Mike Blakely

RunInRed

Bryan Matthews has a recap of his A-Day visit posted...

Big-time RB visits AU

blakely1+410.jpg

Mike Blakely didn’t know a whole lot about Auburn when he arrived for a visit Thursday evening.

Three days later, he knew plenty.

“It was great. I had a lot of fun. It was the real deal,” the Bradenton (Fla.) Manatee standout running back said of his visit.

“I could see myself at a lot of schools but since I’ve been up here, I can really see myself at Auburn. It’s just so loving.”

The 5-foot-9, 194-pound Blakely got the usual tours of AU’s campus and athletic facilities. He saw a practice Friday and the A-Day Saturday. But it was just spending time with the AU coaching staff that stood out the most to Blakely.

“I would just wake up, go to the coaches’ office and spend time with all of them,” Blakely said. “It’s like a family up there.”

Blakely spent most of the time with his recruiting coach, Jay Boulware, and running backs coach Curtis Luper.

“(Coach Luper) told me the things he likes about me,” Blakely said. “He likes how I can cut. I’m good going to the left. He told me some of the things I’m real strong with like my vision, I can see everything.

“They tried to sign two running backs this year but I guess they could only get one so they’re trying to sign two next year.”

Read more...

177268.jpg

Mike Blakely, RB

Bradenton, Florida

5'9 / 194

Offers: Auburn, Clemson, Florida, Iowa, Iowa State, Miami (Fl.), Michigan, Minnesota, North Carolina, Purdue, Rutgers, South Carolina and South Florida, among others.

• 5 weeks later...

FYI - Blakely recently told Clemson's Rivals site that AU is his leader...

http://clemson.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1085571 (premium content)

Excellent!

“(Coach Luper) told me the things he likes about me,” Blakely said. “He likes how I can cut. I’m good going to the left. He told me some of the things I’m real strong with like my vision, I can see everything.

Blakely looks good going to the right, too. Nice hands and is already running from the wildcat.

I might be in a minority, but I see recruiting a top RB and top QB as critical for Auburn this year. Blakely certainly would fill the RB part of that need.

C'mon down, Mike Blakely!

Dang. Don't care for that ugly-azz color of his HS uniform but I like the way he cuts, too(!) Need to get him in orange & blue because he'd fit right in running Malzahn's offense.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Auburn is looking good right now, but if Florida swings and misses on Bellamy and puts the heat on Blakely, never count the Gators out. Blakely really likes Florida.

• 2 weeks later...

Like I said. Florida missed on Bellamy. Blakely names UF his leader.

1. Florida

2. Auburn

3. South Carolina

This all according to JC Shurburtt on his Twitter page.

1. Florida

2. Auburn

3. South Carolina

It's June, long ways to go...

1. Florida

2. Auburn

3. South Carolina

Actually, Blakely will pass by Gainesville on his way back from South Carolina and commit to the Gators.

1. Florida

2. Auburn

3. South Carolina

Actually, Blakely will pass by Gainesville on his way back from South Carolina and commit to the Gators.

Quite the prognostication...

I sort of smelled a rat when we started offering some new RB's and inviting previously unheard of RB prospects to campus. That's always a sign that something is fixin' to get messed up.

Well maybe not this weekend. He's down in Gainesville now for FNL. He said he'll visit UF again in the next week to month, but I expect him to commit then. He said he wants to be closer to home and that his family loves UF.

• 3 weeks later...

Rivals has a free update posted where Blakely denies a Florida offer has pushed them to the front. TIFWIW...

There's been much talk that home state school Florida has taken over the lead for Blakely recently, but he maintains that any lead Florida, or any other school has at the moment, is minimal.

"Not really," Blakely said about Florida. "They can be a leader, but Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina are so close to each other, it's hard to say."

While Blakely is having a hard time naming a true leader, he at least knows the three SEC schools that are atop his list right now.

"Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina are basically my schools," Blakely said. "All three are real high up there, all neck and neck."

Read more...

Rivals has a free update posted where Blakely denies a Florida offer has pushed them to the front. TIFWIW...

There's been much talk that home state school Florida has taken over the lead for Blakely recently, but he maintains that any lead Florida, or any other school has at the moment, is minimal.

"Not really," Blakely said about Florida. "They can be a leader, but Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina are so close to each other, it's hard to say."

While Blakely is having a hard time naming a true leader, he at least knows the three SEC schools that are atop his list right now.

"Auburn, Florida, and South Carolina are basically my schools," Blakely said. "All three are real high up there, all neck and neck."

Read more...

That's better!

• 3 weeks later...
Just talked to Four-star RB Mike Blakely. Had a great time at AU camp, already has official set for Auburn-S. Caro. game. Still AU, UF, SC.

http://twitter.com/jhokanson

Should be a no brainer after he sees Auburn dismantle the Gamecocks.

• 5 weeks later...

This coming Friday, the 2010 ESPN Rise High School Football Kick Off - Plant(FL) vs. Manatee (FL) will be on at 7:00 EDT. Get a chance to watch Mike do his thing live. :big:

This was also released today as well.

Four-star running back Mike Blakely (Bradenton, Fla./Manatee), the nation's No. 8 running back and No. 117 in the ESPNU 150, has many offers, but has decided his first official visit will be to Auburn when it hosts South Carolina.

"Auburn is a great school. I have been up there a few times and I had fun on my visits," Blakely said. "I also will be visiting Florida and South Carolina. Those are my three favorite schools. I want to see USC but I just don't right now. I want to pick a place where I will feel good at, somewhere I feel comfortable."

My link

:cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

This is an AU/UF race with Florida holding a slight lead. Let's see if we can make a run at Blakely down the stretch...

This is an AU/UF race with Florida holding a slight lead. Let's see if we can make a run at Blakely down the stretch...

From everything I have read it looks to me like Mike is getting slowplayed by Florida. They appear to have someone ahead of him on their board and are holding off on taking RB commitments until they see where they stand. Wilder was one of those other back on their board and he fell to FSU last week. Blakely may fallin our laps if UF finds a back they like better. Hart may fall into our laps as well if Rich Rod's O doesnt impress this year or if he gets fired. I think Auburn would gladly accept either or both of their commitments right now if they wanted to make that leap.

From everything I have read it looks to me like Mike is getting slowplayed by Florida. They appear to have someone ahead of him on their board and are holding off on taking RB commitments until they see where they stand. Wilder was one of those other back on their board and he fell to FSU last week. Blakely may fallin our laps if UF finds a back they like better. Hart may fall into our laps as well if Rich Rod's O doesnt impress this year or if he gets fired. I think Auburn would gladly accept either or both of their commitments right now if they wanted to make that leap.

Well, Fla's first choice was Mike Bellamy, who committed to Clemson, but they're still going after him. They've always been going hard after Savon Huggins, who I think they'll get, but when Bellamy pledged to Clemson, Blakely became one of their main targets, and since Blakely grew up a fan of Fla that will make it that much harder for our staff to get him.

Now Wilder, I've read different things about him, but I saw a quote from his dad the yestserday and from what it sounds like, even though Fla publicly said they were recruiting him at RB, they were more interested for him to be a LB in private, while Fla St said they definitely wanted him at RB, which is what Wilder wants to play. I think the kid ends up at LB by his soph year, but it's a moot point if he stays at FSU, since that keeps another RB spot open at Fla. Fla wants to get Blakely and Huggins at this point.

Archived