Tom Herman

Auburn Kev

Pressure must be getting to Herman.

Thankful that Auburn has a Head Coach who displays class and dignity through all situations.

Texas coach Tom Herman apologizes for obscene gesture on live TV

ByDEAN STRAKA 

Tom Herman issued an apology during his signing day press conference Wednesday afternoon after the third-year Texas football head coach was seen flipping off a Longhorn Network camera on live television.

Herman's gesture occurred Wednesday morning when the Longhorn Network cut to a live look-in at him and several other coaches in a meeting room during the network's live coverage of the start of the Early Signing Period. Herman, sitting at the end of the conference room table, gave the double-bird to the camera moments into the shot for all to see.

Herman, during his apology, told reporters that he and other members of Longhorns coaching staff were making jokes about the Texas-Oklahoma game during Herman's first season as head coach in 2017 when the gesture occurred. Herman added that he was unaware that the meeting room was being shown on live television at the time.

"Obviously before we start, I do want to apologize for something that ended up on live television this morning," Herman said. "We were joking, quite frankly, about my first experience riding into the Cotton Bowl Stadium on the bus and the warm welcome you receive in the Red River game. I think I told you guys as well. When it occurred, I honestly had no idea -- I wasn't aware that the camera in the room was on live television. It certainly had nothing to do with Longhorn Network, signing day or anything. Again, regardless, it was poor judgment on my part and I do apologize for that."

Herman and the Longhorns are coming off a 7-5 finish to the 2019 regular season. Texas began the year ranked No. 10 in the AP Top 25 poll after recording its first 10-win season 2009, but injuries and more quickly spoiled the team's aspirations of a Big 12 Championship and more this fall. The Longhorns are set to take on Pac-12 runner-up Utah later this month in the Valero Alamo Bowl in San Antonio, Texas.

As far as recruiting is concerned, the Longhorns' 2020 haul is ranked inside the Top 10 per the 247Sports Composite and could add more in the coming days. Herman spent several minutes with ESPN earlier on Wednesday to kick-off the Early Signing Period, addressing several questions about this year's class and recent coaching moves within his staff since the end of the regular season.

"Well, it's small and we knew it was going to be small. And still be, you know, still be that highly ranked is indicative of the quality. It may not have the quantity, but the quality. A lot of in-state guys and a lot of guys that are ready to come to the University of Texas and get their degree and help us win championships."

As of Wednesday afternoon, 16 Texas commits from the Class of 2020 have signed their National Letter of Intent. Texas 2020 recruiting class ranks No. 1 in the Big 12 and No. 9 nationally, per the 247Sports Composite.

23 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

. Texas 2020 recruiting class ranks No. 1 in the Big 12 and No. 9 nationally, per the 247Sports Composite.

With all the talent out there, Texas should almost always lead the Big 12 in recruiting....and winning too perhaps.   Aggies and Jimbo making it difficult for him though. 

The first time I ever looked at an Oklahoma roster I was a young kid with a 1950's Orange Bowl program in hand. All but two or three of the Okie players hailed from Texas and I don't think much has changed over the years. They cut into the Texas talent pool pretty heavily.

I've noticed that 2018-19 for Texas strongly mirrored 2002-3 for us. As a secondary Horns fan I wouldn't mind that pattern extending another year. \m/

38 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The first time I ever looked at an Oklahoma roster I was a young kid with a 1950's Orange Bowl program in hand. All but two or three of the Okie players hailed from Texas and I don't think much has changed over the years. They cut into the Texas talent pool pretty heavily.

Dallas is a big city for OU alumni.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

What obscene gesture did Herman do on TV? Is there a link?

double bird.  it's in the article in the OP.

• 2 weeks later...

Herman has turned out to be an average coach at best. Kind of like Gus. The coach at VT (Fuente) has turned out to be in this category as well. Where have all of the good coaches gone?

1 hour ago, doc4aday said:

Herman has turned out to be an average coach at best. Kind of like Gus. The coach at VT (Fuente) has turned out to be in this category as well. Where have all of the good coaches gone?

I know what you mean to say but an average head coach can look like a great coach if they make the right hires and surround themselves with good assistants and talent. See LSU. Not to take anything away from Coach O, I like him, but he had a great supporting staff. Maybe that makes him a great coach but I think he's a great talent evaluator. 

10 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

If Herman doesn't kick things up another notch, the Texas boosters might be reaching for their check books.

He hired Yurich as his new OC. Don't think he has picked his new DC yet.

He cleaned house on his staff

Archived