Chad leaves Arkansas and they look better

gr82b4au

Morris at Arkansas was like Chizek at Auburn - excellent coordinator resume, dumpster fire head coach. Guys hired for talents they don't have time to focus on when theyre in the CEO role. It happens. A lot. 

43 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Morris at Arkansas was like Chizek at Auburn - excellent coordinator resume, dumpster fire head coach. Guys hired for talents they don't have time to focus on when theyre in the CEO role. It happens. A lot. 

You mean like Gus? 

It’s hard to argue that Chad isn’t a good OC because of what he did at Clemson.  He took a bad SMU team and made them decent before he went to Arky.

Things I like about Chad’s offense:  better passing tree and utilization of the WRs.

Things I don’t like so far about his offense:  Not enough running and controlling the game.  Auburn has been in too many 3rd and 10s because of missed passes and it takes no time off the clock.  

Georgia and Kentucky both dominated the time of possession.  Say what you will about the Gus run play action attack at least he tried to dominate the other teams.  I think about that last drive in the kick six where he ran about 10 running plays for 30-40 yards before he popped that pass to Coates.  Chad’s offense feels too Big12 to me.

3 hours ago, Carnell said:

I agree.  People love to talk about him when he was at Clemson.  But I never saw him implement the Clemson offense at Arkansas such as the high low routes and the clearing routes.  However, the constants at Clemson while Morris was there was Dabo, Ellison and Scott.  When Morris left after the 2014 season Dabo promoted Ellison and Scott to Co OCs and the Clemson offense became even more powerful.  The only reason they needed that Bozo was help to recruiting the Texas market.

He was a good recruiter and had a few good position coaches, but I think one of his biggest mistakes at Arkansas was his coordinator hires. His OC is now the TE coach at UAB and Chavis should have retired 5 years ago.

He never moved his family to Arkansas either. Just didn't do a whole lot to endear himself to the fanbase or players even aside from his struggles on the field.

Maybe they’re doing well because of his recruiting etc... and he didn’t have a chance to turn things around in two years with  what he inherited.

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Maybe they’re doing well because of his recruiting etc... and he didn’t have a chance to turn things around in two years with  what he inherited.

He had one of their best classes in awhile his first year.  He was bringing in a lot of high end skill folks right before he was fired.  Coach Burt left Arkansas in pretty bad shape.  

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

He had one of their best classes in awhile his first year.  He was bringing in a lot of high end skill folks right before he was fired.  Coach Burt left Arkansas in pretty bad shape.  

Exactly, and the snide comments about them getting better because he left is too early to know, for sure.

1 hour ago, Win4AU said:

He had a really good class in 2019 but his 2020 class started falling apart even before he was fired since we were getting blown out by Western Kentucky and San Jose State. Once the players turned on him I don’t think there was any way to salvage the situation. He basically forced our 2018 QB starter Ty Storey out and Storey transferred to WKU and came back to beat him. 

Imagine if Joey Gatewood had gone to UAB and then beat Auburn...this place would explode lol.

1 hour ago, gohogs14 said:

He had a really good class in 2019 but his 2020 class started falling apart even before he was fired since we were getting blown out by Western Kentucky and San Jose State. Once the players turned on him I don’t think there was any way to salvage the situation. He basically forced our 2018 QB starter Ty Storey out and Storey transferred to WKU and came back to beat him. 

Imagine if Joey Gatewood had gone to UAB and then beat Auburn...this place would explode lol.

Your boys could prolly do us a big favor on Saturday...at least get the ball rolling even if we’re stuck with ol gussy another hear.  

9 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Also, if I may speak on behalf of the “Gus Apologists” (guys feel free to correct me if I’m wrong):

Its not that anyone loves Gus as our HC.  He’s certainly not a great coach, but he’s not that bad(overall) either.  He’s good for the program and the school.  No scandals!  He wins the games he’s supposed to win(for the most part) and he’s almost always competitive against bama, faring better than anyone else.  
So, the question has always been who would do better.  If you fire Gus, you run the very legitimate risk of hiring someone who would do worse, and spending a huge amount of money doing so.  It’s very difficult to find “the next Dabo” and so far everyone but Clemson has failed to do so.  So the question is, “Is it worth the risk to pay the huge buy out to get rid of our moderately decent HC to start all over again with another HC who may be better, or may be worse?”   I don’t know the answer to that question yet, but I believe it is the right question.  

We just got blown out by a walk-on QB. Gus is 0-11 combined in Athens, Tuscaloosa and Baton Rouge. He is 35-25 vs all SEC opponents and 15-16 on the road. 2-5 in bowl games. Six straight seasons with 4+ losses and quickly headed for #7. At some point, we have to stop worrying about someone doing worse. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived