2022 4* QB Holden Geriner Commits to AU!

ellitor

37 minutes ago, WarTim said:

If Bo uses COVID-19 year, he will be at AU through 2023. 

True. I suspect that if he feels he has a shot at the League he'll have put the necessary tape out there in year 4.

There's a kind of strange Limbo to be in if you're a 5-year starter but still trying to prove yourself to NFL scouts

• Like 3

21 hours ago, au302 said:

I hate to say it and really hope it doesn't happen, but maybe DD. Just not convinced he is a Harsin/Bobo Qb. That does not mean he is a bad player. I think he is a stud. But both can be true, that he's a stud but also not a fit for this staff.

What TJ and Bo do will be interesting. Does Bo think about testing the draft? Terrible idea but he is engaged and may be ready to move on with life. If he comes back, does TJ leave or wait to compete with Geriner. I can even see them bringing in another transfer with Geriner if the right guy pops up. Probably a solid pocket passing guy who has a lower ceiling than TJ and Geriner but more developed with a higher floor as of the moment. A solid backup that could start. Should be interesting.

Lots of riddles to solve and pieces to fall.   Unfortunately I have been thinking the same about DD.   Hope we are both wrong. 

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
30 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Appears to be a lot actually going on here. It was a well designed play where they moved the slot receiver across the field and pulled the safety out of the play and made it 1v1 on the outside. Holden seems to pick that up, and when he takes the snap he immediately looks off his receiver but quickly gets his head back around and gets a quick release for an easy TD. A lot more happening there than just a good throw. Solid play all the way around. 

Edited by MustardSeed

• 2 weeks later...

How family helped Benedictine's Holden Geriner become one of country's top quarterbacks

Dennis Knight

Savannah Morning News

Benedictine's Holden Geriner seems unflappable on and off the football field, but the talented quarterback has a competitive streak that belies his calm demeanor.

That fire was stoked in Holden as the youngest of three brothers raised on Dutch Island.

Sports and the outdoors were inbred in the Geriner boys. Tripp is the oldest, followed by Carter, who started behind center for BC in Holden's freshman year, and the Auburn-bound Holden, now a senior running the Cadet offense, is the youngest of the trio.

"I think it's 100% true that made Holden who he is," said his mother, Janet Geriner. "Our boys competed in everything from brushing their teeth to seeing who could get into bed first. They all grew up playing football, basketball and baseball, and I remember Carter and Holden out there in the driveway fighting over every point playing basket, even if it was just a game of HORSE."

At 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, with a cannon for an arm, Geriner has steadily improved during his prep career to become one of the top quarterbacks in the nation. He has committed to play at Auburn.

"He's the first quarterback I've ever coached who is at this level," said Benedictine's Danny Britt, in his 16th season as a high school head coach. "It's been fun to watch him grow as a quarterback and as a young man. He has taken on the role as a leader in our program — and his arm talent is just incredible. Last week, we were laughing in practice on the sideline as coaches, just amazed at the places he can put the ball on those deep throws.

"Holden has everything going for him, with his God-given talent as a football player and coming from such a great family. He's the total package, but he's got this great demeanor and he's worked for everything he has."

His older brothers Carter and Tripp are both studying at Georgia, with Tripp set to graduate in December, while Carter is a junior.

Carter was the starting quarterback at BC his senior year, at 5-foot-10 and 170 pounds, while Holden watched from the sideline.

"That's my claim to fame, I had an SEC quarterback as my backup," Carter said with a laugh in a phone interview from Athens this week. "I don't mention to people about the age difference — and I'm going to take that story to the grave with me."

Carter is at every UGA game, and has to explain to his classmates why his brother made a smart decision to commit to Auburn instead of becoming a Bulldog.

Region battle:How Benedictine dominated in all phases to beat New Hampstead in a key region game

"There's a lot more to recruiting than people realize," Carter said. "The Auburn coaches really showed an interest in Holden, and when he took a visit he fell in love with the town. It's a perfect fit for him.

"But if he starts against Georgia, I'll be rooting for Holden to throw for 350 yards and three touchdowns, with UGA coming out with the win," Carter said with a laugh.

'A whole different beast'

Being on the water is in the blood of the Geriner boys. Carter said one of their best memories came a few years back when they took a fishing trip to Guatemala and caught a bunch of sailfish.

Although his brother seems quiet and calm on the outside, Carter said that as his brother he can push Holden's buttons.

"If he doesn't know you, he won't say two words to you," Carter said. "But I know how to mess with him and get him fired up. He's calm and easy going, but if he puts his mind to something, he becomes a whole different beast."

BC quarterbacks coach A.J. DeFilippis, a BC alum who went on to play quarterback at Savannah State, said it's been a great opportunity to be able to work with Holden Geriner over the last four years.

"He can throw the ball to any spot on the field and he's mission focused — he has this dedication to game," DeFilippis said. "One thing that would surprise people is that there's a lot more to Holden than what he shows on the outside. He's seems reserved, but he's a fierce competitor."

The combination of a cerebral approach to the game and his relentless drive has Geriner ready to step to the next level at Auburn.

"I think I've improved because I've done a lot of work dissecting the film and studying the game," Geriner said. "And I've seen how that corresponds to things on the field — it's slowed down the game for me."

BC tops Ware County:Benedictine stayed aggressive, with Holden Geriner leading Cadets to win over Ware County

Geriner has completed 66% of his throws for 2,186 yards with 21 touchdowns and just two interceptions for a BC squad (8-2) that is ranked No. 2 in the state among Class 4A teams by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

The Cadets host Thomas Country Central in the first round of the GHSA playoffs Friday night at Memorial Stadium with kickoff set for 7:30 p.m.

The great outdoors

While his focus is on football, Geriner has a strong balance in his life.

The outdoors has always been a focal point and Holden loves getting out on the water with his dad and brothers. He especially enjoys offshore fishing trips going after dolphinfish, tuna and sailfish. He loves to hunt for ducks and deer, too, and said the trip to Guatemala was memorable for reasons beyond the sailfish aspect.

"We got to talk to the kids at a school down there, and I learned a lot from that experience," Geriner said. "We grew up fishing and hunting, and it's something I'll always love to do with my family."

A Benedictine family

Geriner said his experience at BC has shaped him into the person he is today, and it's also part of another family legacy. His father, Richard, is a graduate from the Class of 1986. He played outside linebacker for the Cadets.

Richard Geriner said he wasn't a great player and didn't start until his senior year. But now he and his wife have been a constant in the stands, cheering on their boys as they carry on the family tradition. 

He said he knew Holden had a special talent at a young age, and it's been an amazing experience seeing his son develop into a blue chip recruit.

In the summer after Holden's sophomore season, he was set to play in some of the top camps in the country, including visits to Florida State, Tennessee and Alabama. But Holden rolled his ankle badly while running right before the FSU camp, Richard Geriner said.

Holden, who didn't have any scholarship offers at the time, was in a boot, but took the trip to FSU anyway, as he set the boot aside and got his ankle taped up.

"We thought we'd give it to God and see what happened," Richard Geriner said.

Willie Taggart was the FSU coach at the time, and he came away impressed with Geriner's natural talent.

"Holden was on the 40-yard line and he threw one all the way into the end zone and hit the goal post," Richard Geriner said. "Taggert was watching and he said 'Do that again.' And Holden launched another one up and hit the goal post again; we couldn't believe it. And Taggart offered Holden right then."

Video episode:On The 50 Yard Line with Benedictine quarterback Holden Geriner

Richard Geriner said Britt has been a blessing to Holden and the family.

"When COVID-19 hit, we weren't sure we would even have a junior season. But coach Britt worked so hard to fill out the schedule for all the boys. That meant everything to us."

As a BC alum, Richard Geriner said watching all of his sons play for the Cadets has been rewarding.

"It's been a very cool experience," Richard Geriner said. "There is so much history at BC, and it's about much more than football. It's the tradition, it's the camaraderie, and to see our boys carry that on has been priceless."

Dennis Knight covers sports for the Savannah Morning News. Contact him at Dknight@savannahnow.com. Twitter: @DennisKnightSMN

• Like 4

On 10/28/2021 at 7:07 PM, SumterAubie said:

Such a quick, fluid release. Its in his hand, then it isn't

funny-gif-office-that-what-she-said-3.gimichael-scott.gif

Edited by Randman5000
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

I know that starting a TF QB is never ideal for player or program (Bo taught me that). That being said, this kid's arm talent and mechanics look so dang good that I almost wish we could see him starting next year, even though there's probably zero chance of that

Auburn QB commit still 'locked in' with Tigers

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 20 minutes ago

Auburn quarterback commit Holden Geriner said Monday night the resignation of Tigers offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Mike Bobo earlier in the day, while a bit shocking, will not change his status as an Auburn pledge.

He's still committed. Still solid. And still plans to sign with the Tigers on Dec. 15.

"I'm locked in with Auburn," Geriner said.

Geriner arguably is the most important piece to Auburn's 2022 recruiting class. A standout at Savannah (Ga.) Benedictine Military School, he's having a huge senior season, just beat the No. 1 team in the state last week and plays in the state semifinals this week.

Before he commented on his status with Auburn, Geriner wanted to first talk with Auburn coach Bryan Harsin.

"Me and him have a real good relationship," Geriner said. "He was just really honest with me about it. I trust him and everything he’s doing with the program. I'm super excited about my future (at Auburn)."

Geriner is an early enrollee.

He's the No. 14 quarterback recruit in the country for 247Sports.

Even though he's still Auburn bound, Geriner was sad to see Bobo leave the program.

"I respect Coach Bobo," Geriner said. "I have a good relationship with him as well. I can't say anything but positive things about him. I wish him the best of luck wherever he goes."

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

This young man could be a star!  He is playing so well today.  He throws a really, really pretty ball! Even in the rain, he is putting the deep ball on a dime.  

• Like 1

Benedictine just won the AAAA state championship over Carver, Columbus. Geriner balled out in the 2nd half. We are getting a good one.

Edited by AUinGA44
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1