What's going on in the Athletic Dept and Lt. Gen Burgess?

steeleagle

Was the 10% budget cut idea Greene's, or did it originate with Leath?  If it originated with Leath, have Gogue and Greene revisited the mandate?

• Thanks 2

As far as looking cheap and our brand, the under armour stuff certainly doesn't help, but you had a good bit of the fan base beating their chest and screaming about their hate of Nike.....but when we are here looking second rate we want heads to roll......that's humorous. 

It also seems that the budget was already messed up before AG when you listen to the former players talk about their difficulty getting equipment and stuff like that. 

I don't know about fundraising and stuff like that though. I imagine without him being a former player how he could have problems in that area. Also getting handed a losing team makes it harder. Winning would alleviate most of these problems.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

What exactly was for me? I haven't had multiple people tell me anything either. And come on let's be real why would I pay when I just randomly get my posts deleted when I don't break a rule, and I don't even get an explanation as to why.   Bird has addressed you on this thread and were also told the answers you were looking for were in the Eagles Nest.  Those parts were directed to you as you were asking me.

And a board where a hammer is dropped or you are reprimanded when social justice is discussed but the mods are cool when people say the opposite they'll like the posts and what not.  I think that may more to do with it being brought up in multiple threads at a certain point in time, not that you can't talk about it in the right setting.

Like the fan base itself this board is skewed a certain way towards certain politics....and now that money is involved from a business standpoint they are going to placate towards the demographics they need to. They might not even agree personally, I understand that, and it's cool as I have many on here that I like. But it's only 2-3 that I feel that would really stand with me. I'm more likely to get chastised by a mod before one comes out and speak out. But I do get many people that hit me up in pm's about but it's much more impactful in public, but I imagine that would effect stuff because of the demographic and hence the conundrum. I wouldn't necessarily agree it is skewed in any direction.  I mean, go to the politics side of the forum, you have all sides coming together.

And I don't know this part to be true but it looks as you already have a situation of trolling passive aggressively the you don't know what we know stuff. But I just know football....  How in the world am I trolling here?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, eaglenest said:

Auburn will continue to suffer under this inbred leadership and control, If it were not for Cam Newton we would still be with out a title since 57, who hires a 5-19 coach!!

Glad to see someone gets it.

14 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

How do you go from Russell, which was fourth rate, and decide to only move up one rung on the ladder 

At the time, UA was at the top and Auburn signed the biggest apparel endorsement deal in the country with any apparel company with them.  The times have changed and our deal is outdated.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

LOSING CAUSES THIS MUCH MORE. I agree we shouldn't be extreme in our measures, but the bottomline is ALL THREE SPORTS UNDERPERFORMED LAST YEAR. I am expecting big things from all three coaches this year. Bruce Pearl pass was last year. CBH gets a subtle pass this year but there is expectations. Apparently the baseball coach is the maddest of the bunch per other boards. Surely this can be worked out, but we better see some increased performance too. 

44 minutes ago, au302 said:

I think everyone needs to step back from the cliff. As bad as some of y'all are making this sound, it comes across to me like the guy either has legal issues or some sort of personal scandal we don't know about. If either of those were the case, he would have been terminated with cause by now. 

Also we need to remember that Gogue stood firmly by AG during the hiring process, and Burgess was one that helped AG navigate the waters and was on the subcommittee that broke off during the drama, took control of the search, and helped AG interview and hire coach Harsin. I'm not saying things haven't changed, but I am skeptical that the good ole boys are sending Gogue and Burgess to get Greene as revenge. For all we know, Rane and the other good ole boys may have come to like Harsin over the last 6 months. Both Gogue and Burgess are first class, competent administrators that don't act on impulse. They proved during the search that they too are not afraid to stand firm to the good ole boys by having AG's back and hiring Harsin. 

Seems like several coaches who are not earning their paychecks with their pitiful results this year are using the budget cuts as an excuse to justify their unacceptable results. Burgess will work to mediate the issues and find a compromise. My guess is that some of the smaller programs get an increase in budget, and Baseball may get the tires rolling on more facilities improvements. Until proven otherwise, I just don't see the need to look at this as some catastrophic event. 

My personal perception of the topic at hand, from what little I know (how about that for a disclaimer up front), is as you stated. I honestly believe that Gogue and Burgess are first class and have no other agenda than to do what they may determine to be best for Auburn. It does not mean they always get everything perfect but I do not feel their efforts would be anything except helping put Auburn's best foot forward. Burgess will hopefully determine what may need changing (Budgets, Goals, etc.) and make needed suggestions to Gogue.

As far as AD Greene himself, I have been a supporter but would obviously now have to doubt his dedication to AU if in fact he is seeking other positions. Again, I have no information other than what I read here.

All in all, if money is available, I do agree that Auburn must make a legitimate effort to keep up in the so-called "sports arms race." If not, the only result will to be get further and further behind. The funding and building of the FOF to me appeared to be a watershed moment in AU Athletics and long overdue. I believe that the 10% "blanket" Athletic Budget reductions may well have been a "quick and dirty" move to be fiscally more responsible. However, i believe it was the wrong decision and signal to send to our athletes, coaches and administrators. I would prefer a more logical (I don't know if I am allowed to use that word in sentence concerning Auburn Athletics) approach, whereby any available funds go first to the programs that are lagging the most behind their SEC brethren in facilities, scholarship money, etc.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 10:55 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

How do you go from Russell, which was fourth rate, and decide to only move up one rung on the ladder 

Say what? If you personally never liked Russell, that's fine. But back when schools and teams actually had to shop and BUY their own gear, they chose Russell. There's a reason Russell dominated the market for a very, very long time, both college and pro. Quality and Service. Equally important, Russell was a job pipeline for Auburn textile engineering graduates. AND Russell regularly funded scholarships. I have 30 year old sweats from the outlet store.

Edited by slyinsocal
Additional commentary
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

At the time, UA was at the top and Auburn signed the biggest apparel endorsement deal in the country with any apparel company with them.  The times have changed and our deal is outdated.

Under armour has never been on top. I'll give that the equipment was closer in the gap than shoes but it hasn't ever been a time where young people wanted UA over Nike

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Under armour has never been on top. I'll give that the equipment was closer in the gap than shoes but it hasn't ever been a time where young people wanted UA over Nike

Correct, it was relatively young upstart that some predicted would overtake Nike.  They never did and the deal was very shortsighted.  That had to be at least 15 years ago...why have we not moved on?

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So that makes me ask myself as far as basketball and football what could the AD do to improve the season? I don't see much.

You are asking the right questions 

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Correct, it was relatively young upstart that some predicted would overtake Nike.  They never did and the deal was very shortsighted.  That had to be at least 15 years ago...why have we not moved on?

Thought the deal was renegotiated in 2015 to run through 2025

45 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

He didn’t address anything . He had ambiguous retorts. And now we are told we need to pay to get the answers we want lol. To me If you aren’t going to engage , why even enter the discussion ?

1 minute ago, Timbeaux38 said:

Thought the deal was renegotiated in 2015 to run through 2025

Well that's just sad then.  By 2015 the writing was on the wall.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

What's sad is you didn't need degrees, major in finance or marketing. An urban youth in high school could have easily told that wouldn't happen......but we have executives that's out of touch.....And like it or not you're dealing with urban kids.....You need to understand their world to form strategies that will actually work.

Edited by cole256

1 minute ago, DAG said:

He didn’t address anything . He had ambiguous retorts. And now we are told we need to pay to get the answers we want lol. To me If you aren’t going to engage , why even enter the discussion ?

On the flip-side though, what else could he say?  What you and Cole were saying about it being a good ole boy situation were not correct due to the information put out there on the Eagles Nest side of the forum, and he said just that.  Bird could not give a reason because it would be leaking that information.  That is why it came across as ambiguous.  It's a fine line, and one I realized I was walking myself earlier and why I think Cole may be wrongly accusing me of trolling.  I want to respect the forum rules but at the same time be helpful if the reasons put out there were incorrect.

Me wanting to tell you what the insiders are saying but knowing I can't:

giphy.gif.92de7710b7ba843e5d220fe455936bec.gif

tenor.gif.7407bfb2f29a141bc6b0d2c5ef098608.gif

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

55 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Bro you are so sensitive you think EVERYTHING is about you. Nobody said you were trolling. Nobody is speakingagainst you. I usually am reluctant to even write stuff like this to you because you will make stuff confusing and take stuff personally. Then when you are politely told, you'll go search a fragment of something and take it out of context. I promise you if I have anything to say about you I will literally link you in it.

You saying bird addressed me is hilarious. So bird says no it isn't and I'm supposed to go sit in the corner and be quiet? Get real. Well if that's the case I addressed you all.

You see how it's natural for you to take up for that bull. Nobody can point out me ever bringing up anything about race when it wasn't relevant. But yeah like I said the demographic here would just want it to be in one thread so it can be ignored easily. 

And LMAO at the politics board coming together, you just literally made that up and if you saying you can't see that this board is a majority skewed one way then just sit this one out and not speak on it before jumping out to argue against it and you don't really know.

• Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

On the flip-side though, what else could he say?  What you and Cole were saying about it being a good ole boy situation were not correct due to the information put out there on the Eagles Nest side of the forum, and he said just that.  Bird could not give a reason because it would be leaking that information.  That is why it came across as ambiguous.  It's a fine line, and one I realized I was walking myself earlier and why I think Cole may be wrongly accusing me of trolling.  I want to respect the forum rules but at the same time be helpful if the reasons put out there were incorrect.

Not say anything. How you going to say someone is wrong and then not provide context. Then add, but if you really want to know you just got to pay a fee. And how do you know the information they put out is even accurate? You sound crazy. Do you know these dudes in real life? I am just trying to think logical. If it is as bad as you are making it out to seem, why is he not fired or a mutual parting of ways by now? You are acting like he has some sort of hedge fund scandal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Simple look at the HC hire.  We went from High school to the Mountain West.

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I'm not saying you were trolling I'm saying you as far as since you took it upon yourself to question why don't we donate, I'm saying you as far as you the donor side already have trolling going on. Not you personally

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Bro you are so sensitive you think EVERYTHING is about you. Nobody said you were trolling.  Was this not your quote below?  Come on man.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

And I don't know this part to be true but it looks as you already have a situation of trolling passive aggressively the you don't know what we know stuff. But I just know football....

You saying bird addressed me is hilarious. So bird says no it isn't and I'm supposed to go sit in the corner and be quiet? Get real. Well if that's the case I addressed you all.

You see how it's natural for you to take up for that bull. Nobody can point out me ever bringing up anything about race when it wasn't relevant. But yeah like I said the demographic here would just want it to be in one thread so it can be ignored easily.  Why would it be natural for me?  Threads have been locked because they turned on a dime onto this issue.

And LMAO at the politics board coming together, you just literally made that up and if you saying you can't see that this board is a majority skewed one way then just sit this one out and not speak on it before jumping out to argue against it and you don't really know.  How on earth did I make that up?  Go on the Politics forum.  You see both republican's and democrats making threads and having discussions.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

You are just confused. I'm not about to type paragraphs for you to ignore. Ok man whatever you think

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

You are just confused. I'm not about to type paragraphs for you to ignore. Ok man whatever you think

No seriously.  You can't call me a troll and then say you never said it.  Did you, or did you not say this:

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

And I don't know this part to be true but it looks as you already have a situation of trolling passive aggressively the you don't know what we know stuff. But I just know football....

And you insinuated at the racial issues being natural to me.  If you are going to say something that blatantly wrong, explain yourself please.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

Not going to argue with anybody about my opinion.  But no I'm not inclined to pay when I'm not necessarily treated like everybody else, and people will jump down my throat for things but it's cool and open season to say whatever they want to me. 

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

No seriously.  You can't call me a troll and then say you never said it.  Did you, or did you not say this:

And you insinuated at the racial issues being natural to me.  If you are going to say something that blatantly wrong, explain yourself please.

I explained what I was saying in another post what I was saying. And I didn't insinuate racial issues I stated it's natural for you to want to argue with me and take up for everybody else on earth while pretending you have to break down and explain to me for me to understand. This is literally like the sixth time where you just jump in and say something like this.

I don't think it's what you said Cole. I think you misinterpreted what they are saying and it's really you that are wrong.....then I reply to you it's exactly what I said don't try to fix it. Then you reply Cole I'm one of the few people that like you so I have no reason to argue with you so clearly I'm right. And then when I say well you were wrong and maybe you need to look at yourself, you'll say I do look at myself remember back in 96 when I said this? And after time goes by and it's proven that I'm right you'll ignore that part and say I'm bringing up old stuff is the problem