1983 Alabama Game Flashback

StatTiger

That was the first AU victory over uat I could ever remember being upset about. AU was so much better, but still had that uat "aura" bothering them, I guess. Should have beat them by 24 or so. Loved that defense. 

Edit....should have written  'slightly upset'. 😄

Edited by JuscAUse!

We were there...I remember they forced everyone to level because of the weather (tornado threat in the area) in the second half...

I was at the game. The tornado sirens were going off and no one in my section ever moved. I had a seat right next to the steps and water was cascading down like a waterfall 

9 top 20 teams Auburn defeated that season. 1983 National Champions in my book. Miami couldn't hold our jockstrap. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

The thread is about ‘83…….stay on topic please.

I'll do ya one better. I'll bow out of the topic completely.

Last game I watch with my older brother in Boca Gran, Fl we  had a great time drinking beer going to the beach eating all the seafood we wanted. Lots of great memories....

Then he died on my birthday the following year.

18 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Last game I watch with my older brother in Boca Gran, Fl we  had a great time drinking beer going to the beach eating all the seafood we wanted. Lots of great memories....

Then he died on my birthday the following year.

Great last game/weekend memory and sorry for your loss.
Hard to believe almost 40 years ago. Rarely a game I missed in the 80’s if in driving distance. 

• Love 1

I was there- really a surreal feeling to the game. They asked the bands to go under the stands and the cheerleaders to turn off their microphones. But the fans just stayed put with the sirens going off and thunder and lightning while the teams played on! I can still remember looking up and seeing the light pole swaying. I was young and stupid- it never occurred to me to leave. 🤣

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dshep4au said:

I was there- really a surreal feeling to the game. They asked the bands to go under the stands and the cheerleaders to turn off their microphones. But the fans just stayed put with the sirens going off and thunder and lightning while the teams played on! I can still remember looking up and seeing the light pole swaying. I was young and stupid- it never occurred to me to leave. 🤣

The weather that day was nothing typical of fall in the south. More late spring early summer. Recall it being terribly humid and unstable feeling first half. Game would have taken forever given todays lightening delay rule. 

Guess lightening was not dangerous back in the 80’s.

On 6/23/2022 at 6:50 PM, StatTiger said:

Thanks for the memory! New York Times computer poll ranked the 1983 Auburn Tigers number one in the country!  So, why doesn’t the Athletic Dept.  claim it?

• 2 weeks later...

That was some storm...I remember watching it roll in...no one near us budged.  I had forgotten the Agee fumble to give them another chance...remember those two long runs by Bo like it was yesterday.  No one reversed field like that back in those days.  Good memories...

• Like 1