question for cole and some of you experts

aubiefifty

10 hours ago, cbo said:

Agreed. And to go a step further, the amount of work the football players put in is irrelevant to the topic. The simple fact is the football players have an inherent value. They possess a specific ability that generates tons of money for tons of people.

An extremely valuable commodity does not exist without them. So they should be compensated for it. It's not that hard to comprehend. 

Literally the only thing necessary for a game of football is players. You don't even need a real football or field. 2 guys could play a game in their dorm room using a rolled up pair of socks. Yet, everyone else is getting rich...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, AUDevil said:

So why do these athletes do it?  Pressure from family/community?

Some do it for love of the game. Some do it for the chicks. Many do it for the scholarship. And the elite few do it because it's the only choice they have if they want to play professional ball. That's in the revenue sports, at least. 

15 hours ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Not really here to appease you, fitty, move along.

you would do better to do so because i am the golden child.....elderly version.ask me

Unfortunately this topic will forever be divisive.  It is kind of like on the political spectrum where each person is very engrained into their beliefs and have their own experiences/data to further entrench their views.  Very rarely will you see someone switch sides on this, although it does happen just like you do occasionally see political representative switch parties.  No need to get worked up this far away from football season.  That will make for an excruciating eight months.  :laugh:

For anyone that cares, I am directly in the middle of this topic.  While I am not for paying players over their current $5,586 that Auburn allots each player (second highest amount in the country behind Tennessee), I do believe the players should be able to benefit off of their likeness.  People like Donald DeLa Haye (kicker Cole referenced) should be allowed to profit off of this YouTube channel or find other work during the summer.  If the players own the equipment from their university (such as cleats and jerseys) they should be allowed to sell them like Oregon's Drayton Carlberg.  Or be paid for signatures.  The issue there would be if the university gifts the jerseys and the player turns around and sells it that could be an issue tax-wise.

If we do pay players it won't get me all that riled up however.  I do wish universities would force student athletes to undertake a financial literacy class if they are paid (or even if they aren't).  78% of NFL athletes end up broke and/or declaring bankruptcy and we need to teach these men "how to fish" instead of "giving them a fish."  It is sad to think that 3/4 of those Auburn players declaring for the draft will be penniless in 4 years after retirement and we need to better invest in our players.

Honestly I would love to retire in Auburn and teach that financial literacy class to our student athletes.  For me that would be incredibly rewarding and a great way to stay active in giving back to the school that gave so much to me.

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

Then they would be talking about regular students. You asked about the athletes that had to pay their way so they would be covered by saying athletes. 

Or maybe you're just arguing something different

It was not an argument at all.   It’s a fact.   And the non-athlete part was a jab at football players whom I consider in an overall approach as the least Athletic person when comparing sports.  

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

It was not an argument at all.   It’s a fact.   And the non-athlete part was a jab at football players whom I consider in an overall approach as the least Athletic person when comparing sports.  

Definitely not a fact but ok, like I said you're just talking about something completely different than everyone else

I vote for capping coaching salaries within the framework of what is customary for professors.  They're the only reason money comes up. "Hey, the coach makes eleventy million and I get nothing?" 

As far as the tv contracts, they should belong to the conferences and be doled out with the input of faculty and administration.  College football was not born out of making a profit, it was to rally the student body with extra-curricular activity; to take the pressures off study and make college fun, too.  

Money and power have bastardized it to the debacle that it has become.  There will come a day when it's so despicable people will start tuning it out. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Literally the only thing necessary for a game of football is players. You don't even need a real football or field. 2 guys could play a game in their dorm room using a rolled up pair of socks. Yet, everyone else is getting rich...

Nah, there’s a ton of infrastructure and people in the background making college football fun to watch and are a huge reason for the big money involved. Players are #1 reasons, but without everything else it’s just backyard football.

5 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I vote for capping coaching salaries within the framework of what is customary for professors.  They're the only reason money comes up. "Hey, the coach makes eleventy million and I get nothing?" 

As far as the tv contracts, they should belong to the conferences and be doled out with the input of faculty and administration.  College football was not born out of making a profit, it was to rally the student body with extra-curricular activity; to take the pressures off study and make college fun, too.  

Money and power have bastardized it to the debacle that it has become.  There will come a day when it's so despicable people will start tuning it out. 

I don’t think so.

20 minutes ago, toddc said:

Nah, there’s a ton of infrastructure and people in the background making college football fun to watch and are a huge reason for the big money involved. Players are #1 reasons, but without everything else it’s just backyard football.

"Still". You meant without everything else it's "still" football. 

The players are literally the only critical component to the sport existing. 

It's insane that our academic institutions of higher learning are basically free farm systems for the NFL and NBA.  There are too many built-in conflicts of interest for it to be a fair exchange of services.

If the athletes were given a choice...we're going to feed, clothe, and house you, but we can pay you either the remainder of your "salary" in tuition and books, or in cash and you can do what you want with your free time...what would many of them choose?  With that free time they could train, get a second job, or get vocational degree down the road.

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

"Still". You meant without everything else it's "still" football. 

The players are literally the only critical component to the sport existing. 

Football without everything else would be just backyard ball and not one player would benefit from that. No education or fame or getting prepared to play in the league etc.., so technically football but who would care. So sure, you are technically correct and I’ll give you that.

Just now, toddc said:

Football without everything else would be just backyard ball and not one player would benefit from that. No education or fame or getting prepared to play in the league etc.., so technically football but who would care.

I didn't realize that nobody benefits from playing sports unless they're getting an education or fame or prepared to play in the league. 

Honestly, not sure why you're arguing with me about this point. But I'll play along. Take the players out of the equation and what are all those infrastructure people going to keep getting paid for? Are people going to tune in to watch elaborately produced broadcasts of grass with lines painted on it? What exactly does the NFL look like in that scenario? Do they legally have to change their name if they're not actually, you know, playing football? 

1 hour ago, Swamp Eagle said:

That’s an interesting take. Next time, please cut out the excessive details...:D

I don’t think so 😉

Archived