SI Layoffs

Auburn Kev

A bit torn about this actually.  Used to LOVE SI back in the day, until they filled many of their pages with stories that would rival The Nat'l Enquirer.

However, I suspect the "network of Maven freelancers & bloggers" means ALL of the pages will likely rival the grocery store checkout aisle rags now....

This is precisely why we are now inundated with fake news.  Oh well.... Bye Bye SI.

If the website redesign is any indication of whats to come they may as well shut the doors and turn off the lights. What a disaster.

On 10/3/2019 at 6:26 PM, AUsince72 said:

Used to LOVE SI back in the day, until they filled many of their pages with stories that would rival The Nat'l Enquirer.

Yep. Used to have insightful well-written articles. Today it is garbage like most publications. Not sad to see them fade away.

On 10/9/2019 at 11:32 AM, oracle79 said:

Yep. Used to have insightful well-written articles. Today it is garbage like most publications. Not sad to see them fade away.

Yep....back in my youth, ..college days, etc... SI had great writers ...Frank DeFord, Robert Creamer and Dan Jenkins come to mind....and they wrote some good stories that mostly had no social or political agenda...just sports entertainment.  But somewhere in the 70s or 80s it started changing and I guess has gradually gone down hill with diminished quality of the journalism. 

Like it or not, the current crop of contributors to SI are barely a step above amateur bloggers except they probably have expense accounts that enables them to do a bit of research if they chose to. 

Archived