Caddy for coach?

SaturdayGT

10 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Like everyone, I see the candy...not sure of the meat of it. ...I get inexperience....but didn't Dabo do the same path?

Dabo had alot more experience as an asst. coach if I recall. Cadillac only got into coaching in 2015 and that was high school ball. His college experience is the few years he has been at Auburn as RB coach.

I feel if Caddy gets the HC job permanently, it will be a decision based purely on emotions. I would love to have Caddy be HC here in the future but now isn't the time.

• Thanks 1

No no the narrative right now is that if you want caddy you are just "being emotional".

Let auburn social media's team milk this story for a few more weeks about "how dreams come true" before he is shown the door by an incoming experienced staff.

Sarcasm aside, show me what assistants are willing to step in and coach alongside and I could easily get onboard depending on who they are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

...what are he qualifications or prerequisites to be a coach? ...caddy checks a lot of boxes I think....I guess its  the "chess match" aspect is all?....I dont know...im really excited with this guy!!

32 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Like everyone, I see the candy...not sure of the meat of it. ...I get inexperience....but didn't Dabo do the same path?

There's lots of support and positive momentum behind Caddy right now but Auburn hasn't hired a head football coach w/o previous head football coaching experience since Ralph Shug Jordan. So it's unlikely but hey - Caddy could get a chance to stay on at Auburn or even jump up to something like HC at Nebraska and just run it like the old days. Regardless, something good is coming; I'm sure of it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

...what are he qualifications or prerequisites to be a coach? ...caddy checks a lot of boxes I think....I guess its  the "chess match" aspect is all?....I dont know...im really excited with this guy!!

Biggest negative would be experience 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Systems said:

There's lots of support and positive momentum behind Caddy right now but Auburn hasn't hired a head football coach w/o previous head football coaching experience since Ralph Shug Jordan. So it's unlikely but hey - Caddy could get a chance to stay on at Auburn or even jump up to something like HC at Nebraska and just run it like the old days. Regardless, something good is coming; I'm sure of it. 

..I could be wrong...Caddy seems to have his heart here...I could see him taking a lesser position if a new coach comes in..

2 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Biggest negative would be experience 

He's doing pretty good now!!.  Experience as far as strategy might be a thing....hard to tell as of yet......its the same kinda situation with Deon Sanders though...

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, Systems said:

Well....Harsin had experience as a head coach so it's not always a recipe for success. Freeze is a failure as a role model and trustworthy human being......like Petrino. Houston Nutt? Dan Mullen? Will Muschamp? 

Caddy has experience in ways that others don't.....and he understands these players. He might be a good choice. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

Well....Harsin had experience as a head coach so it's not always a recipe for success. Freeze is a failure as a role model and trustworthy human being......like Petrino. Houston Nutt? Dan Mullen? Will Muschamp? 

Caddy has experience in ways that others don't.....and he understands these players. He might be a good choice. 

Caddy won't even get a legitimate interview for HC. Just let him be all he can be for now and move on after the next few weeks. 

Edited by Systems

1 minute ago, SaturdayGT said:

..the pre half time interview with caddy kinda made him feel more position coach rather than head coach......still giving him a chance!!

Same feeling here - he's a fine coach, just not a head coach yet.

4 minutes ago, Systems said:

Caddy won't even get a legitimate interview for HC. Just let him be all he can be for now and move on after the next few weeks. 

You know this how? 

I never said he would...but he would not be a bad choice. He's doing so much with so little, and  that's evidence of coaching talent.

This is why sometimes Auburn and other schools get disappointed so many times, and it's how the Harsins and Golloways of the college sports world get hired. 

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

You know this how? 

I never said he would...but he would not be a bad choice. He's doing so much with so little, and  that's evidence of coaching talent.

This is why sometimes Auburn and other schools get disappointed so many times, and it's how the Harsins and Golloways of the college sports world get hired. 

@Tigerbelle Leave me alone - go bother someone else. 

Edited by Systems
  • Haha 1

As long as we're dreaming: Deion Sanders for HC, Damiune Craig for OC, Caddy Williams for RB Coach, etc. 

• Haha 1

Cadillac is a good story and a good person, but no, he shouldn't be seriously considered for the full time job. Being a head coach is a lot more than just being a motivator and doing good game planning. You have to be a "manager" of a big organization. you have to manage a hundred players, you have to vet and hire dozens of assistants that will fit your system, program, and personality. You have to be able to analyze talent and recruit like a madman. All that and more. 

Is that Cadillac? I don't know....nobody can know because he's never done it...he's barely been  coaching in the college ranks at all at any level. He's got 4 years of college position coaching experience. At least Smart had been a full on coordinator  for 8 years in a major program. 

the SEC is about to expand...NIL is taking off...AU is already behind the ball in a lot of areas and we have to get this hire right and we have to hire someone who we are reasonably sure has the whole package. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1