2021 4* QB Dematrius Davis Commits to AU!

ellitor

I was really impressed with the classy way Davis announced.  I really, really wanted him to come.  It's hard to fully appreciated how hard it is to win a 6A Div1 football state championship in Texas. This kid is a pure winner.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

New Auburn QB commit driven to be "the last team playing"

by Steve Wiltfong

62 minutes ago

With just three seconds on the clock, a 10-year old Dematrius Davis took off, broke five tackles and 60-yards later found the end zone in delivering the Humble Area Eagles the local championship.

“He didn’t think he could do it, I told him he could do it and he went out and did it,” Davis’s father said, starting in on the memories.

Two years later Davis definitely knew he could do it, guiding the North Houston Gators to a triple overtime victory for another title. Three years after that, the famous Hail Mary pass as a uber-confident sophomore in the Texas 6-A Division-I state final, capping a five touchdown pass performance to lead Houston (Texas) North Shore to a 41-36 victory over Duncanville.

“Oh that was amazing right there,” the elder Davis said. “It was even more amazing to be on the field after the game with him. Beautiful moment.”

The family shared another beautiful moment Sunday morning when the 6-foot, 190-pound Davis announced his commitment to Auburn. He’ll head to The Plains and the SEC with the same goal he’s had as a football player going back to when he was five-years old.

“Be the last team playing no matter what,” his dad stated.

Davis was again on the last team standing last fall as North Shore beat those same young men from Duncanville to claim a second-straight state title in the Lone Star State’s largest class. Over the last two seasons, Davis has thrown for 5,743 yards and 73 touchdowns with another 1,592 rushing yards and 27 more scores, leading his team to a 31-1 record over that span. He is the most decorated high school football player in the country heading into his senior season, but it didn’t come without a lot of work and dedication, from workouts with a big team of trainers to attending camps since the third grade which includes the Manning Passing Academy the last four years. He works with several private quarterback coaches in former NFL signal-callers Jeff Blake and Clint Stoerner along with JP Tillman and he’s been seeing former NFL running back Derrick Blaylock since he was seven-years old for speed, agility and eventually strength training. In fact, Saturday night Davis and some of his North Shore teammates were getting in a workout with Blaylock.

“Just grinding, no days off,” Davis father said. “Just trying to get better and better. There’s been ups and downs. He always has a question mark on him because he’s not 6-3, 6-4. It’s been a rollercoaster but at the same time we’ve enjoyed a lot of good moments. We’re looking forward to him having continued success.”

The people around Davis are expecting continued success, one more campaign at North Shore then off to Auburn and beyond. The Tigers head into the fall with Bo Nix at the controls as one of the nation's most promising sophomores. Davis will push the quarterback room from day one and ultimately battle 2020 signee Chayil Garnett as the successor down the road.

“His ability to lead a team,” Blaylock said. “A team that’s anything, they have to have a leader, they have to have someone they can look to and believe in and trust in and know they have their back no matter what. And those are the qualities he possesses. He’ll do whatever it takes for you and you would want to fight for that guy, you would want to go to war with that guy, that’s the guy you want leading your room. Just the way he carries himself, his dedication to the game, just his character, he’s humble, his work ethic is second to none, he always has a positive attitude, so many things man. When you talk about the total package, this kid, his name, he’s definitely the total package.”

“Dee is a winner,” Tillman said. “Always has been. He won the city championship in Pop Warner ball down here beating (Texas commit) Jalen Milroe in the ship. Nothing has changed since then. The kid has a one of a kind work ethic that has been instilled by his father. No days off is the motto. Something Dee knows well and fully. Nothing was ever given to him through any stages of this process. He has earned any and everything and that has made him who he is today.”

Blake’s son Emory played for Gus Malzahn at Auburn and sees the Tigers program as a perfect fit for Davis.

“I think most of the quarterbacks that have played for Malzahn have been pretty good,” Blake started in. He knows a thing too having played 14 years in the NFL after finishing sixth in the Heisman Trophy voting coming out of East Carolina in 1991. “One that has a Heisman Trophy winner and first overall draft pick to his name. I think Bo Nix will be a top draft pick when he comes out. If Nick Marshall was more of a passer he probably would’ve been a top draft pick but he still took them all the way to the National Championship game. Malzahn has taken two types of quarterbacks to the National Championship game and he has the best of both worlds with Dematrius. He has the ability to run like Nick Marshall and he has the ability to throw the ball like a Russell Wilson. Accurate and fearless with the ball down the field, he is good at attacking with his throws, he’s not passive at all, he’s not afraid to put it in a tight hole if he has too.”

Davis chooses to play for Malzahn, offensive coordinator Chad Morris and Auburn over Miami and Virginia Tech, where he was once committed for about six months.

“I would have to say being closer to home,” Davis’s father said of what sealed the deal for Auburn. “I would have to say a chance to be coached by a high-quality coach and coached hard, and a chance to win a National Championship. He wants to win a National Championships.”

He wants to be the last team playing.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I think we take back some of those boys 

They only have 1 commit we have/are recruiting hard & would take FWIW.

It's really surprising to me that nobody else wanted a 4* QB and a 4*OT. Guess Auburn was just lucky nobody else wanted them. Anyway that's good.

Edited by bg5
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Finally a QB fit . Holy crap it’s about time . Huge pickup 

Stidham & Bo were/are system fits. One wasn't fully utilized for his abilities & the other hasn't yet fully. I actually think Bo is even a better fit for a Chad O than a Gus O. a lot of similarities but still some differences too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Stidham & Bo were/are system fits. One wasn't fully utilized for his abilities & the other hasn't yet fully. I actually think Bo is even a better fit for a Chad O than a Gus O. a lot of similarities but still some differences too.

It's tough to tell what we really have in a QB without a quality OL. Hopefully that is starting to be corrected.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If you can get any kind of pipeline into the Metroplex and Houston areas opened up, then holy hell things change in a hurry.

I think @bigbird has been saying this since he was a hatchling.

20 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Darson Herman

Disappointed 247 or Rivals don't have a profile of him.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bg5 said:

It's really surprising to me that nobody else wanted a 4* QB and a 4*OT.

???

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

???

Remember last week when everyone was complaining that Auburn could not get anyone someone else wanted. I was being sarcastic about the sudden change in attitudes. I even saw someone who said someone always gets the ones we want say and we don't get anyone say another big pick up for us. It's just funny that fans are so one extreme or the other.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bg5 said:

Remember last week when everyone was complaining that Auburn could not get anyone someone else wanted.

Not really. Just saw people griping about not landing anybody.

Thanks for the explanation though.

And we just keep on boom boom booming boom boom 💥 War Eagle 🦅 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Davis has been recruiting for AU for over a week FWIW.

I scanned and didn't see anything on it but is DD a possible early entry next year?

Edited by gr82be

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

???

E, you were doing so well with sarcasm there for a few months! Gotta get you back on ur game. We’ve gotta get you some more at bats 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

E, you were doing so well with sarcasm there for a few months! Gotta get you back on ur game. We’ve gotta get you some more at bats 

Not a sarcasm issue there. I hadn't noticed what bg5 later said about people complaining about us not getting players other teams had wanted.

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

I scanned and didn't see anything on it but is DD a possible early entry next year?

No clue. Haven't seen a report on that of any of our new commits.

• Thanks 1

Over/under on the number of times we will hear that DD is from Texas? (Assuming he’s signs and sees playing time.)

35 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Over/under on the number of times we will hear that DD is from Texas? (Assuming he’s signs and sees playing time.)

Another sign that Chad is gonna be running the show.  Every month I am believing more and more that we are gonna have a more dynamic, less predictable offense!!!!!   Besides all the physical tools this kid seems to have the right mindset and football IQ to make himself one of the greats.  War Damn Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 6