The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It

Auburnfan91

Just now, TitanTiger said:

First, it's not just deaths that matter here.  For everyone it actually kills, it's putting many many more in ICUs, taking up beds and ventilators and staff attention from patients with other serious conditions.  For many of those who survive, it is starting to show lingering and perhaps permanent ongoing serious health issues.

Also, we've spent billions over the years on flu vaccines and it only has about at 0.1% chance of killing you.  The measles has about a 0.2% chance.  Billions are spent by the pharmaceutical industry every single year on conditions that aren't even deadly - they just cause discomfort, or inconvenience, or hamper people being able to do all the things they'd like to do and be more independent.  Since when do we try to use such a measuring stick to decide whether the expenditure is worthwhile?

I was asking medical guy. But you'll do.

How does testing for COVID (the most commonly used RNA tests that take days to get the results) prevent deaths and the use of ICU beds and ventilators? Vaccines for flu are not tests. Testing for flu makes sense because there is a treatment. Rarely is anyone tested for measles. None of the rest of your reply is discussing testing. Many people always try to expend resources only if they are deemed to be worthwhile. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Hey medical guy, how many conditions do you know of where billions is spent to test for a condition that has no treatment and only has a 1% chance to kill you?

How many other medical conditions do you know of that are on pace to lap the field on influenza and other infectious diseases?

Testing and tracing are an important part of combating the virus, even if a vaccine or cure are still a way off. 

Just now, AUDub said:

How many other medical conditions do you know of that are on pace to lap the field on influenza and other infectious diseases?

Testing and tracing are an important part of combating the virus, even if a vaccine or cure are still a way off. 

Thank you for not answering my question medical guy.

2 minutes ago, Grumps said:

Thank you for not answering my question medical guy.

I answered your question with a rhetorical question. 

Buuuut I get the feeling it went over your head. Natch. 

33 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

If we're having a discussion over what the greatest NBA team of all time is or whether Chicago deep dish or NY-style pizza is the best, then sure, "evidence can mean different things to different people."

In science, that's utter horse***t and you should know better.

Tell it to this doctor. https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeating-covid-19-already-exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-1519535

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I think I'll wait for consensus.

you'll have to define that for him. He thinks that's a type of food. 

Just now, Grumps said:

How does testing for COVID (the most commonly used RNA tests that take days to get the results) prevent deaths and the use of ICU beds and ventilators?

Taking a stab at it not being a medical guy...I'd say that since we know the R-naught factor for this novel coronavirus is significantly higher than the flu and that the death rate is significantly higher than the flu as well, that testing would help us identify those infected and quarantine them to help minimize their ability to infect others.  The fewer people that get infected and the more we can slow down the spread, the less likely it is that we will overwhelm our medical staff, ICU and ventilator capacity.

Just now, Grumps said:

Vaccines for flu are not tests. Testing for flu makes sense because there is a treatment. Rarely is anyone tested for measles. None of the rest of your reply is discussing testing. Many people always try to expend resources only if they are deemed to be worthwhile. 

The death and hospitalization rates for flu and measles are about 10x less than what we think COVID will end up being.  Testing isn't just for when you have a treatment.  There are many factors involved.

We tested people for HIV for many, many years long before there was a drug regimen that could allow someone to actually live after catching it.  Why was that?  Perhaps partly so they would know they have it and won't give it to others?

Just now, AUDub said:

you'll have to define that for him. He thinks that's a type of food. 

What's amazing is how many people are trying to rush the scientific method.  It's not a fast process.  Never has been.  The fact that the medical community thinks a vaccine could be found within 18 months is actually lightning fast.

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Taking a stab at it not being a medical guy...I'd say that since we know the R-naught factor for this novel coronavirus is significantly higher than the flu and that the death rate is significantly higher than the flu as well, that testing would help us identify those infected and quarantine them to help minimize their ability to infect others.  The fewer people that get infected and the more we can slow down the spread, the less likely it is that we will overwhelm our medical staff, ICU and ventilator capacity.

The death and hospitalization rates for flu and measles are about 10x less than what we think COVID will end up being.  Testing isn't just for when you have a treatment.  There are many factors involved.

We tested people for HIV for many, many years long before there was a drug regimen that could allow someone to actually live after catching it.  Why was that?  Perhaps partly so they would know they have it and won't give it to others?

This is the whole point behind the idea of "flattening the curve." We really can't stop its spread, but we can slow it to a degree that all medical resources can be brought to bear where needed without overwhelming the system. Triage absolutely must be avoided, otherwise people will die needlessly. 

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

So you get to decide what is BS. I see.

Do you have any proof SocialCircle does a single thing as a school board member that is an embarassment? Nope. Pure BS.

Don't you know that "Bogging down the forum with bull**** does more damage than any insult..."?

Truly pathetic. I don't know enough about what you being a clinical eng. means so I will just pretend to be impressed, but I won't bash your personal life if I disagree with you, even with your permission. 

you mean when i mentioned in a thread about being molested and you made a joke about child molestation? yeah you were really classy that day. get out of here with that crap. you ever see the pain and crap a kid goes through who had some old sweating son of a bitch had you in a headlock? do you have any idea? the sorrow? the suffering?you know what it is like to smell their vitalis fifty some odd years later? the damage that never goes away? grumps you cannot have it both ways. it was bad enough the mods had to remove the page it was tacky. so you go pray for your own sins before you jump someone else. YOU made fun of a pain a child should never have to suffer. ever. hypocrite. you disqualify judging any name calling on here at all. and of course you never said you were sorry because i am just an old stinking lib right? some of you people kill me with your bull.

50 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

You are speaking (very unprofessionally and insultingly at times) from your perspective as it relates to your work. I get that and understand that. There is another perspective that isn’t necessarily wrong and many doctors also have this same perspective (and many don’t as well). The perspective is their job is to save lives and if they have actually used a treatment that has saved numerous lives when they have seen many people die.....well they ain’t waiting to see if it is “proven” because seeing is believing. There is nothing wrong with this perspective. 

The kicker, SC, is that what that perspective requires to ensure its validity is something called evidence. Some random GP prescribing HCQ along with zinc/zithromax/a steroid doesn't really provide evidence of efficacy, and only a dumbass would assert as much. Until a proper clinical trial is completed, they may as well be prescribing a sugar pill and dihydrogen monoxide.

In the meantime,  those drugs are better prescribed to patients with conditions where we know they actually work, patients with RA and Lupus, rather than hoping we can paint a bullseye around the dart after it lands. 

48 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

One doctor versus the medical community at large?  I think I'll wait for consensus.

I wouldn't say medical community at large. Might be a stretch IMO. I researched this a bit last night and there are many doctors claiming success with HCQ in the treatment of COVID19. Not a majority as I alluded to Ben earlier, but enough to give some pause. BTW, don't think that consensus is coming anytime soon.

36 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I wouldn't say medical community at large. Might be a stretch IMO. I researched this a bit last night and there are many doctors claiming success with HCQ in the treatment of COVID19. Not a majority as I alluded to Ben earlier, but enough to give some pause. BTW, don't think that consensus is coming anytime soon.

I don't think a consensus is happening soon either.  It's at least 18 months away and that's warp speed in the scientific community.

Told my wife tonight to buckle up for the long haul because "normal" isn't happening for a long time.

lets cut to the chase shall we? some of you people will believe anything the right puts out there. lol let me just post this here.....

Report: Texas doctor who went viral with unproven COVID-19 cure believes in 'demon sperm'

9d90d141-b144-4d37-a9df-57de4f4a770e-lar
A pharmacist shows a bottle of the drug hydroxychloroquine on Monday, April 6, 2020, in Oakland, Calif. President Donald Trump and his administration kept up their out-sized promotion Monday of an malaria drug not yet officially approved for fighting the new coronavirus, even though scientists say more testing is needed before it’s proven safe and effective against COVID-19. Trump trade adviser Peter Navarro championed hydroxychloroquine in television interviews a day after the president publicly put his faith in the medication to lessen the toll of the coronavirus pandemic. (AP Photo/Ben Margot)
facebook.svgtwitter.svgemail.svg

The Houston doctor who was part of a controversial viral video touting hydroxychloroquine as a "cure" for COVID-19 has said certain gynecological issues are caused by sexual encounters with demons in dreams, along with other dubious medical claims.

The Daily Beast has published an extensive collection of some of the views of Dr. Stella Immanuel, who was part of a video showing a group of doctors making misleading and false claims about the coronavirus pandemic that was removed from Facebook and Twitter--but only after it garnered tens of millions of views and was retweeted by President Donald Trump.

The video recorded in front of the U.S. Supreme Court, according to The Washington Post, claimed that face masks and lockdowns are not needed to stop COVID-19.

RELATED: Twitter temporarily limits Donald Trump Jr.'s account after 'misleading' virus video

During the video, Immanuel claims that she and her staff have used hydroxychloroquine to effectively treat COVID-19 patients and that her staff had avoided the virus wearing simple medical masks as opposed to N95 masks, The Daily Beast reports.

“Hello, you don’t need a mask. There is a cure,” Immanuel said in the video.

The Daily Beast writes:

In her speech, Immanuel alleges that she has successfully treated hundreds of patients with hydroxychloroquine, a controversial treatment Trump has promoted and says he has taken himself. Studies have failed to find proof that the drug has any benefit in treating COVID-19, and the Food and Drug Administration in June revoked its emergency authorization to use it to treat the deadly virus, saying it hadn’t demonstrated any effect on patients’ mortality prospects.

Immanuel is a licensed pediatrician in the State of Texas, according to the Texas Medical Board.

Her practice address is listed as 6278 Highway 6 South in Houston, which Google Maps data shows is also the location of Fire Power Ministries Christian Resource Center, a ministry which is headed by Immanuel.

It's this ministry where Immanuel's more arguably outrageous claims come from, according to The Daily Beast, who looked at sermons and articles posted on her website:

Immanuel claims that medical issues like endometriosis, cysts, infertility, and impotence are caused by sex with “spirit husbands” and “spirit wives”—a phenomenon Immanuel describes essentially as witches and demons having sex with people in a dreamworld.
“They are responsible for serious gynecological problems,” Immanuel said. “We call them all kinds of names—endometriosis, we call them molar pregnancies, we call them fibroids, we call them cysts, but most of them are evil deposits from the spirit husband,” Immanuel said of the medical issues in a 2013 sermon. “They are responsible for miscarriages, impotence—men that can’t get it up.”

The Daily Beast also found that Immanuel claimed in 2015 that an Illuminati plan had been concocted by “a witch” to destroy the world using abortion, gay marriage, and children’s toys. She also claimed that DNA from space aliens is currently being used in medicine.

In the same sermon, Immanuel also claimed the Magic 8-Ball toy was a tool to get people into witchcraft.

Following the video's removal from Facebook, Immanuel took to Twitter to threaten the platform with shutdown "in Jesus name" unless her page and videos are restored.

She also tweeted that she was "in town and available" to meet with President Trump.

god please help those children in ga because stupidity reigns supreme.

8 hours ago, Grumps said:

How does testing for COVID (the most commonly used RNA tests that take days to get the results) prevent deaths and the use of ICU beds and ventilators? Vaccines for flu are not tests. Testing for flu makes sense because there is a treatment. Rarely is anyone tested for measles. None of the rest of your reply is discussing testing. Many people always try to expend resources only if they are deemed to be worthwhile. 

This has been explained to you, yet you persist as though it has hasn't. You should be grateful for any derision pointed your way, because that suggests that people consider you worth wasting their breath on. But that's not going to continue to be the case if you keep this up. 

the article above this post is why i never ever listen to anything from bretbart. they push some of the stupidest stuff out there. years ago they were publishing fake reports about abortion and selling kids brains and all that which was found to be bullsh*t. and some of you folks have the nerve to call people out on what news channels they watch. lol. have a nice day and watch out the demon sperm does not get ya...............

Just now, McLoofus said:

This has been explained to you, yet you persist as though it has hasn't. You should be grateful for any derision pointed your way, because that suggests that people consider you worth wasting their breath on. But that's not going to continue to be the case if you keep this up. 

it has to be the demon sperm loof. and i pray those kids in ga do not fall prey to demon sperm either...........

5 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

it has to be the demon sperm loof. and i pray those kids in ga do not fall prey to demon sperm either...........

Fall prey to it? Their parents made it governor! Well, a lot of them did, like our resident medical expert and wannabe mayor of Unincorporated Covington.

Kemp handled the rest himself. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Fall prey to it? Their parents made it governor! Well, a lot of them did, like our resident medical expert and wannabe mayor of Unincorporated Covington.

Kemp handled the rest himself. 

can you or anyone tell me why they have such faith in nuts? did they google it like i did and find it ok because they believe in the ol demon sperm? i am dead serious. i mean how do they justify this while denying true facts? i just do not get it and i guess i never will.

9 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

One doctor versus the medical community at large?  I think I'll wait for consensus.

There is the problem. It isn’t just one doctor. There are many. In the meantime people are unnecessarily dying. This treatment in the correct dosage is very, very safe. It can only help the vast, vast majority of people if given to them at the early stages of COVID-19. 

4 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

There is the problem. It isn’t just one doctor. There are many. In the meantime people are unnecessarily dying. This treatment in the correct dosage is very, very safe. It can only help the vast, vast majority of people if given to them at the early stages of COVID-19. 

just beware of the demon sperm cj..............

Archived