Republicans Keep Getting Fooled By Their Own Satire and Propaganda.

CoffeeTiger

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

So, to that point, how about designating the statements in that statement you find objectionable and why. 

Gender-Affirming Surgeries
   “Top” surgery – to create male-typical chest shape or enhance breasts
“Bottom” surgery – surgery on genitals or reproductive organs
Facial feminization or other procedures
 Typically used in adulthood or case- by-case in adolescence
   Not reversible.

This is copied from the source reference from the last bullet point.  It describes *top* and *bottom* surgery that are not reversible to adults or *case by case in adolescence.

The concern is the adolescent may or may not fully understand the ramifications of a non-reversible surgery at that age.  What would be the rush to become sterile at such an early age?

17 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

And no I don’t want my kids learning about “diversity” from a teacher in kindergarten including pictures and graphic descriptions...

Please show an example where a kindergarten teacher is doing this.

• Like 1

The way I see it, there are two separate issues with the Florida bill. The first: the reactionaries shout that they don't want their young children being taught about gay sex by a school teacher. Well, guess what - teachers up through third grade have never taught their kids about any type sex, so in this sense the bill is a solution without a problem. 

However, this bill is an attempt to shut down any discussion whatsoever about gay or transgender people, threating lawsuits against teachers that make any mention of it. This can obviously be harmful to kids that are gay or transgender, but can also be harmful to straight children who have same-sex parents. I've witnessed this first-hand, as my daughter's best friend is the daughter of a gay couple. She was teased from a young age by ignorant children that had not been exposed to it. The Florida bill would criminalize a teacher explaining to those children that gay people and couples do exist, and that even if the student doesn't agree with it, they should respect others as people, not bully or tease them. No mention need be made about how they perform sexual acts, and if the students ask the teacher how a gay couple has children, at that point they say "you need to discuss that with your parents," which 99.9% of teachers would do. The hysterics come from bigots who use the "don't teach our kids about sex" non-argument as a shield so they don't expose themselves for who they are. 

As to children having gender reassignment surgery, @homersapienis correct that it's not a decision for anyone other than the child, their parents, and their doctor. No, you don't want a child having the surgery at an age where they can't understand and make an informed decision, but it can also be quite harmful if you wait too long. As some have said, what you learn and experience from an early age sticks with you your entire life. How much does it affect mental health if the state makes you wait until you're 21 years old to physically become the gender you always felt you were? How severe an impact would it make that you couldn't feel comfortable dating in high school? How much more difficult would it be for family and friends to adjust? I'm not saying every parent should be free to take their child in and immediately schedule surgery for their 5-year-old, but can anyone show an example where that's been done? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leftfield said:

As to children having gender reassignment surgery,  Homer is correct that it's not a decision for anyone other than the child, their parents, and their doctor.

Currently, the local Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) determine coverage of gender reassignment surgery on a case-by-case basis. We received a complete, formal request to make a national coverage determination on surgical remedies for gender identity disorder (GID), now known as gender dysphoria. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is not issuing a National Coverage Determination (NCD) at this time on gender reassignment surgery for Medicare beneficiaries with gender dysphoria because the clinical evidence is inconclusive for the Medicare population.

https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/view/ncacal-decision-memo.aspx?proposed=N&NCAId=282

Homer said the government should stay out of this discussion, well, Medicare is approving coverage of gender reassignment surgeries on a case-by-case basis.  So a child with gender dysphoria and (what ever pronoun) parents go to a doctor and the doctor says yes, you would benefit from gender reassignment surgery and here is how to pay for it.  

Do you think that decision is only between the child, parent and doctor?  Do you think the government is involved at all?

Have you heard what they are doing in Washington state?

Washington state now appears to allow minors to undergo life-changing gender reassignment surgery without parental consent.

Under a new law, health insurers must cover “gender-affirming” care, including surgical treatments that were previously denied coverage. Democrats rejected a proposal to apply the new law to patients over 18 years old.

It’s one in a series of new laws that, taken together, allow children as young as 13 years old to make serious health care decisions. The consequences are immense.

https://mynorthwest.com/3296653/rantz-washington-laws-permit-teen-gender-reassignment-surgery-parental-consent/

Serious question: would you move to Washington state and, as a parent, be good with your daughter having a gender reassignment surgery at 13 and you not have a say in that decision?

Leftist love to hit on Conservative state legislatures, but never consider the Liberal states and what they are doing.

it can also be quite harmful if you wait too long.

Any data on this?  I know people that have transitioned after they were married with kids.  It didn't seem to be harmful to her.

How much does it affect mental health if the state makes you wait until you're 21 years old to physically become the gender you always felt you were?

Any data on this?  How many people that transitioned early and regretted it?

Hundreds of trans people regret changing their gender, says trans activist

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20191007/Hundreds-of-trans-people-regret-changing-their-gender-says-trans-activist.aspx

This is anecdotal evidence, but so it yours.

2 hours ago, Leftfield said:

The hysterics come from bigots who use the "don't teach our kids about sex" non-argument as a shield so they don't expose themselves for who they are. 

This is homeresque, well done.  It couldn’t be the parents don’t want to lose the right to teach values to their own children and not let the state tell the kids what values to hold dear.

As soon as states like Washington tell kids they can make up their own mind on things and NOT listen to your parents the kids lose respect for their parents.  If these are the bigots you are referring to I will stand up for any parent that actually parents their children and not let the state tell them what values are deemed to be virtuous.

22 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gender-Affirming Surgeries
   “Top” surgery – to create male-typical chest shape or enhance breasts
“Bottom” surgery – surgery on genitals or reproductive organs
Facial feminization or other procedures
 Typically used in adulthood or case- by-case in adolescence
   Not reversible.

This is copied from the source reference from the last bullet point.  It describes *top* and *bottom* surgery that are not reversible to adults or *case by case in adolescence.

The concern is the adolescent may or may not fully understand the ramifications of a non-reversible surgery at that age.  What would be the rush to become sterile at such an early age?

No, actually you didn't do what I asked.

I asked you to quote the actual statement and explain your objection to each point. Let's focus on the actual substance instead of your interpretation or reaction (which is not supported by the actual substance.

Instead you threw out possible therapies for transgenders as if they were government recommendations, which they are not.

In other words, the question is: What is the administration's "statement"  actually doing or recommending and what is the potential effect on transgender - or cisgender - children and their families?

For example, here's how I  interpret it, point by point:

Providing resources for transgender kids and their families. Transgender children are put at higher risk of attempted suicide or mental health challenges when they face bullying, rejection, or denial of health care. The Biden Administration is releasing several new resources to help transgender children and their parents thrive:

Providing resources to reduce the risk of suicide or mental health challenges for both transgender children - and their families - is a laudable goal, unless one simply dismisses the condition or simply don't care if they commit suicide or develop mental health challenges.

• Providing mental health resources for transgender youth. In recent months, multiple states have removed critical information about mental health resources for LGBTQI+ youth from official state websites. Transgender youth often face significant barriers in accessing supportive resources, and are at greater risk of attempted suicide. In response, the Department of Health and Human Services released a new website that offers resources for transgender and LGBTQI+ youth, their parents, and providers. These resources include best practices for affirming an LGBTQI+ child, and information about suicide prevention services.

What's wrong with providing mental health resources for transgender youth??   What's wrong with providing a website where these children or parents can access such help?

If one is really disturbed about the existance of transgender children - or consider them a threat -   why would they consider providing mental health resources to help - or even to diagnose - such children a negative?? 

Does that threaten you?

Being opposed to such mental health care or diagnostic services comes across as if you consider transgender people evil or otherwise hate them.

• Expanding trainings to support transgender and nonbinary students in schools. The Office of Safe and Supportive Schools in the Department of Education will offer new training for schools with experts and school leaders who will discuss the challenges faced by many transgender and nonbinary students and strategies and actions for providing support.

Again, since schools are the most likely place where transgender children are subject to ridicule or hate (which often results in suicide), what's wrong with a recommendation to educate and train school teachers and administrators to deal with that risk?

Opposing that comes across as a total disdain for the needs of transgender children, if not a denial they exist or a hate of them if they do.

• Confirming the positive impact of gender affirming care on youth mental health. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has posted LGBTQI+ Youth – Like All Americans, They Deserve Evidence-Based Care, in which Miriam Delphin-Rittmon, Ph.D., HHS Assistant Secretary for Mental Health and Substance Use and the leader of SAMHSA, shares how to engage LGBTQI+ youth, the evidence behind the positive effects of gender affirming care, and available resources for LGBTQI+ youth, their families, providers, community organizations, and government agencies.

Why oppose an effort to determine if any of these support services are actually working??  That sounds like a common sense follow-up to me, one which is typically neglected in many government initiatives.

• Confirming that gender-affirming care is trauma-informed care. The National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN), which is administered by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, is releasing new information for providers confirming that providing gender-affirming care is neither child maltreatment nor malpractice.

This seems rather obvious to me, but then I don't understand how recognizing these children actually exist and are suffering from the way they are treated (suicides, bullying) and trying to do something to reduce their risks or suffering could be considered "child abuse".  In fact, it's totally  irrational to think otherwise.  Absurd, if you will.

• Providing resources on the importance of gender affirming care for children and adolescents. The Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health has developed a resource to inform parents and guardians, educators, and other persons supporting children and adolescents with information on what is gender-affirming care and why it is important to transgender, nonbinary, and other gender expansive young people’s well-being.

Again, how could anyone oppose this?   

Again, such opposition to simply providing such a resource comes across as either denial of their existence or a fear/hatred of them

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/statements-releases/2022/03/31/fact-sheet-biden-harris-administration-advances-equality-and-visibility-for-transgender-americans/

Bottom line, there is nothing in that statement that advocates "Gender-Affirming Surgeries" of whatever type.  While that sort of treatment may be available as an option,  I see nothing that is being recommended by our government.

All I see in the government's statement is the provision of resources that would allow for transgenders and/or their parents (depending on age)  to make informed decisions on such procedures on their own behalf.

You said: "...the adolescent may or may not fully understand the ramifications of a non-reversible surgery at that age...."

If so, why would you oppose providing help/information to parents to make informed decisions on behalf of their children?

Why would you oppose providing adult transgenders help/information to make such decisions for themselves? 

And most importantly, why would it be any of your business with how parents deal with their transgender children or for that matter, how adult transgenders deal with their own sexuality?

Again, your responses are based either on a belief transgenders don't exist and/or a hatred or fear of them if they do.

The first reflects simple ignorance of the matter. 

The second reflects a "buy-in" to the hysterical fear or hatred that is being supported by cynical, hateful politicians who are pandering to ignorance and fear or hatred just as they have many times in our past.

(See the history of homosexuality as a pertinent example.)

Are you also fear or hate homosexuals?  Can I assume you recognize that homosexuals exist?  Can I assume you believe homosexuals have an equal right to live their lives in our society without being subject to persecution?

This current hysteria has nothing to do with protecting children, cisgender or not.   It has everything to do with generating hate or fear for political purposes. (And if anyone is evil it's the politicians who promote this fear-based hysteria for political gain.) 

So, my point still stands.  We have been here before.  Don't sell your soul by buying into the hysteria. Don't allow yourself to fall victim to it.

Edited by homersapien
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Currently, the local Medicare Administrative Contractors (MACs) determine coverage of gender reassignment surgery on a case-by-case basis. We received a complete, formal request to make a national coverage determination on surgical remedies for gender identity disorder (GID), now known as gender dysphoria. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) is not issuing a National Coverage Determination (NCD) at this time on gender reassignment surgery for Medicare beneficiaries with gender dysphoria because the clinical evidence is inconclusive for the Medicare population.

https://www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/view/ncacal-decision-memo.aspx?proposed=N&NCAId=282

Homer said the government should stay out of this discussion, well, Medicare is approving coverage of gender reassignment surgeries on a case-by-case basis.  So a child with gender dysphoria and (what ever pronoun) parents go to a doctor and the doctor says yes, you would benefit from gender reassignment surgery and here is how to pay for it. 

Do you think transgender children do not have a right to Medicare if they qualify?

And yes, I still maintain that the government does not have the right to decide for a transgender child's parents whether or not any sort of surgery is appropriate or should be made unavailable.

But the immediate topic is the administration's statement, which is aimed at providing transgenders and parents resources to make informed decisions, not involving itself in the decision itself.

The only thing Medicare is arguably be responsible for is vetting that the decision is properly informed and medically supported.

58 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

As soon as states like Washington tell kids they can make up their own mind on things and NOT listen to your parents the kids lose respect for their parents.  If these are the bigots you are referring to I will stand up for any parent that actually parents their children and not let the state tell them what values are deemed to be virtuous.

Ah yes, the state is going to operate on your cisgender child without your permission!!! 

What does anything that Washington state may - or may not - have done have to do with the issue on the table - the Biden administration's "statement" ?

Let's try to deal with one diversion or false premise at a time, OK?

Edited by homersapien

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Do you think transgender children do not have a right to Medicare if they qualify?

And yes, I still maintain that the government does not have the right to decide for a transgender child's parents whether or not any sort of surgery is appropriate or should be made unavailable.

But the immediate topic is the administration's statement, which is aimed at providing transgenders and parents resources to make informed decisions, not involving itself in the decision itself.

The only thing Medicare is arguably be responsible for is vetting that the decision is properly informed and medically supported.

Of course transgender children have the right to Medicare if they qualify.  The point is Medicare is an incentive to go through with the procedures and that is governmental interference, but you wouldn’t see that.

As for Medicare responsibly vetting  the proper decision;  are you kidding?

How about Washington state?

Washington state now appears to allow minors to undergo life-changing gender reassignment surgery without parental consent.

Under a new law, health insurers must cover “gender-affirming” care, including surgical treatments that were previously denied coverage. Democrats rejected a proposal to apply the new law to patients over 18 years old.

It’s one in a series of new laws that, taken together, allow children as young as 13 years old to make serious health care decisions. The consequences are immense.

https://mynorthwest.com/3296653/rantz-washington-laws-permit-teen-gender-reassignment-surgery-parental-consent/

Would you consider governmental interference in the right of a parent to raise their own children?

26 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

If true, this sounds like the sort of problem the Biden administration's statement is designed to address.

15 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Do you think that decision is only between the child, parent and doctor?  Do you think the government is involved at all?

You're moving the goalposts. I said the decision to have the surgery is strictly between the child, parents, and doctor. You're now making the argument about paying for it. I do believe the government should in some cases, though not sure what the threshold should be. Would have to think about that.

20 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Have you heard what they are doing in Washington state?

Serious question: would you move to Washington state and, as a parent, be good with your daughter having a gender reassignment surgery at 13 and you not have a say in that decision?

Leftist love to hit on Conservative state legislatures, but never consider the Liberal states and what they are doing.

Moving the goalposts again. We were talking about the federal government, and you were railing on the Biden administration on this issue.

For the record, no, I do not agree with a 13-year-old making their own decisions without parental or guardian consent.

And once again, I'm not a "Leftist," no matter how hard you try to paint me as one.

23 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Any data on this?  

Any data on a question I'm asking?

And I'm certain there are people that regret their surgeries. You can find many people that regret many things. That doesn't mean you shut off the ability for others to do the same thing. 

25 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is homeresque, well done.  It couldn’t be the parents don’t want to lose the right to teach values to their own children and not let the state tell the kids what values to hold dear.

Well, if the shoe fits....

I never said the parents couldn't teach their values, but it's ridiculous to prevent teachers from explaining the reality of the situation if it comes up. As I said in my earlier message, a teacher can explain why one student should respect another without requiring that student to agree with how that student lives their life, or delving into the mechanics of their sexuality. You're either unwilling or unable to see that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Ah yes, the state is going to operate on your cisgender child without your permission!!! 

What does anything that Washington state may - or may not - have done have anything to do with the issue on the table - the Biden administration's "statement" ?

Let's try to deal with one diversion or false premise at a time, OK?

You stated in an earlier post:

Because - of course - it's none of your f***ing business. 

Nor is it the government's:

Washington state is a government that is taking away control of the parents in the decision making process for gender reassignment surgery.

By the way, a so called *cisgender* child does not need gender reassignment surgery.

Try to keep up.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Of course transgender children have the right to Medicare if they qualify.  The point is Medicare is an incentive to go through with the procedures and that is governmental interference, but you wouldn’t see that.

As for Medicare responsibly vetting  the proper decision;  are you kidding? No I am not "kidding". 

But this is not a statement of fact, it's a baseless.

How about Washington state?

I have not research this yet, but the above qualification is a warning flag you don't know what your are talking about.

This sounds to me like a law that simply puts trans-gender treatment on the list of qualifying treatments for insurance coverage. It says nothing about how the decision is made or for that matter, what medical validation is required to determine what qualifies that decision as valid.

Again, you are buying into the hysteria that your (normal) child is going to be subjected to surgery without your involvement. 

I don't believe that is realistic.

How about quoting the provisions that do that?

Would you consider governmental interference in the right of a parent to raise their own children?

You need to edit that as it's not a complete sentence. But ASSUMING you are asking if I think the government should interfere in the (legally competent) parent's right - or ability - to make medical decisions about their own children, NO I do not.

But the "guvment is going to keep me from raising my own children" is a classic example of the political hysteria at issue

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You stated in an earlier post:

Because - of course - it's none of your f***ing business. 

Nor is it the government's:

Washington state is a government that is taking away control of the parents in the decision making process for gender reassignment surgery.

By the way, a so called *cisgender* child does not need gender reassignment surgery.

Try to keep up.

The government offering assistance in getting professional resources to citizens is a perfectly valid function of government. It happens all the time.

Where did I suggest cis-gender children might have a need for gender reassignment surgery? 

I don't believe what you are saying about the state of Washington.  I suspect you are overlooking something significant to whatever they legislated.  I think your hysterical fear is overwhelming your cognitive capability.

Edited by homersapien

7 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

I said the decision to have the surgery is strictly between the child, parents, and doctor. You're now making the argument about paying for it. I do believe the government should in some cases, though not sure what the threshold should be. Would have to think about that.

If the surgery is strictly between the child, parents and doctor how can you believe the government should be involved?  Paying for the procedure would influence the parents who are the only ones that would put up the most resistance.

11 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

We were talking about the federal government, and you were railing on the Biden administration on this issue.

For the record, no, I do not agree with a 13-year-old making their own decisions without parental or guardian consent.

And once again, I'm not a "Leftist," no matter how hard you try to paint me as one.

Yes, I am railing on the Biden Administration as their DOJ is looking into the Florida law to see if it violates any discrimination laws while saying nothing about the Washington laws.  Biden has the Trans Kids backs and endorses gender reassignment surgeries while most of the parents reject that stance.

Don’t move to Washington.

I did not call you a leftist

18 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Any data on a question I'm asking?

Yes, you posed the question and I asked if you have any data on that question? 

21 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

I never said the parents couldn't teach their values, but it's ridiculous to prevent teachers from explaining the reality of the situation if it comes up. As I said in my earlier message, a teacher can explain why one student should respect another without requiring that student to agree with how that student lives their life, or delving into the mechanics of their sexuality. You're either unwilling or unable to see that.

If a question of a sexual nature comes up the teacher should refer the student back to their parents in K-3 grade.  There are some situations that are sensitive enough that the teacher should have some situational awareness as to avoid the subject.  Yes a teacher is capable and should teach good citizenship in the school setting, I agree with that.

31 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Well, if the shoe fits....

Once again, I am not a bigot no matter how hard you try to paint me as one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Not sure if you have a point you are trying to make, but I seriously doubt Medicare would cover any particular procedure without a medical basis for it. 

Nor should they.

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Where did I suggest cis-gender children might have a need for gender reassignment surgery? 

45 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Why would a so called *cisgender* child require an operation that the parent would not be aware?  Only in a gender reassignment surgery as that is the topic.

Did you ever ask you siblings about how they felt about this issue?

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Not sure if you have a point you are trying to make, but I seriously doubt Medicare would cover any particular procedure without a medical basis for it. 

Nor should they.

I know, Medicare has never been defrauded by the medical community.

58 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Children are on Medicare?

21 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Why would a so called *cisgender* child require an operation that the parent would not be aware?  Only in a gender reassignment surgery as that is the topic.

Did you ever ask you siblings about how they felt about this issue?

They wouldn't require such an operation which was exactly my point. 

Transgender hysteria is aimed at everyone - especially those who have cisgender children. 

If they actually had transsexual kids, they would understand there's no threat and they certainly would not hate them.

"Please try to keep up". ;)  ;D

And my siblings are MAGAs.  They actually  believe there's reason to fear.

Are you going to start responding to my direct questions at some point?

Edited by homersapien

Just now, homersapien said:

They wouldn't, which was exactly my point.  Transgender hysteria is aimed at everyone - even those who have cisgender children.

"Please try to keep up". ;)  ;D

And my siblings are MAGAs.  They actually  believe this crap. 

Is this the first time you have ever come up with a *joke*?  That was way off the mark.

13 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I know, Medicare has never been defrauded by the medical community.

Still don't understand the point you were trying to make, if there was one.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is this the first time you have ever come up with a *joke*?  That was way off the mark.

What are you referring to?

I have made no jokes.

Edited by homersapien

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Nonsense.

Medicare is not an "incentive" for an eligible transsexual to obtained a desired procedures relating to their condition.

And if they provide such services, that's certainly not "government interference" :rolleyes:, it's simply Medicare (the government) providing the same insurance as they do to anyone else who is eligible

So, you either don't recognize transsexuals as real - so undeserving of treatment - or you are willing to persecute them because you hate or fear them.

Either way, you are demonstrating your gullibility to transsexual hysteria, which supports either premise. 

Edited by homersapien

15 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Please show an example where a kindergarten teacher is doing this.

Google "Is sex education taught in grades k-3" and see what you find. I was surprised frankly and suspect it will change some of your thoughts on the matter. 

Edited by AUFAN78
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Google "Is sex education taught in grades k-3" and see what you find. I was surprised frankly and suspect it will change some of your thoughts on the matter. 

I stand corrected.

I would note, however, that in all the cases I saw in my search (which admittedly was not exhaustive), none of it was mandatory and the parents can opt out, which frankly I would do with my children at that age. I don't have a problem with a curriculum being developed for children, but I agree it should not be required.

Thanks for pointing it out.