AU depth chart for UK game

Maverick.AU

13 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Or he’s balled out, been a leader, and earned his shot. I think many of us see that with the talent in our RB room that there will be plenty of guys getting touches this season. You see Shaun as a 5’7 180lb football player. I see an old school football player that loves contact, is a leader, strong, and has world class speed. If you can ball you can ball. You speak of the “standard” but that doesn’t mean a guy won’t succeed because of his size. He’s 5’7 180 but he’s built different. Go watch some of his highlights when he lowers his shoulder into bigger defenders, or plants his foot in the ground and gets upfield. That’s why he is RB1

I don't doubt his effort, commitment; or that unfortunately, he is likely outplaying others with more tools (which is precisely my point).  Given that the Average SEC DL weighs in at over 315 pounds (up nearly 45 pounds in the last 30 years); and our OL is completely suspect, I doubt his ability to make a meaningful impact as the lead RB.  I hope he makes me eat crow; or that Tank or someone else lives up to their recruiting stars.  In Gus's 7th year; we are going into the season with way too many question marks for a guy getting paid that much.  

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, japantiger said:

I don't doubt his effort, commitment; or that unfortunately, he is likely outplaying others with more tools (which is precisely my point).  Given that the Average SEC DL weighs in at over 315 pounds (up nearly 45 pounds in the last 30 years); and our OL is completely suspect, I doubt his ability to make a meaningful impact as the lead RB.  I hope he makes me eat crow; or that Tank or someone else lives up to their recruiting stars.  In Gus's 7th year; we are going into the season with way too many question marks for a guy getting paid that much.  

Again, this guy is built different. People act like we’re starting a 155lb string bean. If our OL turns out being suspect idc who you have at RB, you’re going to have your struggles.

33 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

My only question with that (and I am legitimately asking) is if that block happened in 2020 would that be called offensive targeting?  So if this were Worm (or any smaller RB at any school), would his only option be more reactive blocking, putting him at a disadvantage due to his height.

Don’t overthink it. The point is don’t just judge a book by its cover. 

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don’t overthink it. The point is don’t just judge a book by its cover. 

I like Worm a lot, I was never against him.  It was just a curiosity on the video of if that could be classified as offensive targeting.  And if so, how Worm could best leverage himself when blocking.

48 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Again, this guy is built different. People act like we’re starting a 155lb string bean. If our OL turns out being suspect idc who you have at RB, you’re going to have your struggles.

It's useless, Mav. You're talking to a person who said other running backs- plural- that he's never seen play college football have "more tools". 

Oh wait, there's Harold Joiner, who isn't on the depth chart. And.there's DJ Williams, who failed to actually score on this play:

I wonder which tool he was using on this play that Worm doesn't have. 

On 9/22/2020 at 11:48 PM, japantiger said:

RB...Shivers starting?  Really?  We will have a 5'7" 179lb running back leading the rushing attack?

You can always try out if your not satisfied with that decision 

Just now, Momma Worm said:

You can always try out if your not satisfied with that decision 

I like your new thumbnail!

Worm has another advantage. At his height it is very difficult for defensive linemen and interior LBs to pick up his movement behind our tall offensive linemen. If they don't pick him up and hesitate just a little, that is all he needs with his speed to make a decent gain.

Of course he needs some halfway decent OL blocking too but I re-watched a couple plays last year where he was able to squeeze through a small hole and get to the second level. I don't even think the DL saw him. Like others have also said, he has a strong lower body to go with it.

7 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

That was gut wrenching 

He had another long run in that game that a lot of backs could have probably gotten a lot more out of, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he's half a step faster this season, though. 

And I don't mean to hate on any of our guys. But if we're comparing them to each other, then let's be real about it. 

Put another way, it's crazy that anyone could look at this group of backs- and how they're arranged on the depth chart- and complain about it. That hasn't been true in years past, which is exactly why I couldn't imagine not celebrating it now.

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And I don't mean to hate on any of our guys. But if we're comparing them to each other, then let's be real about it. 

Put another way, it's crazy that anyone could look at this group of backs- and how they're arranged on the depth chart- and complain about it. That hasn't been true in years past, which is exactly why I couldn't imagine not celebrating it now.

Amen and I know u didn’t mean it that way with DJ. He’s very talented too, but with Shaun’s skill set I don’t see how one can use the “other RB’s with more tools” reasoning. Coaches have praised his pass blocking and said he was the most consistent, check. Runs with violence, in his limited touches he has made a good many runs that make you go sheesh, with his power, check. He’s the fastest and most agile RB we have and arguably the biggest home run threat on our team, check. That’s not even mentioning the intangibles.  I don’t know what other tools a guy could have lol

On 9/23/2020 at 3:15 PM, McLoofus said:

People are just so dumb about this. I don't know about other fan bases but Auburn fans really are terrible about it.

What’s Auburn’s issue with small backs?

Picture-9.png

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

and most agile RB

I'm not entirely sure on this one. I think MAR might have that one, although there's most likely not much separating them. Your other checked boxes are right on point though. 

I'm really excited to see him prove the doubters wrong. What I do find interesting is that the "experts", along with other fan bases, have never questioned his size or ability. They have no problem giving Worm respect and the credit he's due.

I hate my guys McClain is behind pappoe. The likelihood of a freak athlete like that in front of you. He's start at almost every other school. 

And my other guy is second at star. I think it would be better to have tutt on the no 2 corner and have Zion starting but what do I know......

I hope we don't mess up the juco corner from Texas......they wanted him at LSU to be a starter....If weleave him 3rd team and he don't play then ends up transferring we are stupid stupid

Oh and I've been trying to tell people about worm since day 1 he's been here. I'll probably have to go through the same with Goodwin when he gets here too. I was telling people about him when he was literally a freshman in high school

39 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And my other guy is second at star. I think it would be better to have tutt on the no 2 corner and have Zion starting but what do I know......

I suggested that exact lineup earlier this spring. I've been high on ZP for what seems like 5 years.

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I was telling people about him when he was literally a freshman in high school

You're right. You brought him to our attention a long time ago. 

I loved watching Lionel “little train” James his last 2 years at Auburn. Comparing him to Worm, Worm is a step faster and a lot  stronger. One thing James could do that made him great is stop on a dime and break ankles with his jukes. If Worm can develop that part of his game he will be a star. 

4 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

Amen and I know u didn’t mean it that way with DJ. He’s very talented too, but with Shaun’s skill set I don’t see how one can use the “other RB’s with more tools” reasoning. Coaches have praised his pass blocking and said he was the most consistent, check. Runs with violence, in his limited touches he has made a good many runs that make you go sheesh, with his power, check. He’s the fastest and most agile RB we have and arguably the biggest home run threat on our team, check. That’s not even mentioning the intangibles.  I don’t know what other tools a guy could have lol

Oh, I don't know, maybe size, leverage, strength, etc., ...just the things that define successful RB's in all 4 divisions of college football for, well, forever.  But I am sure Worm will be different because that's why every major college team is going with 5'7"; 179 lb RB's.  You guys are in serious denial....But hey, I guess you can't help Gus sunshine pumping because; well, all those championships he's delivered for that $50m he's knocking down.  I hope Worm has a blow out year; but you know as well as I do the likelihood of that happening is about the same as Luvell Bivins tackling Greg Richardson in bounds.  

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm really excited to see him prove the doubters wrong. What I do find interesting is that the "experts", along with other fan bases, have never questioned his size or ability. They have no problem giving Worm respect and the credit he's due.

I've always felt like Worm has gotten overwhelming support here. Just a handful of doubters in a sea of supporters, IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I've always felt like Worm has gotten overwhelming support here. Just a handful of doubters in a sea of supporters, IMO. 

In my experience, his overwhelming support has overwhelmingly had a "but he's not a feature back" qualifier attached to it. I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of people who thought he should've been getting carries over a mediocre Boobie Whitlow last season. Harold Joiner had as much support as Worm. That handful might've grown a bit after the play in the IB, though.

36 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Oh, I don't know, maybe size, leverage, strength, etc., ...just the things that define successful RB's in all 4 divisions of college football for, well, forever.  But I am sure Worm will be different because that's why every major college team is going with 5'7"; 179 lb RB's.  You guys are in serious denial....But hey, I guess you can't help Gus sunshine pumping because; well, all those championships he's delivered for that $50m he's knocking down.  I hope Worm has a blow out year; but you know as well as I do the likelihood of that happening is about the same as Luvell Bivins tackling Greg Richardson in bounds.  

Oh except, 2 of the 3 he has. Which you would know had you read the post you quoted. He uses his leverage extremely well, he’s strong, and he may be 5’7, but have you seen his lower body size especially? Honestly I don’t think you have watched a single snap of this guy, or u just would rather hate Bc he’s 5’7. You’re the one who’s in serious denial here my dude. Worm could have a 1500 yd season and I doubt you would “eat crow” like you say. I’m also critical as hell of Gus, but I know a guy that’s earned his shot when I see it. So call it sunshine pumping if that makes you feel better. You have not made any sound argument yet of why Shaun doesn’t deserve to be RB1. Based on your last statement, you don’t want worm to have a breakout year. The fact that you don’t even see it as a “possibility” is pretty telling

Just now, McLoofus said:

In my experience, his overwhelming support has overwhelmingly had a "but he's not a feature back" qualifier attached to it. I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than a handful of people who thought he should've been getting carries over a mediocre Boobie Whitlow last season. Harold Joiner had as much support as Worm. That handful might've grown a bit after the play in the IB, though.

I think you and I see this one differently, especially in comparison to Joiner. But, if there's anyone to blame for his lack of support, it's Gus. I don't think it's anything unique to the Auburn fan base in that regard. For casual fans, it's hard to believe in a guy that the HC didn't believe in enough to get it done as a feature back. 

Archived