2021 5* OT Amarius Mims UGA

ellitor

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, WarEagle2423 said:

I can personally confirm he was in Auburn this weekend. I’m not an insider, but I’m a student at AU. 

I guess the NCAA cannot restrict the travel of American citizens, but there is this:

"NCAA dead period extended through January 1, 2021 for Division 1 sports." https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-recruiting-suspended

He may have been here wandering around on his own, but it certainly wasn't on any sort of school or staff sponsored visit. Or, if it was we are in some deep doo-doo.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I guess the NCAA cannot restrict the travel of American citizens, but there is this:

"NCAA dead period extended through January 1, 2021 for Division 1 sports." https://www.ncsasports.org/coronavirus-sports/ncaa-recruiting-suspended

He may have been here wandering around on his own, but it certainly wasn't on any sort of school or staff sponsored visit. Or, if it was we are in some deep doo-doo.

Not 100% certain of the rules, but I doubt the NCAA can stop him from visiting somewhere if he doesn’t have contact with any coaches and comes on his own accord (pays his own way). I could be wrong on that, but that would not make sense to me. He could’ve just been here visiting friends that happened to be football players haha. 

4 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Not 100% certain of the rules, but I doubt the NCAA can stop him from visiting somewhere if he doesn’t have contact with any coaches and comes on his own accord (pays his own way). I could be wrong on that, but that would not make sense to me. He could’ve just been here visiting friends that happened to be football players haha. 

Agreed. Read my first sentence.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

If you’ve paid attention to any recruiting the past couple of months you would know that a number of recruits have visited a number of schools on their own or with a group of recruits. Like you said it just can’t be sponsored by Auburn and they can’t have contact with our staff. Under the dead period Rules recruits can visit campuses just as Malcolm Johnson did for us just before he committed to us. Back to Mims, Keith says he plans to return for another visit.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

If you’ve paid attention to any recruiting the past couple of months you would know that a number of recruits have visited a number of schools on their own or with a group of recruits. Like you said it just can’t be sponsored by Auburn and they can’t have contact with our staff. Under the dead period Rules recruits can visit campuses just as Malcolm Johnson did for us just before he committed to us. Back to Mims, Keith says he plans to return for another visit.

dfsdfs.gif

Captain obvious, "Mims would be a huge get."

Would be fire to pick him and Scoob up.

On 9/21/2020 at 1:56 PM, McLoofus said:

Bet my dude is hard to miss. 

Seems like we might be a couple weeks away from a little bump in momentum. Just my guess. Would be a game changer if Mims were part of that. Regardless, I get the feeling that AU football is about to go zero to 60 real fast. If we win our first two games, we might go plaid. 

Quality Starts, 2019 Fantasy Baseball

JBoy and Tay saying almost exactly the same thing starting at the 6:40 mark. Listen to the whole thing though.

10 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Just my personal opinion but I think the chances of us getting Mims is about 5%. However if we do not beat UGA this year the chances are 0%. We MUST beat UGA. 

Why does it matter one bit whether or not we beat UGA?  That should factor in 0% in a player's recruitment.

1 minute ago, War to the Eagle said:

Why does it matter one bit whether or not we beat UGA?  That should factor in 0% in a player's recruitment.

And the gone but not forgotten @ellitor has said numerous times that a team beating another team doesn't tend to affect recruits' decisions.

3 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

Why do you say that it shouldn't be a factor at all? 

Just now, jared52 said:

And the gone but not forgotten @ellitor has said numerous times that a team beating another team doesn't tend to affect recruits' decisions.

It's usually not a significant factor but sometimes it matters. Mims puts a very high premium on getting on the field early and being put in a position to succeed. 

That much I already knew, but if you guys genuinely have questions about it, the info is out there. I just googled Amarius Mims and this was from one of the first results.

How does he compare Alabama and Georgia? 

Georgia signed seven offensive linemen in 2020, including a pair of All-American tackles and an All-American hybrid OL.

“With Georgia, the thing is they haven’t [gotten commitments from] any tackles in my class this year,” Mims said. “Besides Micah [Morris].”

Morris is a talented lineman. Capable of playing multiple spots across the line like former 5-star Cade Mays. He could shine at guard or tackle in the SEC. He’s even mentioned he’d be willing to train at center if called upon. With his 4.75 grade-point average and 415-pound bench press (earlier this year) he had the intelligence and positional versatility to play multiple positions at UGA.

It would be hard to see the 6-foot-8 Mims playing anything but tackle on Saturdays.

The one thing I would say with Georgia is they have guys that are already there in 2020. I heard they signed four tackles so they have four tackles already on the campus learning the plays and all that already.”

Alabama is loading up this year, with what looks like a trio of All-American tackles in their 2021 class.

“Alabama on the other hand has guys that are committed in my class,” Mims said. “So if I were to go there, we’d all get in at the same time. So we’d all get equal time and time to shine.”

When comparing these two, he feels that Alabama has the edge in the proven NFL pipelines, the tradition and trophies.

“Alabama has the history of winning and then Georgia hasn’t won as much lately,” Mims said. “But I feel like they are on the come up with winning.”

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/recruiting/amarius-mims-the-5-star-ot-shared-8-very-interesting-things-about-his-recruitment

29 minutes ago, War to the Eagle said:

While it should not matter, it does if one team hardly ever wins. It has proven to be tough going against Georgia who says to a recruit from Georgia "you can go to AU but we will beat you every year"... and they just about do. Reminds me of B Jones last year. We have to prove we can beat that team at some point, and not just once in 7 years. Like the old saying... If you can't beat them, join them.

We still get a few studs from Georgia, but the days of us poaching Georgia like we used to are over. If the recruits are 50/50 and trying to decide between the 2 schools, I would think our chances would be greater to pull these guys if we were dominating them every year on the field.  

Also I may be wrong (and wont be the first time) but I think either jboy on his show or 247 AU podcast about a month ago said that we must prove we can beat UGA to win some of these recruiting battles in that state. Basically said if we don't  win we have no shot. 

18 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

While it should not matter, it does if one team hardly ever wins. It has proven to be tough going against Georgia who says to a recruit from Georgia "you can go to AU but we will beat you every year"... and they just about do. Reminds me of B Jones last year. We have to prove we can beat that team at some point, and not just once in 7 years. Like the old saying... If you can't beat them, join them.

We still get a few studs from Georgia, but the days of us poaching Georgia like we used to are over. If the recruits are 50/50 and trying to decide between the 2 schools, I would think our chances would be greater to pull these guys if we were dominating them every year on the field.  

Definitely, one win or loss in itself is not going to matter a whole lot but we have been straight up dominated by uga the last decade and a half now. It’s really hard to win the recruiting battles for the out of state recruits when the home school consistently wins it on the field. The uga curse has to end soon....right? 😭

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Definitely, one win or loss in itself is not going to matter a whole lot but we have been straight up dominated by uga the last decade and a half now. It’s really hard to win the recruiting battles for the out of state recruits when the home school consistently wins it on the field. The uga curse has to end soon....right? 😭

It has been just about unbearable. The one year that we did beat them, they turned around and beat us three weeks later when it really mattered. Sickening. The last couple of years I’ve gotten to the point where that is the only game I actually care about (Of course I wanna win them all but that one means the most). Plus I don’t like their coach. 

5 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Beating them could undoubtably help in his recruitment as winning certain games are having more more of a affect on Recruitments then it did in the past. To think it couldn’t have an effect Is mind-numbingly off.

5 hours ago, jared52 said:

Things have changed in recent years. Winning certain games do help current recruiting battles.

4 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

either jboy on his show or 247 AU podcast about a month ago said that we must prove we can beat UGA to win some of these recruiting battles in that state. Basically said if we don't  win we have no shot

If people would take a step back and look at the larger picture here they would see that yes this is logically correct. Especially given UGA has owned our ass 12 the last 15 times we’ve played them.

On 9/25/2020 at 3:47 PM, ellitor said:

If people would take a step back and look at the larger picture here they would see that yes this is logically correct. Especially given UGA has owned our ass 12 the last 15 times we’ve played them.

You just officially launched, Thuga Hate Week!

Hey at least we are getting them early; usually they have 10 games to get kids back from probation and figure things out.  

On 9/25/2020 at 3:47 PM, ellitor said:

I hate liking this but it’s the truth . We need to consistently beat GA. Kirby smart is not scared of AU. He has owned Gus top to bottom . 

E was correct in the past when he said winning a single game does not have a big impact on recruiting. That does not mean winning doesn't help.  Winning large number of games 10-13 every year helps, consistently beating an opposing team helps.  Right now when we are competing in Georgia against Georgia for recruits if we win this year Kirby will say even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then or this wasn't a normal year because of the pandemic.. But if we could beat them at their house this year then win at our house next year it starts to change the narrative.

I think we have a chance to win in Georgia on Saturday but it will not be easy. PT is our big selling point for Mims if we could win it might be enough along with PT to help us. Since they have beat us so many times recently I think losing would hurt us.

On 9/25/2020 at 10:13 AM, War to the Eagle said:

we lost a 5* to UT about 2 years ago, primarily because UT kicked our ass lol 

On 9/25/2020 at 11:04 AM, gr82b4au said:

Also I may be wrong (and wont be the first time) but I think either jboy on his show or 247 AU podcast about a month ago said that we must prove we can beat UGA to win some of these recruiting battles in that state. Basically said if we don't  win we have no shot. 

It wasnt just recruiting battles, they've said it every time they mentioned Mims that winning this game is paramount if they're gonna get that guy 

Archived