Republicans Keep Getting Fooled By Their Own Satire and Propaganda.

CoffeeTiger

54 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’m concerned that the LBGTQ coalition is being used as a cudgel to push an agenda that a lot of people are opposed.  

What is that "agenda"? 

Edited by homersapien

46 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Teaching children about the world they will inhabit and the people they will encounter is a bad thing?

If you are talking about SEL (Social and Emotional Learning) I agree if they can stick to the subject.

48 minutes ago, Leftfield said:

Certainly, if someone is pushing to go into discussions of actual sex acts, especially explicitly, I could understand the concern, but that's not what is being proposed in the vast majority of cases.

This happens at some schools and you can go to YouTube and see for yourself.

The bottom line is most Floridian’s (and probably Americans) are in favor of the Florida Parental Rights Bill in Education regardless of the spin the LBGTQ coalition puts on it

It is also interesting to note:  
As of October 1, 2020: Thirty states and the District of Columbia require public schools teach sex education, 28 of which mandate both sex education and HIV education.  Wisconsin is not one of them and might be the reason you have not come across an issue.

I think Florida took a preemptive strike against teaching the National Sex Education Standard.

• Love 1

Speaking of Florida and their governor:

Ron DeSantis’s repulsive war on Disney will soon face a reckoning

The stench of presidential ambition around Ron DeSantis has grown so thick that it resembles Charlie Brown pal Pigpen’s visible cloud of filth, and key to the Florida governor’s hopes is finding a way to capture the political energies unleashed by Donald Trump.

DeSantis must accomplish this while carving out a distinct path from that of the former president, who might run again himself. DeSantis’s new war with Disney appears to fit the bill perfectly.

As a good report from NBC News chronicles, DeSantis’s fellow Republicans see this battle as key to burnishing his national anti-“woke” brand. DeSantis escalated his attacks on Disney amid its criticism of the law he signed limiting classroom discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity.

But DeSantis’s war on Disney will soon face a reckoning. A big question is whether DeSantis will seek to revoke Disney’s state tax incentives as a weapon in the war over that measure, which opponents call the “Don’t Say Gay” law.

If so, that could alienate Republicans who are fine with a bit of performative culture-warring but want to keep corporations happy where it really counts, i.e., on their bottom line. If not, that could disappoint right-wingers who actively want Republicans to wield state power wherever possible to bring “woke” corporations to their knees.

Disney came out against the “Don’t Say Gay” bill after facing intense internal pressure from employees. Disney argued that it “could be used to unfairly target” LGBT kids and families.

That’s a perfectly reasonable fear. The law outlaws “instruction” in “sexual orientation or gender identity” that is not “age-appropriate.” Legal experts note that such vague wording could allow conservative parents to claim violations in many typical situations, such as a teacher mentioning gay families, or a kid discussing her gay parents, or a teacher helping a transgender student seek counseling.

Regardless, DeSantis has gone on the attack. He’s raising money off Disney’s opposition, labeling it “radical.” And he recently suggested that he might target Disney’s “special privileges” in the state.

That’s repulsive stuff. Even some Republicans have noted that Disney is simply exercising its right to weigh in on a public issue, one that matters deeply to many customers and employees, and shouldn’t face the threat of state retaliation for doing so.

Regardless, under questioning from reporters, DeSantis then clarified he is not targeting Disney’s enormously lucrative tax breaks, one of which totals in the hundreds of millions of dollars to encourage Disney to move more than 2,000 employees to Florida from California. DeSantis justified this by claiming all companies are treated equally by such tax incentives.

But as Florida state Rep. Anna Eskamani (D) points out, Disney benefits from a tax incentive program only available to very large corporations. Eskamani says DeSantis should repeal Disney’s tax breaks in order to actually treat businesses equally, as a matter of good policy, rather than allowing that status quo to remain while going after Disney in a merely “performative" way.

“Nothing about Disney’s business model has changed whatsoever,” Eskamani told me.

James Clark, a history professor at the University of Central Florida, points to a subtle game at work here. Disney has poured enormous sums into the campaign coffers of DeSantis and GOP state legislatures, according to the Orlando Sentinel, though some Democrats have benefited as well.

DeSantis’s rhetorical attacks on Disney might not be enough to imperil future Disney donations to Republicans. Meanwhile, if Republicans keep its corporate interests largely protected, it could help sustain that arrangement.

“Disney has been very helpful to the Republican Party,” Clark told me. “I don’t think Republicans want to do anything to jeopardize that flow of money.” Disney has said it’s reassessing its political donations in response to the new law, but that will likely blow over.

Yet here’s the thing: Some on the right, particularly the new nationalists seeking to build a post-Trump Trumpism, actually do believe the state should be weaponized to fight the culture wars as aggressively as possible. Fox News’s Laura Ingraham is urging Republicans to use every tool of government possible to break corporations economically — as a weapon of retaliation against excessive wokeness.

It’s sometimes said that Republicans are turning against large corporations in a fundamental shift of economic ideology. But that’s mostly nonsense. Republicans have mainly threatened retaliation for corporate transgressions such as standing up for African Americans’ voting rights, trying to protect customers and workers with vaccine mandates, cooperating with a congressional investigation into Trump’s insurrection, and now, speaking up for LGBT people.

Indeed, one prominent right-wing activist explicitly told Michelle Goldberg that attacks on Disney are all about teaching it “the lesson” that “they should stay out of politics.” The goal is to wield state power to dissuade corporations from empowering the enemy known as social liberalism.

Yet at some point you’d think some on the right will want to see actual corporate blood on the floor. As a Know Your Enemy podcast powerfully details, the use of state government power to punish or stigmatize trans kids and their families is multiplying ferociously across the country. How long until the right wants real results in the war against corporate wokeness?

If so, keeping the old cozy relationship between Disney and Florida Republicans such as DeSantis largely intact just won’t cut it anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/04/ron-desantis-disney-dont-say-gay-bill/

I think it's pretty obvious what DeSantis is up to - creating and capitalizing on sexuality hysteria for political purposes. 

He couldn't give a s*** for what's best for children in his state.

It's also revealing how some Republicans (a.k.a. MAGAs) reveal their affinity for the arbitrary use of state power by "performative" governors and presidents (a.k.a. authoritarians).

Edited by homersapien

2 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

As of October 1, 2020: Thirty states and the District of Columbia require public schools teach sex education, 28 of which mandate both sex education and HIV education.  Wisconsin is not one of them and might be the reason you have not come across an issue.

I think Florida took a preemptive strike against teaching the National Sex Education Standard.

Yeah, let the little buggers learn it on their own by getting pregnant and/or infected with STDs!   :-\

13 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yeah, let the little buggers learn it on their own by getting pregnant and/or infected with STDs!   :-\

This is North Carolina’s law about teaching Sex Education.  They do not abide by the National Sex Education Standard.

§ 115C-81.30. Reproductive health and safety education provided by local school administrative units.

in part:

Teach that abstinence from sexual activity is the only certain means of avoiding out-of-wedlock pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases when transmitted through sexual contact, including HIV/AIDS, and other associated health and emotional problems. As used in this section, "HIV/AIDS" means Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.

If you would like to read more https://www.ncleg.gov/enactedlegislation/statutes/pdf/bysection/chapter_115c/gs_115c-81.30.pdf

The little buggers do learn at school about absenting from sexual activity and STDs

Unlike these states:

LGBTQ-inclusive sex education is required in California, Colorado, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington and the District of Columbia.May 26, 2021

This is a hot issue right now especially with parents.

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This happens at some schools and you can go to YouTube and see for yourself.

Understood, and those could and should be dealt with, but unless you can find a government, at any level, that has adopted this as mandatory instruction for K-3, your entire point is barking up the wrong tree.

The bottom line is most Floridian’s (and probably Americans) are in favor of the Florida Parental Rights Bill in Education regardless of the spin the LBGTQ coalition puts on it

Not sure what you're referring to with "spin." Are they saying support for the bill isn't as strong as it actually is, or are they inaccurately describing what's in the bill?

I would also point out that at one time, the majority of Americans did not want black children in the same classroom as white children. 

I have only lived in Wisconsin for 13 years total (in two stretches). I grew up in Louisiana, and have lived in Alabama and Georgia. My oldest was only in Georgia schools, and two others were there for a time.

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leftfield said:

Understood, and those could and should be dealt with, but unless you can find a government, at any level, that has adopted this as mandatory instruction for K-3, your entire point is barking up the wrong tree.

Washington state is an example of K-3 teaching self identity.

https://www.k12.wa.us/sites/default/files/public/healthfitness/standards/hpe-standards.pdf

Health Education Core Idea: Sexual Health (Se) Starts on page 28 of the pdf.

Not sure what you're referring to with "spin." Are they saying support for the bill isn't as strong as it actually is, or are they inaccurately describing what's in the bill?

The LGBTQ coalition is presenting the Florida Parental Rights Bill as the *Don’t Say Gay* bill when in reality the word *gay* does not appear in the language of the bill at all.

Support for the bill is over 60%, even 55% of Democrat voters in Florida support the bill.

I would also point out that at one time, the majority of Americans did not want black children in the same classroom as white children. 

Yes, I remember that.  Former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden once said he didn't want his kids to grow up in a "racial jungle" in regards to desegregation.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

But DeSantis’s war on Disney will soon face a reckoning. A big question is whether DeSantis will seek to revoke Disney’s state tax incentives as a weapon in the war over that measure, which opponents call the “Don’t Say Gay” law.

No, taxes will not be weaponized and you know that. Florida and Disney will continue and be fine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2022/04/01/florida-gov-desantis-wants-to-punish-disney-but-wont-go-after-its-corporate-tax-breaks/?sh=6facc7d94745

DeSantis said that while he’s in favor of the state taking away privileges that are unique to Disney, those tax breaks are ones “that any business would be eligible for,” and insisted there are “no special tax breaks that are Disney-specific that we would contemplate” taking away.

Edited by SaltyTiger

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

No there is no equivalency in that example.

Bigot, racist and xenophobic have intrinsic, negative meanings regardless of their accuracy in a given accusation.

So the worst you can say about anyone using bigot, racist or xenophobe as criticism is that they are wrong in the case at issue.

On the other hand, "wokeness" has no inherently negative meaning, in fact,  just the opposite.  It's inherent meaning is that one is sensitive to the reality of racism, misogyny, prejudice, etc.

Therefore, using "wokeness" as a criticism necessarily means you either  deny the existence of racism, etc., or you think being sensitive to such realities is bad. 

It's inherently self-damning.

No Homer. Woke or Wokeness has become an insult and slur, an embarrassment for liberals. People are pushing back hard and you will see major upheaval in November. 
Get ready for it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Wokeness

Here is Elon Musk's definition of "Wokeness."................"At its heart, wokeness is divisive, exclusionary, and hateful. It basically gives mean people a shield to be mean and cruel, armored in false virtue."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Washington state is an example of K-3 teaching self identity.

https://www.k12.wa.us/sites/default/files/public/healthfitness/standards/hpe-standards.pdf

Health Education Core Idea: Sexual Health (Se) Starts on page 28 of the pdf.

I guess I should have been more specific, as I was referring to any level of Florida government. With that said, what you've cited above are the Washington State Learning Standards. The state does not mandate that all topics be taught, only that if they are, they stick to the standards. Per the state site:

New Requirements

Beginning in the 2022-23 school year, schools must provide social-emotional learning (SEL) to students in grades K-3, consistent with SEL Standards and Benchmarks. SEL provides skills to do things like cope with feelings, set goals, and get along with others. No sexuality content or curriculum will be required, although districts may choose to offer additional instruction in alignment with K-12 Learning Standards for Health Education.

The LGBTQ coalition is presenting the Florida Parental Rights Bill as the *Don’t Say Gay* bill when in reality the word *gay* does not appear in the language of the bill at all.

You're really going to die on the technicality hill?

"Don't say gay" is pretty much an accurate description, considering the bill doesn't allow teachers to talk about, you know, being gay.

Yes, I remember that.  Former U.S. Vice President Joe Biden once said he didn't want his kids to grow up in a "racial jungle" in regards to desegregation.

Ah! Whataboutism rears it's head! Wonderful!

My point, in case you missed it, was that democracy yields to civil rights. 

I guess it's good that Biden changed, eh? Not too late for you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Leftfield said:

I stand corrected.

I would note, however, that in all the cases I saw in my search (which admittedly was not exhaustive), none of it was mandatory and the parents can opt out, which frankly I would do with my children at that age. I don't have a problem with a curriculum being developed for children, but I agree it should not be required.

Thanks for pointing it out.

All good. 

In the search criteria I provided, many were mandatory with no opt out option. Some curriculum included discussing intercourse, which I believe was inaccurately dismissed earlier. And remember we are talking K-3. Personally, I think it's a bit much for K-3. And I think it is of important note the bill in Florida relates only to K-3. 

My pleasure.

1) WOKE IS PART AND PARCEL OF FALSE VIRTUE. 

2) The Horribly mis-named “Don’t Say Gay” bill just limits Age Inappropriate Sex Education to K-3 grades. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Well, I can see your confusion but my disdain is reserved for people and corporations that try to mold our children into a certain way of thinking before they are ready for that conversation.  You, as usual, do not understand the nuance of my argument.   I have been clear that I really don’t care if you are of the age of consent with people that are Trans.

The issue I have with the LBGTQ1@@##^^% is they are a coalition hell bent on increasing their *membership* and using our younger generation to meet their goal.  That organization is disingenuous by using bullying the masses that don’t believe in their movement by not speaking up against their view of the world.

Thank you for allowing me to explain.

You nailed it!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, auburn41 said:

Here is Elon Musk's definition of "Wokeness."................"At its heart, wokeness is divisive, exclusionary, and hateful. It basically gives mean people a shield to be mean and cruel, armored in false virtue."

Very good and true! Thank you for sharing.

13 hours ago, Leftfield said:

"Don't say gay" is pretty much an accurate description, considering the bill doesn't allow teachers to talk about, you know, being gay.

Believe it or not this is what is called *spin*, you asked about what spin and this is it.

13 hours ago, Leftfield said:

Ah! Whataboutism rears it's head! Wonderful!

No, the whataboutism reared it’s head when YOU brought up that most Americans didn’t want Blacks in their classrooms.  That statement had NOTHING to do with the conversation other than trying to say *yeah, but what about what happened in the 70’s.  I took the opportunity to bash our beloved Leader of the Free World.  Thanks

15 hours ago, PUB78 said:

No Homer. Woke or Wokeness has become an insult and slur, an embarrassment for liberals. People are pushing back hard and you will see major upheaval in November. 
Get ready for it.

Well, I am certainly not embarrassed by it.  Just the opposite, I'm proud to oppose racism, misogyny and xenophobia.

I don't understand how one turns opposition to such things into a "slur".  It's basically admitting that "woke" people have gone too far in recognizing the racism, misogyny and xenophobia in our country. How can that be?

Republicans have "jumped the shark" in their political goals.  Using the state to pass laws to threaten companies who are responding to their "woke" employees and customer (Disney), supporting Putin and Russia for no apparent reason other than he's an authoritarian who promotes a war on democracy.  They are even promoting book bans:

"A new report from the American Library Association (ALA) found 729 challenges to library materials in 2021, the highest number in the 20 years the ALA has tracked the issue. Most targeted were books about various minority groups, the organization writes.....

.....Many of these banning efforts are happening in states controlled by Republicans, and those state legislatures won’t function as a clearing house for airing the national debate we need. In many places — Iowa, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas among them — the banning efforts originate in the state legislatures themselves."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/04/jamie-raskin-gop-book-bans/

This is certainly not "conservatism".  It's the politics of fear and grievance.  It goes against everything a democracy should represent.

You may be right regarding Republicans taking control 2020 and 2024.  In some ways I almost hope they do.  IMO, this country is experiencing a crisis, thanks to extremists that have hi-jacked the Republican party.  And using "woke" as a slur is a perfect example of who they are - selfish and afraid haters.

So let them take over.  Drive our country to such policy extremes there will ultimately be a backlash of voters who are horrified by what has become of the Republican party.  And that backlash will include real conservatives, conservatives who are horrified what MAGAs are trying to do with our government, and thus our country.  We may have to hit the bottom before we recover.

This is not the first time in our history we have experienced political activities that are antithetical to our values.

But ultimately, I have faith in our countries historical trajectory of freedom and decency.

If I am wrong, then it's good bye America and everything it once stood for.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

No, taxes will not be weaponized and you know that. Florida and Disney will continue and be fine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurkee/2022/04/01/florida-gov-desantis-wants-to-punish-disney-but-wont-go-after-its-corporate-tax-breaks/?sh=6facc7d94745

DeSantis said that while he’s in favor of the state taking away privileges that are unique to Disney, those tax breaks are ones “that any business would be eligible for,” and insisted there are “no special tax breaks that are Disney-specific that we would contemplate” taking away.

Probably not, since Disney contributes large amounts of money to Republicans.

DeSantis is cynically using rhetoric against Disney to fan the flames of the culture war.  As I have posted, this is a time-honored practice in this country.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/04/ron-desantis-disney-dont-say-gay-bill/

...."Disney came out against the “Don’t Say Gay” bill after facing intense internal pressure from employees. Disney argued that it “could be used to unfairly target” LGBT kids and families.

That’s a perfectly reasonable fear. The law outlaws “instruction” in “sexual orientation or gender identity” that is not “age-appropriate.” Legal experts note that such vague wording could allow conservative parents to claim violations in many typical situations, such as a teacher mentioning gay families, or a kid discussing her gay parents, or a teacher helping a transgender student seek counseling.

Regardless, DeSantis has gone on the attack. He’s raising money off Disney’s opposition, labeling it “radical.” And he recently suggested that he might target Disney’s “special privileges” in the state.

That’s repulsive stuff. Even some Republicans have noted that Disney is simply exercising its right to weigh in on a public issue, one that matters deeply to many customers and employees, and shouldn’t face the threat of state retaliation for doing so.

Regardless, under questioning from reporters, DeSantis then clarified he is not targeting Disney’s enormously lucrative tax breaks, one of which totals in the hundreds of millions of dollars to encourage Disney to move more than 2,000 employees to Florida from California. DeSantis justified this by claiming all companies are treated equally by such tax incentives.".....

==================================================

The greater point is DeSantis's is threatening to use the power of the state to punish companies who don't fall in line with his message of fear and hate.  It's political pandering regardless if he actually follows through. 

He's obviously trying to portray himself as being a "hero" in the culture war who will get things done.  In fact he is simply revealing himself as just another slimeball.  It's a winning tactic if your targeted audience is MAGAs.

The fact he is doing this to position himself to run for POTUS on the Republican ticket just shows how low Republicans have fallen from true conservatism.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

Believe it or not this is what is called *spin*, you asked about what spin and this is it.

Call it "spin" if you like but it's not false.  "Don't say gay" is a shorthand meme that happens to be fact-based:

"Disney came out against the “Don’t Say Gay” bill after facing intense internal pressure from employees. Disney argued that it “could be used to unfairly target” LGBT kids and families.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Probably not, since Disney contributes large amounts of money to Republicans.

DeSantis is cynically using rhetoric against Disney to fan the flames of the culture war.  As I have posted, this is a time-honored practice in this country.

No probably to it. 

18 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is North Carolina’s law about teaching Sex Education.  They do not abide by the National Sex Education Standard.

§ 115C-81.30. Reproductive health and safety education provided by local school administrative units.

in part:

Teach that abstinence from sexual activity is the only certain means of avoiding out-of-wedlock pregnancy, sexually transmitted diseases when transmitted through sexual contact, including HIV/AIDS, and other associated health and emotional problems. As used in this section, "HIV/AIDS" means Human Immunodeficiency Virus/Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome.

The little buggers do learn at school about absenting from sexual activity and STDs

Unlike these states:

LGBTQ-inclusive sex education is required in California, Colorado, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington and the District of Columbia.May 26, 2021

This is a hot issue right now especially with parents.

I seriously doubt California, Colorado, New Jersey, Oregon, Rhode Island, Washington  and District of Columbia forbid instruction on abstinence. :rolleyes:

Since you're apparently expert on what these state laws address, please demonstrate where they do that.

Edited by homersapien

16 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No probably to it. 

My point is why did DeSantis bring it up if it was a non-starter?

Either he thought he could do it and had to crawfish when he met resistance or,

He was being cynical by falsely representing his ability to do it.

Edited by homersapien

50 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, I am certainly not embarrassed by it.  Just the opposite, I'm proud to oppose racism, misogyny and xenophobia.

I don't understand how one turns opposition to such things into a "slur".  It's basically admitting that "woke" people have gone too far in recognizing the racism, misogyny and xenophobia in our country. How can that be?

Republicans have "jumped the shark" in their political goals.  Using the state to pass laws to threaten companies who are responding to their "woke" employees and customer (Disney), supporting Putin and Russia for no apparent reason other than he's an authoritarian who promotes a war on democracy.  They are even promoting book bans:

"A new report from the American Library Association (ALA) found 729 challenges to library materials in 2021, the highest number in the 20 years the ALA has tracked the issue. Most targeted were books about various minority groups, the organization writes.....

.....Many of these banning efforts are happening in states controlled by Republicans, and those state legislatures won’t function as a clearing house for airing the national debate we need. In many places — Iowa, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Texas among them — the banning efforts originate in the state legislatures themselves."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/04/04/jamie-raskin-gop-book-bans/

This is certainly not "conservatism".  It's the politics of fear and grievance.  It goes against everything a democracy should represent.

You may be right regarding Republicans taking control 2020 and 2024.  In some ways I almost hope they do.  IMO, this country is experiencing crisis, thanks to extremists that have hi-jacked the Republican party.  And using "woke" as a slur is a perfect example of who they are - selfish and afraid haters.

So let them take over.  Drive our country to such policy extremes there will ultimately be a backlash of voters who are horrified by what has become of the Republican party.  And that backlash will include real conservatives, conservatives who are horrified what MAGAs are trying to do with our government, and thus our country.  We may have to hit the bottom before we recover.

This is not the first time in our history we have experienced political activities that are antithetical to our values.

But ultimately, I have faith in our countries historical trajectory of freedom and decency.

If I am wrong, then it's good bye America and everything it once stood for.

Going too far is making a skinny white guy who has no slave owning relatives in his family past pay reparations to a militant black dude who has no slaves anywhere in his family past also.  And do you think that will “end” the problem of racism? Not likely. 

Some published material has no business being in a school library. The vast majority of parents do not want their children of any age to have to read some weirdos perverted fantasies about sex with whatever they “identify” with, trannies, pedophiles, gays, lesbians,  and forcing all that perversion down their throats as if it is somehow “normal”.

Thank God for Ron DeSantis. We like him here in Florida. It is not surprising you and you fellow leftists don’t like him. He stands up for what is right and fights against perversion that destroys civilization by amoral unnatural evil.

• Like 2