Chad leaves Arkansas and they look better

gr82b4au

Just now, gr82b4au said:

Even beat Msu tonight. 

Watched the second half for two reasons, we stunk it up in Athens and my wife went to State. Not taking too much away from Arky winning but that's what you get with Leach. He's as inconsistent as Gus. He actually reminds me more of Tuberville. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Watched the second half for two reasons, we stunk it up in Athens and my wife went to State. Not taking too much away from Arky winning but that's what you get with Leach. He's as inconsistent as Gus. He actually reminds me more of Tuberville. 

I said the same thing last week after MSU beat LSU. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I can give Leach a pass for whatever happens in year one at MSU.  Leach has been inconsistent at places like Texas Tech and Wazzou.  No one has been consistent there.  He might actually be able to build something at MSU.  I definitely cannot compare him to Gus, as he can basically match Gus' Auburn average at programs that are not on Auburn's level.  Unlike Auburn, Texas Tech and Wazzou are both intimately familiar with losing or break even seasons.  I have often wondered what would happen if Leach was hired at a program that could recruit.  While MSU is probably not the best example of that, they are likely better off than Texas Tech or Wazzou.

3 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

I can give Leach a pass for whatever happens in year one at MSU.  Leach has been inconsistent at places like Texas Tech and Wazzou.  No one has been consistent there.  He might actually be able to build something at MSU.  I definitely cannot compare him to Gus, as he can basically match Gus' Auburn average at programs that are not on Auburn's level.  Unlike Auburn, Texas Tech and Wazzou are both intimately familiar with losing or break even seasons.  I have often wondered what would happen if Leach was hired at a program that could recruit.  While MSU is probably not the best example of that, they are likely better off than Texas Tech or Wazzou.

That's fair about Leach and where he's been. As far as those places not being on Auburn's level, give Gus a little more time and we'll be on their level. 

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

That's fair about Leach and where he's been. As far as those places not being on Auburn's level, give Gus a little more time and we'll be on their level. 

Indeed, and that disturbs me.

EDIT:  Auburn could always join the Sunbelt, where Gus might be able to dominate.

Go back and watch the play calling when we had it first and goal. So, so bad.

The fact that these guys make that much money And that is the product is amazing. 

man I hate Uga 

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Spot on. Actually to me he is exactly like Tubs. The kind of coach who can set every SEC Passing record in one week and beat the defending champs at their house.. then turn around and lose at home to a team who had not won a SEC game since 2017..... He did the same thing at Washington State. In 2 of his 9 and 10 win seasons there he had losses to Portland and Eastern Washington where the season record would of looked even better if they did not get upset. But was a giant killer in other games. SAME AS TUBS. I guess in Leach's defense there is always a possibility of getting upset when you do not have a overwhelming talent advantage. Washington State they MAYBE get 1 four star player a class.

I hope we don't start talking about getting a new OC/QB coach. Until we get a "NEW head coach,"  every Auburn team will continue to tank every year.

7 hours ago, gr82be said:

We may be closer to this than you think. I'm keeping my word concerning the HC and will not criticize him because of last year, but exactly why do AU players look like the 8th grade vs. the varsity? I expect to lose to UGA, LSU and Bama every year. Under Tubs,Dye and even a few year of Tot, I went into every single game game thinking that AU had a chance to win. The big money likes the current situation? Let them revel in it because nothing will change wit the present situation

Chad leaves Ark and they look better

That's because he brought his Arky offense to AU. I never understood the love for Morris, his record gives no indication of why he was a good hire. People wanted Gus to be Hands Off. Well, Gus is now Hands Off. That old saying, "Be careful what you ask for, you might get it" applies here.

Hands On Gus was consistently losing to LSU, UGA, and Bammer while looking bad doing it. Hands On Gus was also getting his a** handed to him in just about every bowl game. What’s the common thread though the past 6-7 years? It’s not the same players or coordinators. Wonder what it could be🤔?

• WarTiger changed the title to Chad leaves Arkansas and they look better
7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That's because he brought his Arky offense to AU. I never understood the love for Morris, his record gives no indication of why he was a good hire. People wanted Gus to be Hands Off. Well, Gus is now Hands Off. That old saying, "Be careful what you ask for, you might get it" applies here.

People wanted Gus to be hands off because his offense did not work anymore. Morris may be terrible, but so was Gus. 
The definition of insanity is doing the same failing thing over and over. After 7 years, AU fans were starving for change. It is like throwing food to the starving... except in this case the meat may be tainted. 

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Hands On Gus was consistently losing to LSU, UGA, and Bammer while looking bad doing it. Hands On Gus was also getting his a** handed to him in just about every bowl game. What’s the common thread though the past 6-7 years? It’s not the same players or coordinators. Wonder what it could be🤔?

At least Hands On Gus managed more than six points against those three.

Gus will likely end the season with a 72% loss rate with our big 3 rivals (Bama, UGA and LSU) and almost exactly the same loss rate in bowl games over his Auburn career.  But hey, he has dominated Arkansas, Ole Miss and MSU right? Those games don't look so winnable this season. All 3 of those programs are turning the corner and look to be improving while we are heading backwards with our foot on the accelerator.

Just now, gr82b4au said:

People wanted Gus to be hands off because his offense did not work anymore. Morris may be terrible, but so was Gus. 
The definition of insanity is doing the same failing thing over and over. After 7 years, AU fans were starving for change. It is like throwing food to the starving... except in this case the meat may be tainted. 

His offense scored points such that StatTiger's reports had most of AU's scoring records belonging to Malzahn-coached teams. We didn't win as many big games as any of us would have liked, but that isn't all on the offense. AU averaged 33 points a game last year. There are plenty of offenses that did worse.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

His offense scored points such that StatTiger's reports had most of AU's scoring records belonging to Malzahn-coached teams. We didn't win as many big games as any of us would have liked, but that isn't all on the offense. AU averaged 33 points a game last year. There are plenty of offenses that did worse.

True, and with one of the best defenses we have had in a long time we lost 5 games. 
We all want the same thing- AU wins. 

SANDLOT FOOTBALL.  Every once in a while, after a particularly horrendous performance, a University with guts, just has had enough and fires a coach or coaches early in the season.  I greatly applaud them. FSU firing Taggart relatively quickly is an example.  I was going to say that Morris has shown us nothing, but it is crystal clear that he absolutely has shown us something. Chad Morris has shown us That he is clearly out of his league. He very clearly does not have what it takes to succeed.  We are regressing. Quickly. Great example, On 3rd and maybe 6, Bo rolls right and throws the ball away and he threw it away because the WR had not been trained to have the awareness to help his QB. WR was still running downfield, completely covered, 30 years from the line, when he could have run back towards the QB and easily grabbed a pass for the first down. But the thought never crossed his mind. TRULY a dumpster fire by every definition.  ABSOLUTELY no offensive identity whatsoever.  A complete atrocity. Looked like we weren’t even calling plays. Truly sandlot football. 

3 minutes ago, MaitlandTiger said:

SANDLOT FOOTBALL.  Every once in a while, after a particularly horrendous performance, a University with guts, just has had enough and fires a coach or coaches early in the season.  I greatly applaud them.

I hear you, but the Gus contract makes it impossible. I think it is a much much higher buyout. 

Gus apologists always have a ready excuse for the latest debacle against a team with a pulse...or at least against a team with equal or greater talent. Too bad we don’t play some directional school next week so the offense can ring up big numbers to add to Malzahn’s tally of offensive numbers to further the narrative about all the offensive records he’s set. The inability to distinguish greatness from mediocrity is how we ended up with Gus in the first place and then gave him a huge extension when he managed to actually beat the teams we expect him to be competing with for titles. I love Auburn but will enjoy Auburn football again when we have a coach that can keep us competitive with the big boys in the conference. Until then I can enjoy my favorite season of the year for the hunting, fishing, beautiful colors, delightful weather.....just not Auburn football. We’ve averaged one touchdown per game against UGA in Athens under Malzahn. Let that sink in.....

We'll franks isn't a joke at QB. Just his presence alone on the field makes everyone has to spread out

Also, if I may speak on behalf of the “Gus Apologists” (guys feel free to correct me if I’m wrong):

Its not that anyone loves Gus as our HC.  He’s certainly not a great coach, but he’s not that bad(overall) either.  He’s good for the program and the school.  No scandals!  He wins the games he’s supposed to win(for the most part) and he’s almost always competitive against bama, faring better than anyone else.  
So, the question has always been who would do better.  If you fire Gus, you run the very legitimate risk of hiring someone who would do worse, and spending a huge amount of money doing so.  It’s very difficult to find “the next Dabo” and so far everyone but Clemson has failed to do so.  So the question is, “Is it worth the risk to pay the huge buy out to get rid of our moderately decent HC to start all over again with another HC who may be better, or may be worse?”   I don’t know the answer to that question yet, but I believe it is the right question.  

8 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Also, if I may speak on behalf of the “Gus Apologists” (guys feel free to correct me if I’m wrong):

Its not that anyone loves Gus as our HC.  He’s certainly not a great coach, but he’s not that bad(overall) either.  He’s good for the program and the school.  No scandals!  He wins the games he’s supposed to win(for the most part) and he’s almost always competitive against bama, faring better than anyone else.  
So, the question has always been who would do better.  If you fire Gus, you run the very legitimate risk of hiring someone who would do worse, and spending a huge amount of money doing so.  It’s very difficult to find “the next Dabo” and so far everyone but Clemson has failed to do so.  So the question is, “Is it worth the risk to pay the huge buy out to get rid of our moderately decent HC to start all over again with another HC who may be better, or may be worse?”   I don’t know the answer to that question yet, but I believe it is the right question.  

Read my post in the "Fire Gus" thread and then read this one - I dare you.

On 10/4/2020 at 9:18 AM, Mikey said:

I agree.  People love to talk about him when he was at Clemson.  But I never saw him implement the Clemson offense at Arkansas such as the high low routes and the clearing routes.  However, the constants at Clemson while Morris was there was Dabo, Ellison and Scott.  When Morris left after the 2014 season Dabo promoted Ellison and Scott to Co OCs and the Clemson offense became even more powerful.  The only reason they needed that Bozo was help to recruiting the Texas market.

Archived