Matt Ruhle to NFL

BJCrawford

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I would prefer you not play both sides. Again, who wants to commit to a coach who says "HEY I PLAN ON BEING HERE, BUT IF THE RIGHT OFFER COMES THEN I AM OUT?"

I don't see that as playing both sides. Again, its clear his players knew exactly what he was talking about and respected his decision. I'll side with their take. 

“He said, if he has an opportunity to talk with an NFL team, it would be kinda dumb not to,” linebacker Terrel Bernard said. “Just for him, personally. We have a veteran team, I think all the guys understand where he’s coming from.”

“He just came in there and told us straight up, what he thought, and what he wanted to do and what was going,[on]” linebacker Jordan Williams said. “He’s just gonna tell us if he makes a decision.”

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Barnacle said:

I thought I responded to this earlier, but don't see it. So apologies if this is a double post. 

It makes sense to me that he would consider other offers. I've had jobs that I was happy with. I had no immediate plans of leaving, but I also entertained some select offers when they came up. I told them I'm happy where I am, but I want to know what I'm turning down before I turn you down flat. You never know when someone is going to make you an offer you can't refuse. 

You should always consider options, but I wouldn't tell my employee I plan on staying. That is just me. How about just saying "I am an employee of Baylor and I am fully committed in doing my duties as the head coach of this institution." You really don't have to tell the world your intentions or what is even going through your mind. Guess what? If I were Baylor and he was wavering like this, how comfortable would you feel in his commitment for the future?

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I don't see that as playing both sides. Again, its clear his players knew exactly what he was talking about and respected his decision. I'll side with their take. 

“He said, if he has an opportunity to talk with an NFL team, it would be kinda dumb not to,” linebacker Terrel Bernard said. “Just for him, personally. We have a veteran team, I think all the guys understand where he’s coming from.”

“He just came in there and told us straight up, what he thought, and what he wanted to do and what was going,[on]” linebacker Jordan Williams said. “He’s just gonna tell us if he makes a decision.”

Listen, we ain't going to agree. We rarely do. We might as well just move on.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

You should always consider options, but I wouldn't tell my employee I plan on staying. That is just me. How about just saying "I am an employee of Baylor and I am fully committed in doing my duties as the head coach of this institution." You really don't have to tell the world your intentions or what is even going through your mind. Guess what? If I were Baylor and he was wavering like this, how comfortable would you feel in his commitment for the future?

I respect him for being honest with his players, and that was the purpose of my comment to begin with. You said he was telling kids he was staying, and honestly, that's just not true. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

I respect him for being honest with his players, and that was the purpose of my comment to begin with. You said he was telling kids he was staying, and honestly, that's just not true. 

I didn't say he told his kids he was STAYING, I quoted directly what he said in the article: out of his mouth 'I PLAN TO STAY." You don't have to agree with it.

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

I would prefer you not play both sides. Again, who wants to commit to a coach who says "HEY I PLAN ON BEING HERE, BUT IF THE RIGHT OFFER COMES THEN I AM OUT?"

You might be okay with that but I bet not hear any complaints when a player flips, commits but listens/and visits many other schools, etc. 

For a player, then, the obvious strategy is to sign with a terrible school - the coach won't get offers, and continuity is assured....

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

I didn't say he told his kids he was STAYING, I quoted directly what he said in the article: out of his mouth 'I PLAN TO STAY." You don't have to agree with it.

Fair enough. 

We clearly don't agree on this point. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

We rarely do. 

Sometimes I wonder if you confuse me for other posters. I agree with you far more than I disagree, TBH. 

Just now, EagleEye67 said:

For a player, then, the obvious strategy is to sign with a terrible school - the coach won't get offers, and continuity is assured....

Honestly for me, it is not even he is getting offers, it is the double standards.

4 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/giants-declined-to-match-matt-rhules-contract-with-panthers-before-hiring-joe-judge-per-report/

This is interesting. No clue if it is true.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly for me, it is not even he is getting offers, it is the double standards.

But aren't you railing Ruhle for playing both sides? If you aren't doing the same when players flip, isn't that applying a double standard?

Personally, I try not to give either players or coaches very much grief. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

But aren't you railing Ruhle for playing both sides? If you aren't doing the same when players flip, isn't that applying a double standard?

Personally, I try not to give either players or coaches very much grief. 

Is this really hard to comprehend? I am calling out there fans who whine about players who flip from their commitments but have nothing to say about this. I don't care if you are okay with this, but I don't want to hear anyone whining when a player flips or they want benefits. I just don't want to hear it. Let it be both ways.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Everyone wants the next Sean McVay...

...or his girlfriend

Just now, DAG said:

Is this really hard to comprehend? I am calling out there fans who whine about players who flip from their commitments but have nothing to say about this. I don't care if you are okay with this, but I don't want to hear anyone whining when a player flips or they want benefits. I just don't want to hear it. Let it be both ways.

Yeah I see that you're calling out fans, but you're also calling out Ruhle, which is confusing given your position above. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

Yeah I see that you're calling out fans, but you're also calling out Ruhle, which is confusing given your position above. 

I did and I ALREADY EXPRESSED WHY I DIDN'T AGREE WITH THE WAY HE MANEUVERED. You said professionally you are okay with that. I don't move that way. Again, we don't have to agree. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

I did and I ALREADY EXPRESSED WHY I DIDN'T AGREE WITH THE WAY HE MANEUVERED. You said professionally you are okay with that. I don't move that way. Again, we don't have to agree. 

We don't agree on how he handled the situation - and I'm cool with that, but is it not wildly inconsistent to tell everyone you better not catch them complaining about players while you freely complain about similar conduct by coaches? Isn't that the exact double standard you are complaining about in the first place?

Is the double standard okay, just so long as it affects coaches negatively, and not players? If that is your position, I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable. 

Edit: in fairness to @DAG, he was simply saying that it's okay to disagree with the decisions coaches and players make in how they handle their decision making process, but none of them should be judged for their decisions to do what's best for them and theirs. 

10 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

We don't agree on how he handled the situation - and I'm cool with that, but is it not wildly inconsistent to tell everyone you better not catch them complaining about players while you freely complain about similar conduct by coaches? Isn't that the exact double standard you are complaining about in the first place?

Is the double standard okay, just so long as it affects coaches negatively, and not players? If that is your position, I don't think it's an entirely unreasonable. 

Yeah because I said all of that. Carry on.

My policy has always been,” if you want to talk to me about a job, I’ll listen “ Steve Spurrier! Every coach she say this publicly the way he did. Then you don’t even have to comment after that. 

52 minutes ago, alexava said:

My policy has always been,” if you want to talk to me about a job, I’ll listen “ Steve Spurrier! Every coach she say this publicly the way he did. Then you don’t even have to comment after that. 

Yep. Always take the meeting.

Got no problem with what Ruhle said and in fact respect the honesty. If you say you're definitely doing this or definitely not doing that, you're probably lying. 

And I agree that players should be afforded the same respect. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yep. Always take the meeting.

Got no problem with what Ruhle said and in fact respect the honesty. If you say you're definitely doing this or definitely not doing that, you're probably lying. 

And I agree that players should be afforded the same respect. 

Yep....he had the advantage of the recent change in signing date …..such that he had his incoming class signed and was not having to risk a bunch jumping ship at the last minute before the old Feb date.    The kids still have a chance to leave I think but at least the incoming coach will have an opportunity to save most or all of the 2020 class. 

Successful college coaches that get big nfl offers are crazy not to go. They can fail miserably and come back to another gold mine in college.. if he slid to 7-5 next year all that is gone. 

50 minutes ago, alexava said:

Successful college coaches that get big nfl offers are crazy not to go. They can fail miserably and come back to another gold mine in college.. if he slid to 7-5 next year all that is gone. 

Yep...nature of college football these days.   Any coach who strikes gold with a couple unexpected 11-2 seasons should start looking at opportunities for a lifetime security contract and take it.  Like a player staying another year when he could be drafted in the first round....that next year could be the end of a really great business opportunity.  

8 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Is that why we’ve been so successful in recruiting lately?

NFL owners reportedly unhappy with his contract....immediately jumps to near the top of the coaching salary for the league....which might set a new standard for what it takes to hire/keep an NFL coach.    Jimmy Sexton his agent?   

Archived