Jake Crain bringing the heat

RunInRed

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

I was willing to give a couple years to prove it, he did Saturday. The timeline has shifted for me.

Jake is right though, both can be true at the same time. Unfortunately, many only realize the 2nd part without recognizing that the first had a huge impact on the 2nd

Totally agree.  I feel bad for our guys. I’m not sure if the O-line is playing to the best of their abilities or if they are just poorly coached or if it is just the scheme, but it’s not working.  Or if all is true.  But I will back the team until they quit trying.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Totally agree.  I feel bad for our guys. I’m not sure if the O-line is playing to the best of their abilities or if they are just poorly coached or if it is just the scheme, but it’s not working.  Or if all is true.  But I will back the team until they quit trying.  

I’m really disappointed in the old heads of the team. Brandon Council is like 43 years old. Like, what are you doing fighting with people during the game? Attitude reflects leadership and Auburns leaders need to tighten tf up!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

And that's how it should be. 

The instant and intense hatred for CBH after his announcement was strange. Too many got their lenses muddied in February and couldn't find their way back from the loud and unfounded rumors.  Many just doubled down on their hypocritical disdain in an attempt to save face. 

Those that were willing to show patience were criticized regularly. I do believe though that the majority of those lost their patience this last Saturday too.  I did. It was wholly embarrassing and we need to now pivot.

There is so much chest-pounding it’s nauseating. Like, congratulations for being right, but not giving the man time and having your mind made up from the beginning doesn’t make you appear more intelligent or insightful; it’s the opposite in fact. (The only person that gets a pass in my mind is @passthebiscuits. He’s connected and never wavered.) People like me that wanted to give him time were waiting for that moment when we could confidently say he will work or he won’t. We did that for Gus, and we did it for Harsin. We all got that moment on Saturday. Harsin’s got to go, and I say before the bye-week. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

I was willing to give him time to adapt and change and hopefully become more personal. He cant recruit. We are dead last in SEC. After the three games I've seen I through. Hes not willing to be part of an SEC team. He needs to be gone and Auburn find someone who can recruit, hire assistant coaches and identify  with the SEC. Sooner than later for me.

5 minutes ago, alabastertiger said:

Would we fire Harsin before we hire an AD?

Nobody wants to, but I believe are prepared to.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’m really disappointed in the old heads of the team. Brandon Council is like 43 years old. Like, what are you doing fighting with people during the game? Attitude reflects leadership and Auburns leaders need to tighten tf up!

To go further on this, after he got called for the penalty they had the camera on him and he was doing a mocking crying face. Like dude you just ruined a great run by Finley, lost those yards, and kept us from having any shot of scoring to end the half.

And then Harsin just puts his ass back in after the half. If that doesn't tell you all need to know about Harsin and his "discipline" I don't know what else would. You can't preach it over and over and over again just to ignore it when something like that happens. The OL is garbage, no way Council should have been put back in the game unless he was actually doing a good job at what he's supposed to do ... block and protect the QB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I mean, that’s kind of implied in the conversation man. But I made that distinction specifically, anyway. 

Fair enough .

my bad 

43 minutes ago, metafour said:

LOL.

Imagine had Harsin had to have dealt with Tennessee's mess, like Heupel did. This guy inherited a capable SEC QB (Nix), a star RB (Tank), and a good defense. Tennessee lost nearly half their roster to the portal and all of their best players left; on top of the fact that they were much worse than Auburn to begin with.

I'm tired of hearing how Harsin apparently walked into a no-win situation. He created or exasperated all of his problems himself and didn't fix any of the problems that he inherited. Any coach who is brought in to replace someone who was fired is going to need to fix SOMETHING, so even suggesting that Harsin was limited because he inherited a poor OL is lame as s***. With massive resources, he doubled down on hiring his buddy-coaches from the MWC - and they all look hopelessly inept.

I don't think it's a given at all that he will be successful elsewhere. So far we've seen that he's capable of winning at a pre-built program where everything was left well oiled and tidy for him, and he already knew everything that needed to be known because his entire resume was spent coaching at that school. Where else is he going to get that same picture-perfect scenario? He's failed miserably at Auburn in a rebuild type scenario and he'll need to do that at 99% of the places that he'll need to go next. Good luck to him, maybe he's learned something here that will help him. Unfortunately for him, his comments and continual mentions about "the coup" suggest that he's probably just going to leave AU under the premise that he did nothing wrong and he just got treated unfairly here.

You think I am going to read all of this ? Hahaha nope. Half of this probably doesn’t even apply to what I posted. 

1 hour ago, Tmoney56 said:

TJ looked like the QB that we mauled in JHS two years ago. Same player, same results, with two years to get better. Didn't happen.

So I have to disagree. Anyone saying TJ does not look any better. I completely disagree. He has most definitely improved. I think the issue is he had a LONG way to go before he was ready to be a starter in this league (if ever) and yet CBH thinks he is the best option we have. That is where the problem lies.

He has improved on his accuracy. He has improved on his Pocket awareness. He has been much better at stepping up into the pocket as opposed to last year just being a statue. He still makes some bone headed throws sometimes that lead to turnovers. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

To piggyback off my last statement, I don’t think it’s correct to call CBH “lazy” or anything of the sort. I am sure the guy works hard and puts in much more than a 40 hour week.

It’s more that this job in this conference requires your entire waking life. Kirby Smart recently said his life was so miserably imbalanced he almost just quit the UGA gig. It’s not healthy. I wish it didn’t require what it does require. 

But that isn’t reality. I think that’s the brick wall CBH ran into. He didn’t realize this job would require relentless 24 hour competition.

I agree with that . Everything was a probably little too easy at boise state and he thought he could walk in here and have the same output. Hell no bro. Not in the SEC 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Also, does anyone know if he's taking a shot at the War Rapport when he talks about "Cool you have your podcast" or is that someone else?

He is talking about Coach's podcast I believe.

I feel sorry for CBH. He has had a difficult job and put his heart and soul into this team.  I have supported him and still do, but without all the Gus bashing on this forum. I'm just afraid if (heaven forbid) we lose on Saturday, he may lose fan support and even worse, the team. No pressure😉 but Mizzou game is huge. We must come out with guns blazing and flip the script with turnover battle.  WDE!!

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 2

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

So I have to disagree. Anyone saying TJ does not look any better. I completely disagree. He has most definitely improved. I think the issue is he had a LONG way to go before he was ready to be a starter in this league (if ever) and yet CBH thinks he is the best option we have. That is where the problem lies.

He has improved on his accuracy. He has improved on his Pocket awareness. He has been much better at stepping up into the pocket as opposed to last year just being a statue. He still makes some bone headed throws sometimes that lead to turnovers. 

And another thing is that part of his 2nd half where he went out, he was CLEARLY hurt and still trying to play behind a peacemeal OL. 

I don't think people realize though, how hard it is to throw the ball accurately while your feet are in the air or not set. In football, one of the basic mechanical tenets of throwing is that your feet must both be pointing at your target. When you're running on the move or have a half a second to set your feet because you have to move out of the pocket to get a throw off, there's no guarantee. Also if you're running, the rotational power from your hips to drive the ball to the spot (assuming you're throwing to a spot) isn't there at all.

This is what TJ basically was doing ALL night. You'll look entirely different from playing that way and playing in a clean pocket with time to aim. And don't get me started on the inexeplicable times of when TJ gets a rhythm.

I'm not saying he's a great QB, but he has had an unfair assessment throughout the time and given <50% of the benefit of the doubt Bo got.

Also one of his INTs was while trying to throw the ball out of bounds and getting hit from behind. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, autan said:

I feel sorry for CBH. He has had a difficult job and put his heart and soul into this team.  I have supported him and still do, but without all the Gus bashing on this forum. I'm just afraid if (heaven forbid) we lose on Saturday, he may lose fan support and even worse, the team. No pressure😉 but Mizzou game is huge. We must come out with guns blazing and flip the script with turnover battle.  WDE!!

Time to go. Hurting Auburn as long as he stays.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

And another thing is that part of his 2nd half where he went out, he was CLEARLY hurt and still trying to play behind a peacemeal OL. 

I don't think people realize though, how hard it is to throw the ball accurately while your feet are in the air or not set. In football, one of the basic mechanical tenets of throwing is that your feet must both be pointing at your target. When you're running on the move or have a half a second to set your feet because you have to move out of the pocket to get a throw off, there's no guarantee. Also if you're running, the rotational power from your hips to drive the ball to the spot (assuming you're throwing to a spot) isn't there at all.

This is what TJ basically was doing ALL night. You'll look entirely different from playing that way and playing in a clean pocket with time to aim. And don't get me started on the inexeplicable times of when TJ gets a rhythm.

I'm not saying he's a great QB, but he has had an unfair assessment throughout the time and given <50% of the benefit of the doubt Bo got.

Also one of his INTs was while trying to throw the ball out of bounds and getting hit from behind. 

And wouldn’t have counted if the staff was paying attention to the game clock and challenged it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Angry 1

55 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Here is a theory that I kind of put together for about a year now but have been hesitant to ever say it because I don't want it to be misconstrued in any way.

I think we knew we were in for trouble on the recruiting with the type of players that were transferring out and the personality Harsin is known for.  A lot of these kids come from backgrounds that do not have father figures and sometimes mother figures in their lives and they are looking for coaches to help fill these voids to help them grow into men.  This is one area I hope we can all agree on that the Malzahn's excelled at.  Kristi really went out of her way to be a mother to a lot of these kids and Gus did the same by having players over for dinner weekly.  That really isn't Harsin's strongpoint, and he doesn't want it to be.  So, a lot of those types of players transferred out and many followed Gus to UCF.  I have noticed a lot of the players who like Harsin have really good family situations at home so they didn't need that father figure.  If you aren't willing to cater to all kinds of backgrounds, you really limit your pool of kids who are willing to look at your program.  I am not saying you need to open up your home, but surround yourself with staff who can help these guys with problems they may have back home, with girlfriends, etc.

I would have to go back and look at the numbers again but I believe when I did the math earlier this year Auburn has had over 40 players transfer out since Harsin took the job, which leads the country in players transferring out within the same timeframe of other programs with new coaches.  That should have told us that the personality of Harsin might simply not be a great fit here.  Not that he is a bad person, just not a great fit.  Arizona State might be that perfect fit, I have no idea.

You get on my nerves but this is a spot on post and great for you to recognize culture. Too many people pick extremes on both sides. Yes smoke Monday has is point but also the other guys have their point too. I think the bigger picture and what he self evaluated too late is you have to be adaptive to the people you want in your program.

You can’t be a hard ass , type A all the time. Look at NS, KS , etc. They know how to interact with each player. Not everyone needs tough love and vice versa some people do need tough love. I believe our Defensive line coach made a reference to this as well. 

I also do think culture matters a lot more than I thought it would be initially. This is a major reason why I think CBH could be successful at a place like ASU. Hell, it took me multiple years before I got accustomed to Midwest culture . Now I am slightly a fish out of water when I return down south. I believe we are often way too critical of these things without understanding. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I disagree. 1 TD, 4 picks in 53 attempts. Maybe a little regression. At LSU in 5 games he only had 5 picks and 5 TD's. He's no better, and looks worse to me. He's Jeremy Johnson level bad, no matter how much our DIII coach talks him up.

• Facepalm 2

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

You get on my nerves but this is a spot on post and great for you to recognize culture.

Are you saying I am finally wearing you down will my boyish good looks and intoxicating personality?

200w.gif.d7c6b6e2947f9dec775b9d3ddd600f58.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Are you saying I am finally wearing you down will my boyish good looks and intoxicating personality?

200w.gif.d7c6b6e2947f9dec775b9d3ddd600f58.gif

Maybe slightly . Bad pic though . Gives me too much Aaron Rodgers vibes. 

Edited by DAG
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, cbo said:

And wouldn’t have counted if the staff was paying attention to the game clock and challenged it. 

All these staff hirings. I wonder who is responsible for being the eyes and ears for the coach in cases like that

• Like 1