Tiger Talk - Week 2

RunInRed

BRYAN HARSIN, Auburn head coach

-- Final thoughts on the win vs. Akron, says (again) it was great to be in front of the fans and a packed stadium. “There’s been a lot of work over the last nine months just to prepare yourself to compete.”

-- On the 11 a.m. kickoff this weekend, notes you need to get fueled up early and get ready to go. Walk-through, etc. is shorter. “We need to have that mindset when we get out there that we’re ready to play.”

-- On Alabama State, says statistically they do a good job on defense limiting big plays and sound in situational work. Lots of athletes, quick passing game, strong ground game. Believes teams that played in the spring, like Alabama State did with the FCS season, will have some advantage in the fall.

-- Listener question on if any player who really surprised him against Akron, Harsin says there were several -- but only because he hadn’t had a chance to see them in a game before, only practice. Cites the defense specifically for running to the ball and tackling well. Offensively, he was happy with Tank Bigsby and Shaun Shivers, as well as freshman running back Jarquez Hunter. “There was a lot of really good things, but I don’t know if I get too surprised” in games.

-- On 9/11 and where he was, says he was a GA at Boise State. They were set to play Louisiana Tech that week. He walked into Dan Hawkins’ office as the towers began to fall. Had lots of different emotions -- angry, sad, confused. Team wound up not practicing that day, “which was the right thing to do.”

-- More on the student section and the chance to thank them after the game, says they had “great energy, and you could feel that the entire game.”

-- On locking back in after Week 1: “I like the turnaround. I like the second game. I like the true week of preparation.” Says it’s more difficult preparing for Week 1, because you have so much time but no new film on the opponent. That changes after Week 1, and the team is in a much more regimented schedule. “I like that because that’s the real season right there for the players.”

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2021/09/live-updates-bryan-harsin-previews-alabama-state-on-tiger-talk.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4