2022 4* QB Holden Geriner Commits to AU!

ellitor

Stan White started every game while at AU...  Jason Campbell played in 9 games his freshman year...   Both had pretty good careers and neither had the kind of coaching, film study, overall preparation that Holden and other top QB's now receive before ever getting to college.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

Stan White started every game while at AU...  Jason Campbell played in 9 games his freshman year...   Both had pretty good careers and neither had the kind of coaching, film study, overall preparation that Holden and other top QB's now receive before ever getting to college.

It used to be an anomaly for a freshman QB  to start but it’s becoming more and more prevalent due to the reasons you posted. I’m watching Jayden Daniels of Az St right now and he started as a true freshman and had an exceptional first year.  it’s not optimal in most situations, but I have no doubt Geriner will be given the opportunity to compete for the job.  

• Like 1

It does happen more often now.   If we don’t get a legit QB out of the portal, we may be starting a TFR next year.  😳

TJ is most likely not the answer, and it appears that our coaching staff doesn’t think DD is the answer as well.   At this point it seems most likely that it is portal or HG.  Not ideal by any means, but it’s where we are right now.  

13 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Both Stan White and Jason Campbell were red-shirt freshmen when they played. That having been said, I agree that today's true freshman QB's are better prepared to college ball than those of prior eras.

12 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

It used to be an anomaly for a freshman QB  to start but it’s becoming more and more prevalent due to the reasons you posted. I’m watching Jayden Daniels of Az St right now and he started as a true freshman and had an exceptional first year.  it’s not optimal in most situations, but I have no doubt Geriner will be given the opportunity to compete for the job.  

You realize the one to 3 freshman starters in FBS are literally the anomalies, right??

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

You realize the one to 3 freshman starters in FBS are literally the anomalies, right??

Wrong: Desmond Ridder/Dillon Gabriel/Bo Nix/Jalen Hurts/Jake Fromm/McKenzie Milton/Jacob Eason/Kellen Mond/Caleb Williams/Ken Seals(Vandy),Jeff Sims(GT)/Hank Bachmeir/Sam Howell/Jayden Daniels (AzSt)/Shedeur Sanders (JSU), Brock Purdy, CJ Stroud, etc….

I could keep going but have better things to do. The trend is factually there. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Wrong: Desmond Ridder/Dillon Gabriel/Bo Nix/Jalen Hurts/Jake Fromm/McKenzie Milton/Jacob Eason/Kellen Mond/Caleb Williams/Ken Seals(Vandy),Jeff Sims(GT)/Hank Bachmeir/Sam Howell/Jayden Daniels (AzSt)/Shedeur Sanders (JSU), Brock Purdy, CJ Stroud, etc….

I could keep going but have better things to do. The trend is factually there. 

Do you understand how few these are out of the 90 other teams that aren't starting TrFr annually and the hundred other TrFr that aren't starting???

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Do you understand how few these are out of the 90 other teams that aren't starting TrFr annually and the hundred other TrFr that aren't starting???

We had this exchange a few days ago and I gave you 5 examples. You argued them as all bad QBs and how it hurt their growth. When I reminded you some of them made it to the NFL, you disregarded it. Now you’ve argued that 1-3 is an anomaly. I gave you 17 examples which it took me 5 minutes to come up with. 17 is greater than 3. If I had the time and wanted to I could come up with more but you will just keep moving the goal posts for facts that don’t support your incorrect narrative. Indisputable fact: more teams are starting freshman QBs now than they were a few years ago. Group of 5, Power 5, FCS, title contenders, low ranked teams, with great success, with little success, it’s happening. The fact that you’re not a fan of it is irrelevant. It is happening. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

We had this exchange a few days ago and I gave you 5 examples. You argued them as all bad QBs and how it hurt their growth. When I reminded you some of them made it to the NFL, you disregarded it. Now you’ve argued that that 1-3 is an anomaly. I gave you 17 examples which it took me 5 minutes to come up with. 17 is greater than 3. If I had the time and wanted to I could come up with more but you will just keep moving the goal posts for facts that don’t support your incorrect narrative. Indisputable fact: more teams are starting freshman QBs now than they were a few years ago. Group of 5, Power 5, FCS, title contenders, low ranked teams, with great success, with little success, it’s happening. The fact that you’re not a fan of it is irrelevant. It is happening. 

5 or 17 out of 129 D1 teams over a decade. 17 our of 1,300

Anomalies.

No one said it can't happen 

Edited by W.E.D

If a True Freshman QB starts it’s going to be a long season. It’s a small chance it could be better but the defense and run game will have to be elite to mask Geriner’s inexperience.

The reality is because of special camps 7x7 Freshman QB's are more ready to start then in the past that does not mean it is ideal. A lot depends on the team and the offensive unit. If a team has a very good experienced Offensive line, same with RB's and WR's a freshman QB can step right in and do well. Manage early in the season while learning and by end of season be a key part of the offense.  

Put that same young QB behind a weak O-line and so so WR's and it is a recipe for failure and could also do lasting damage to the QB's confidence. Right now we have a couple of really good RB's with Alston joining to make it 3RB's, some WR's that have improved but are not really great yet, some very good TE's and an unknown O-line. Unless the O-line is greatly improved either through Portal or by younger players stepping up or a combination of both I wouldn't want to start Geriner. That is not reflection on Geriner as I think he is really good but a reflection on the O-line play I have seen last few years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bryan Harsin's offense (his full iteration) is more complex than most at this level. Geriner would need to be either very very good, or things would need to go very wrong in order for him to be the starter as a true freshman. That isn't going to be Harsin's plan for him, hence why we're expecting to take a transfer QB.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, metafour said:

Bryan Harsin's offense (his full iteration) is more complex than most at this level. Geriner would need to be either very very good, or things would need to go very wrong in order for him to be the starter as a true freshman. That isn't going to be Harsin's plan for him, hence why we're expecting to take a transfer QB.

Hank Bachmeier started as a true freshman for Harsin at Boise State in 2019 so it’s not unprecedented. Though I agree I’m sure that’s not the plan for Geriner.

• Like 1

If we get the type of O-Line player we need in the Portal so that we have an above average O-line with the RB's and TE's we have returning plus a couple of solid WR's returning Geriner could start as a freshman if we can't get the QB in the Portal assuming he beats out TJ and DD.  

I know some people think I have picked on TJ when I have said I would like to see DD start. Part of my reasoning is DD would be better behind a weak O-line. If we have an above average O-line then TJ might be the best option.  Since I don't see the practices my opinion is only based on mobility behind a weak line and I am assuming there is reason we have not see DD yet. 

7 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

The best QB on the field today imo 

I agree.  Other than a couple of throws that were low, he threw some very nice passes.  One was a deep out that was on the money.  A couple of his passes were dropped, but they were accurate as well.  With him coming in early and going through spring ball and barring a "jaw dropper" coming in the portal, it would not surprise me if he was the starter coming out of fall camp.

• Like 1

Just great zip on his ball. His arm strength stands out, which is saying something considering the other two QB's on his team are very highly rated