Woman lost job for sporting Kerry sticker on car

Tiger Al

And you are welcome. Now give us the respect that we deserve for looking out after all of you.

I want to be the first to thank you for taking care of poor, little me and my chilluns. You're so big and strong, I don't know what I'd do without you and other heroes just like you.

Is Alabama a right to work state? If so, can't he fire her for whatever reason he wanted, other than race, religion, age, disability, national origin, equal pay, pregnancy, sex, or sexual harassment?

Doesn't it seem a little hypocritical at best for the guy to distribute his political agenda in the paycheck but not want her to put a sticker on her car? Are you so partisan that you can't even agree that that is pathetic behavior on his part? Is it OK for Jimmy Rane to root out all bammers in his business and fire the ones with UA stickers on their cars?

Doesn't it seem a little hypocritical at best for the guy to distribute his political agenda in the paycheck but not want her to put a sticker on her car? Are you so partisan that you can't even agree that that is pathetic behavior on his part?

You're buying this pretty quick, Al. It seems that one so quick to wave off the validity of the claim that the CBS documents were forged would take cautious steps before falling for a story like this.

Lets see:

Written by the Decatur FishWrap

Run by the biggest liberals in Alabama.

Owned by the NYT.

She could go to work for the Decatur Daily but I am told by their female ex-employees that they run off women workers to hire gay males for the son of guy running the place. I kid you not....

Lets see:

Written by the Decatur FishWrap

Run by the biggest liberals in Alabama.

Owned by the NYT.

She could go to work for the Decatur Daily but I am told by their female ex-employees that they run off women workers to hire gay males for the son of guy running the place. I kid you not....

:lol: Right on David! Here is something else that some of you might not have seen when this ran in the Decatur Daily, but I noticed it the day I read it. This story was on the front page on the same day that the news came out about the forged Bush NG documents, but that story was buried. Hmm...anybody else want to guess which political party the Decatur Daily leans toward?

(I wonder why our fascist leader would allow us to have assault weapons?)

Because he knows you can kill more Democrats and other societal untouchables a lot faster with an assault rifle.

Really? Prove it!

Can you really kill Democrats faster than Republicans?

I did not know that. :lol:

And you are ignorant of one of our most basic civil rights. There's a little passage in the Bill of Rights that covers this sort of thing. Of course, if she were bombing some country based on her unwavering principles you'd be singing her praises.

The little passage in the Bill of Rights that covers this "sort of thing" ... where is it? I see nothing in the BoR that prohibits an owner from firing an employee. Pretend I'm from Missouri and point it out to me.

Remember, this is a newspaper story essentially championing this poor unfortunate woman's claim that she was fired solely for exhibiting a Kerry/Edwards sticker on her car. By the story alone, we don't know for sure if her claim is true. She may have been fired for other reasons as well.

Doesn't it seem a little hypocritical at best for the guy to distribute his political agenda in the paycheck but not want her to put a sticker on her car? Are you so partisan that you can't even agree that that is pathetic behavior on his part?

You're buying this pretty quick, Al. It seems that one so quick to wave off the validity of the claim that the CBS documents were forged would take cautious steps before falling for a story like this.

I've neither waved nor fallen. I'm simply discussing the article.

As far as the Bush document is concerned, it isn't imperative for me to believe it. I already believe Bush got into the Guard on account of his priviledged status. It is much more important for you to disbelieve it because if it's true, then you are forced to reconcile that with the image you have of him, and, by extension, yourself.

Neither have I "fallen" for the story I've posted. You say that because she hasn't sued that proves the story is false. It's a liberal paper. Maybe the attorney she talked to said that it was not the right time for that yet. I don't know. Perhaps some of our barristers here could shed some light on what MIGHT be going on in a situation like this. Someone else said that it appears that she quit and wasn't really fired. That's quite an assumption since the article said, "The manager told her to go back to work, but he came back a few minutes later and said, " 'I reckon you're fired. You could either work for him or John Kerry.' " The story also said that Gaddis had not returned the newspaper's calls. I have no reason to disbelieve the story and have no idea what that newspaper is like or who owns it or how it operates. According to some, it's a liberal paper and not to be believed. Of course, that level of scrutiny doesn't ever apply to obvious right-wing news/opinion sources who are to always be believed because they never have an agenda.

But, again, it isn't important for me to believe that the story must be true, but it seems VERY important for you to believe that it is a lie. I'm not sure why. It certainly brings no discredit to Bush, unless he is personally involved somehow, which is highly unlikely. It brings no discredit to republicans as a whole. Maybe you're friends with Gaddis. Maybe it's because all news sources not on the approved list are to be discredited at all costs at all times. Just in case.

Anyway, the reactions to this article have been interesting to say the least.

And you are ignorant of one of our most basic civil rights. There's a little passage in the Bill of Rights that covers this sort of thing. Of course, if she were bombing some country based on her unwavering principles you'd be singing her praises.

The little passage in the Bill of Rights that covers this "sort of thing" ... where is it? I see nothing in the BoR that prohibits an owner from firing an employee. Pretend I'm from Missouri and point it out to me.

Remember, this is a newspaper story essentially championing this poor unfortunate woman's claim that she was fired solely for exhibiting a Kerry/Edwards sticker on her car. By the story alone, we don't know for sure if her claim is true. She may have been fired for other reasons as well.

You don't think freedom of speech is our God-given right? Do you believe that it is the gift of the government or is it something that we are endowed with?

You don't think freedom of speech is our God-given right? Do you believe that it is the gift of the government or is it something that we are endowed with?

"The most basic component of freedom of expression is the right of freedom of speech. The right to freedom of speech allows individuals to express themselves without interference or constraint by the government."

Link

I just don't see where any government: muni-, county, state or federal, is involved here. Certainly, the government isn't constraining anybody's speech (in this particular instance.) This looks to me to be a private matter between an employer and a (former) employee. This is a commerce issue.

And while we're on the topic: What about the employer's 1st Amendment rights? Doesn't he have the same right to express his political opinion? In his own way? Especially within the confines of his own place of business? Or are you actually suggesting the government needs to be brought in somehow to force the employer to adopt a political opinion he doesn't share? Because if you are, ... then we've really got something to talk about! :D

"The most basic component of freedom of expression is the right of freedom of speech. The right to freedom of speech allows individuals to express themselves without interference or constraint by the government."

Link

And while we're on the topic: What about the employer's 1st Amendment rights? Doesn't he have the same right to express his political opinion? In his own way? Especially within the confines of his own place of business? Or are you actually suggesting the government needs to be brought in somehow to force the employer to adopt a political opinion he doesn't share? Because if you are, ... then we've really got something to talk about! :D

Is that what you really think I'm saying? If you read the article you'll see that the employer, Gaddis, was fully expressing his political opinion by including a letter in each employees paycheck which read:

"Just so you will know, because of the Bush tax (cut):

I was able to buy the new Hammer Mill

I was able to finance our receivables

I was able to get the new CAT skid steer

I was able to get the wire cutter

I was able to give you a job"

It further says:

"You got the benefit of the Bush tax cut. Everyone did."

I just don't see where any government:  muni-, county, state or federal, is involved here.  Certainly, the government isn't constraining anybody's speech (in this particular instance.)  This looks to me to be a private matter between an employer and a (former) employee.  This is a commerce issue. 

So, are you saying that you think it's perfectly fine to fire someone because of a political bumper sticker on their car? We're not talking about a simple disagreement or difference of opinion. The woman was alledgedly fired because she has a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker on her car. Is that the right response by the employer?

So, are you saying that you think it's perfectly fine to fire someone because of a political bumper sticker on their car? We're not talking about a simple disagreement or difference of opinion. The woman was alledgedly fired because she has a Kerry/Edwards bumper sticker on her car. Is that the right response by the employer?

Actions = political speech.

If you are a flag burner you don't have to verbally articulate anything to engage in political speech. Your actions constitute a form of expression (currently protected by the Supreme Court, btw.)

The letter that Gaddis sent with everyone's paycheck is his way of doing business. I can't say I agree with his methods but I'm dang sure not going to criticize him for communicating his message to his employees the way he sees fit. To each his own.

The poor, misguided, ignorant, former woman employee opted to challenge Gaddis's opinion on the job after Gaddis sent his letter out with her paycheck. She might as well have silently walked a picket sign with "Kerry/Edwards 2004" up & down the halls. Gaddis even gave her a chance to take the sticker down. She challenged her boss's authority and lost. Not the brightest of career moves especially considering her financial situation.

Again, ... this is not a 1st Amendment issue. The government is not restricting anyone's freedom of speech. It only becomes a 1st Amendment issue if you think the government needs to get involved here on the side of this woman. Then, it's Gaddis's rights that are being violated.

And you are welcome. Now give us the respect that we deserve for looking out after all of you.

I want to be the first to thank you for taking care of poor, little me and my chilluns. You're so big and strong, I don't know what I'd do without you and other heroes just like you.

Is Alabama a right to work state? If so, can't he fire her for whatever reason he wanted, other than race, religion, age, disability, national origin, equal pay, pregnancy, sex, or sexual harassment?

Doesn't it seem a little hypocritical at best for the guy to distribute his political agenda in the paycheck but not want her to put a sticker on her car? Are you so partisan that you can't even agree that that is pathetic behavior on his part? Is it OK for Jimmy Rane to root out all bammers in his business and fire the ones with UA stickers on their cars?

Now, I never said I condoned the guys behavior or his way of politicing. I just pointed out that it doesn't seem to conflict with the EEOCs rules. If Alabama is a right to work state, then he has every right to fire her except for the reasons listed above.

And if it weren't for guys like me, guys like you would have already fallen for the old, "If there are no guns on the street, then there would be no crime" idiocy upheld and PROMOTED by your party of liberals.

Now, I never said I condoned the guys behavior or his way of politicing. I just pointed out that it doesn't seem to conflict with the EEOCs rules. If Alabama is a right to work state, then he has every right to fire her except for the reasons listed above.

And if it weren't for guys like me, guys like you would have already fallen for the old, "If there are no guns on the street, then there would be no crime" idiocy upheld and PROMOTED by your party of liberals.

You really don't know what "Right to Work" laws are, do you? Those have to do with unions and came about under the Taft-Hartley Act. I think you're confusing "right to work" with "Employment at Will". There are still rules that must be followed under Employment at Will. Maybe this will help you.

My question to you wasn't whether it was LEGAL but whether it was the FAIR thing to do, based on what we know from the article, especially in light of the fact that he voiced his political opinion in a far more serious way than she did.

You said you didn't condone what he did so I guess I'll have to assume that you think he was wrong, at least ethically.

I dont think its fair.

I dont think it SHOULD be legal.

I have no clue whether or not it IS legal.

I've already said to much about all this.

(Have the dems linked this to Bush yet?)

She got a call from John Kerry and he has hired her to work on his campaign. What is she going to do for a job after the election is over? This is starting to smell more and more.

Sniff Sniff

She got a call from John Kerry and he has hired her to work on his campaign. What is she going to do for a job after the election is over? This is starting to smell more and more.

Sniff Sniff

Why is it starting to smell? She gets fired because she supports Kerry. He finds out and gives her a job for her trouble. Great PR story if nothing else. Only you would sense some conspiracy here. Share it with us.

I noticed the Daily didnt hire her though...lol

Nice of the Kerry Campaign tho.

But, even a broke clock is right twice a day.

Well, since I was only saying it to bug you liberals, because I knew you guys would have to respond to the chain being jerked, I will go ahead and give you an example of why it smells. Not saying it was a conspiracy by Kerry, but how do you know that this lady was not doing all this to get all this attention in hoping that something better would come along for her? I would bet she was the one that reported it to the Decatur Daily. Why did she talk to a lawyer and then decide not to pursue it and gets a call withing a few days from Kerry? That in itself makes it sound fishy. She is trying to make herself out to be some kind of martyr for Kerry if you really want to know how I feel about it.

You did hit the nail on the head by it being a good PR move, because that is all it is. Kerry don't really give a crap about this lady's job situation, he just made sure that he did it for possibly a few extra votes. Again, the question needs to be raised, is Kerry going to have a job lined up for her after the election, win or lose? That would be an interesting follow up story after the election.

I will go ahead and give you an example of why it smells. Not saying it was a conspiracy by Kerry, but how do you know that this lady was not doing all this to get all this attention in hoping that something better would come along for her? I would bet she was the one that reported it to the Decatur Daily. Why did she talk to a lawyer and then decide not to pursue it and gets a call withing a few days from Kerry? That in itself makes it sound fishy. She is trying to make herself out to be some kind of martyr for Kerry if you really want to know how I feel about it.

You have not added one iota to support your claim. The examples you gave are questions.

Again, the question needs to be raised, is Kerry going to have a job lined up for her after the election, win or lose?

Exactly what kind of job do you think he'd give her? Remember, she sounds like a factory worker with probably a high school diploma at best. So, before you say he's going to give her a Cabinet level position for her "martyrdom", please give this some thought.

you mean she's already got another job?

WHAT AN ECONOMY! W W W W W !!!

yet, i can hear the dems now...

"yeah...whata job... working for KERRY in ALABAMA".

She may be just what we need to get this state converted!!!

you mean she's already got another job?

YES! Is this a great country or what?

The devil is in the details: the job's only going to last until the day before Election Day but hey, a temp job is still a job. And that's one more person off the welfare rolls during the Bush administration. You are seeing real-time dramatic evidence of the Bush tax cut creating more diverse jobs! :lol::D:lol:

Archived