AU v. FL post-game thread

TexasTiger

Playing Mosely was obviously a good move but we still need to grow a much better offense. If all we're going to do on 1st down is give it to Dyer up the middle we'll always be looking at 2nd and 8 at best.

Mosley seemed more confident but the real issue with our offense is the young OL. The RB's are just not getting decent holes at least half the plays.

This was a really big win for us! With the loss last week and a really tough game against LSU next week, we really needed it.

Both teams struggled, but we pulled through. Mosely looked decent and the D has looked so much better the last three weeks than it did at the beginning of the season. I think we are still on pace for a decent season this year and then to make some real noise next year!

Clint was 4-6 in the 3rd quarter for 90 yards. Nice to see. Although I have highly doubted Gus's play calling this year (we must run 99% of the time on 1st down) a quarterback at some point needs to step in and complete passes. It's that simple.

Our defense looked great. They continue to grow with each game and play with a chip on their shoulder. Scary thought we get these guys back next year.

WDE :au:

The defense played a great game. I am glad Mosely got in the game at least when he had incompletions, there was a receiver in the area and you knew where he was throwing it. Can we please try and throw the ball on first down next week.. PLEASE. Great Game. WDE

Will Clint get the start next week?

Second question, if he can prove more effective in the passing game, does it open things up for Dyer?

Yes and yes. At least in my opinion, which doesn't count.

Mosley seemed more confident but the real issue with our offense is the young OL. The RB's are just not getting decent holes at least half the plays.

You cant run the ball when you make zero attempt to pass in this offense when you have a QB that isn't a running threat. The problem is the complete lack of faith in either Mosley/Trotter; our runs are telegraphed and very predictable, and teams will scheme to stop the run until we can open up the passing game. Is it a surprise that the RBs look better when Frazier is playing option football? The line isn't blocking "better", what happens is that the defense also has to respect Frazier keeping the ball.

Thought Chizik was spent listening to the post game interview. This game was big, 2/3 in October when everyone had written the Tigers off. Hopefully CM will improve at QB with experience. How many of us would believe 5-2 after the Utah State game, win two SEC games with less than 20 points. Keep coaching, keep playing, never loose faith.

It was a great week to be an Auburn Tiger. Give thanks tomorrow that your momma and daddy cared more about their family than anything else. I'm going to recelebrate the 2010 NC tonite.

Little Doc

PS Purple shirts and yellow britches, ........................!

Florida can not beat us! They're record is now 8-27 in Jordan-Hare. Auburn ALWAYS steps it up against Florida! WAR EAGLE!!

You cant run the ball when you make zero attempt to pass in this offense when you have a QB that isn't a running threat. The problem is the complete lack of faith in either Mosley/Trotter; our runs are telegraphed and very predictable, and teams will scheme to stop the run until we can open up the passing game. Is it a surprise that the RBs look better when Frazier is playing option football? The line isn't blocking "better", what happens is that the defense also has to respect Frazier keeping the ball.

Yup, and the passing game does the same thing to open it up. DBs are not going to come up as hard for run support if there is that passing threat, add the run threat from the QB, then the LBs have to respect the option plays as the QB running. It makes our offense much, much more effective and potent to have that threat at the QB to run.

Lack of decent holes can probably partially be attributed to the one-dimensional aspect of our offense. Some passing will get some of these guys out of the box.

That was about as ugly as it gets, but a win is a win. The muffed punts by the FL returners were the key to the game. I think Gus was calling a really conservative game because the coaching staff knew FL was going to have trouble moving the ball. Mosely at least looks a little confident back there while Trotter has clearly lost his confidence and I don't see much use in putting him back on the field. Frazier continues to look good running the ball and when he gets confident in his passing he is going to bring a whole new dimension to the offense.

Defense is looking better but FL was very limited with their QB out. It will be interesting to see how they look againist LSU next week.

Second question, if he can prove more effective in the passing game, does it open things up for Dyer?

I'm sure he'll start next week.

The answer to your second question is kinda obvious... The answer is yes. That holds true for any of the 120 teams in college football.

Yup, and the passing game does the same thing to open it up. DBs are not going to come up as hard for run support if there is that passing threat, add the run threat from the QB, then the LBs have to respect the option plays as the QB running. It makes our offense much, much more effective and potent to have that threat at the QB to run.

The offense doesn't absolutely need a running quarterback...its just that without one the passing game has to be really good in order to open up the run game. What we're seeing is shotty QB play and because of that, extremely "safe" playcalling. Then we get into 3rd and long and you're asking a shaky, non-confident QB to make a play when the defense knows you have to pass.

Against teams like Florida who we can actually stop defensively (because of their also terrible QB situation) this can lead to wins; but we'll need to actually try to open things up against good teams or else we'll get smoked. If you try this pass-as-a-last-resort gameplay against LSU or Alabama we'll get killed.

The answer to your second question is kinda obvious... The answer is yes. That holds true for any of the 120 teams in college football.

Yeah but even when you guys have had bad games at QB, it's seemed like you've racked up the rushing yards/tds anyway.

Yeah but even when you guys have had bad games at QB, it's seemed like you've racked up the rushing yards/tds anyway.

That may be so, but if that's virtually all you do then you're going to have a lot of rushing yards...at least if you've got a couple of goor RDs. It's because you're devoting all your offensive plays to that.

Auburn had a lot of rushing yards last week against Qrk but got creamed anyway, which is the final test of how well things are going as you said.

After watching this game I was reminded why i hate Florida so much. If we eventually move to the east this rivalry will be as big as it once was. Oh and Mushmouth Muschamp is a perfect fit for the GAYtors.

Archived