2022 4* QB Holden Geriner Commits to AU!

ellitor

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Phillip Rivers

Interesting. Just in terms of quickness of his release? I don't see Rivers at all in his throwing motion. 

Edited by Barnacle

Guest MustardSeed
29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Phillip Rivers

Would love  to have that at AU, so let’s hope he doesn’t follow the same path…

19 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Interesting. Just in terms of quickness? I don't see Rivers at all in his throwing motion. 

Size, arm strength, and release

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Phillip Rivers

Would have been a hell of a good tight end. 😀 Probably would have made it in the NFL instead of being a high school coach all his life.

• Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

He looks like he's all of 6'3. That's his listed height, but curious if he's actually a couple inches taller. Interested to see what he's listed at when he's enrolled

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Phillip Rivers

I see it. I actually think Holden's is a little better at this point in the game than PR's was, but definitely some similarities there. 

I remember watch Rivers in HS at Athens. We picked up the Athen's games on local #6 here in TN and I watched every Friday night.

56 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I see it. I actually think Holden's is a little better at this point in the game than PR's was, but definitely some similarities there. 

I remember watch Rivers in HS at Athens. We picked up the Athen's games on local #6 here in TN and I watched every Friday night.

That’s where I went to high school. Still live in Athens.

I know I am getting the cart WAY AHEAD of the horse...but something to chew on. 

Will D Davis red shirt?    

Is Geriner an early enrollee?  

Who transfers (don't answer this)?      This is almost guaranteed.   Bo isn't leaving and the QB room is going to be overflowing with testosterone and skills. 

All points to ponder in Dec/Jan...from what I see, I am ok with a transfer, but not two.   (and not my man Sawyer Pate!)

43 minutes ago, toddc said:

That’s where I went to high school. Still live in Athens.

Nice. I grew up in Fayetteville TN and moved back here from Huntsville in April, but I have family in the Tanner area.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Will D Davis red shirt?    

Who transfers (don't answer this)?      This is almost guaranteed.   Bo isn't leaving and the QB room is going to be overflowing with testosterone and skills. 

All points to ponder in Dec/Jan...from what I see, I am ok with a transfer, but not two.   (and not my man Sawyer Pate!)

I don't think anyone transfers until after Spring if any. I think D. Davis is a competitor. I think he sticks it out until Bo is gone at least as does TJ. Now if in 2023 when Bo is gone (assuming) and those 3 battle it out, I fully expect the low man to possibly move. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

If I'm not mistaken, a RS year is still on the table for TJ, too.

He burned his RS when he came in at the last second against UGA. That was his 5th game 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

He burned his RS when he came in at the last second against UGA. That was his 5th game 

Finley almost certainly will appear again at some point, but if he doesn’t and we burnt that for…that. Won’t be a happy camper! 

14 hours ago, Beaker said:

Will D Davis red shirt?    

I hate to say it and really hope it doesn't happen, but maybe DD. Just not convinced he is a Harsin/Bobo Qb. That does not mean he is a bad player. I think he is a stud. But both can be true, that he's a stud but also not a fit for this staff.

What TJ and Bo do will be interesting. Does Bo think about testing the draft? Terrible idea but he is engaged and may be ready to move on with life. If he comes back, does TJ leave or wait to compete with Geriner. I can even see them bringing in another transfer with Geriner if the right guy pops up. Probably a solid pocket passing guy who has a lower ceiling than TJ and Geriner but more developed with a higher floor as of the moment. A solid backup that could start. Should be interesting.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Finley almost certainly will appear again at some point, but if he doesn’t and we burnt that for…that. Won’t be a happy camper! 

He had a shot to win the position. Bo’s been balling lately. We see who the best QB currently is

1 minute ago, au302 said:

I hate to say it and really hope it doesn't happen, but maybe DD. Just not convinced he is a Harsin/Bobo Qb. That does not mean he is a bad player. I think he is a stud. But both can be true, that he's a stud but also not a fit for this staff.

What TJ and Bo do will be interesting. Does Bo think about testing the draft? Terrible idea but he is engaged and may be ready to move on with life. If he comes back, does TJ leave or wait to compete with Geriner. I can even see them bringing in another transfer with Geriner if the right guy pops up. Probably a solid pocket passing guy who has a lower ceiling than TJ and Geriner but more developed with a higher floor as of the moment. A solid backup that could start. Should be interesting.

If Bobo can make Bo work then why wouldn’t they try to make DD work? Good coaches can work with any talented person, scrambler or not 

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

If Bobo can make Bo work then why wouldn’t they try to make DD work? Good coaches can work with any talented person, scrambler or not 

For sure. I hope that is the case. But they will have more options than this year of guys that fit their mold. TJ will have a year of development and Geriner seems like the perfect fit for them. We'll see. I really hope it works out for DD

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Bobo had no choice but to make Bo work. 

Not going to be the same situation in the post-Bo world. DD and Finley will only have 1 year on Geriner, and neither of them in a starting role. Much more level playing field in 2023. There wouldn't be a reason to "make DD work" if someone else is already ahead of him. 

That said, I disagree with the person you were responding to that DD is any more likely than anyone else to transfer, or that he doesn't have just as good a shot as anyone to win the job. 

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What does this have to do with my post 

You said he won’t be a happy camper but there’s no reason for him to be mad. He just lost out to the guy who’s currently playing better 

21 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bobo had no choice but to make Bo work. 

Not going to be the same situation in the post-Bo world. DD and Finley will only have 1 year on Geriner, and neither of them in a starting role. Much more level playing field in 2023. There wouldn't be a reason to "make DD work" if someone else is already ahead of him. 

That said, I disagree with the person you were responding to that DD is any more likely than anyone else to transfer, or that he doesn't have just as good a shot as anyone to win the job. 

I never said anybody would be higher than anybody. I just don’t think Harsin/Bobo would have only one specific type of QB style in mind to play for them. I’m sure they’d use pocket passers or dual threats 

If Bo uses COVID-19 year, he will be at AU through 2023. 

18 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I never said anybody would be higher than anybody. I just don’t think Harsin/Bobo would have only one specific type of QB style in mind to play for them. I’m sure they’d use pocket passers or dual threats 

Okay, but keep in mind that DD was a Gus commit and Geriner is a very different type of QB. Not many DDs in either coach's history. 

They'll absolutely play a dual threat guy, I'd imagine, as long as he can do what they want to do. But they're not going to "make him work" if there's a more natural fit on the roster.

Also remember that they went and got Finley after getting a good look at our roster. Big dude, big arm, not "dual threat" but can keep plays alive. He's more Matt Stafford with his physical tool set than the other guys. 

When I get time I'll look up QB rushing stats under each coach going back a few seasons. 

I need to reiterate that I don't in any way doubt Davis's ability to win the job. Really my only point was that I don't think comparing his situation to Bo Nix's really works. 

39 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

You said he won’t be a happy camper but there’s no reason for him to be mad. He just lost out to the guy who’s currently playing better 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

So your mind went to me talking about “starting” when the post I quoted (and the post it quoted) was specifically talking about whether or not he could still redshirt this year? That’s what you thought?