Jerry Palm

AUFan1

Heard him on Fbomb today saying the AU basketball team might be the worst in the modern history of the NCAA. Call me crazy, but I think that is a load of crap. This team may not have a superstar player, but they play hard from start to finish and play some pretty good D too. If AU is the worst team in NCAA modern history, then FSU shouldn't even be considered for the tourney, because we beat them. I didn't get to hear the whole interview, but I believe there were some shots taken at the AU fans too. I believe Jerry said the fans were partly responsible for letting the program slip so far. That jackass XXX has already picked up on the Jerry Palm interview.

So anyway, I think this is just another way for the national media to throw rocks at AU. This team probably isn't going to win a lot of games this year, but it would be great to flip the media the bird one more time by rallying around this team. We need to fill the AU Arena from here on out, some way some how. Forget about the outcome of the games, if you are able please show up and support this team. Don't give the media a new target to firebomb.

But the media never says anything about the amount of players we lost to injuries in the preseason. Barbee doesn't have the bodies out there to be really competitive in the SEC. It would be one thing if Auburn was getting blown out of the gym, but these guys are fighting every time they play. For that I have to respect their effort.

Somebody has to have had the worst team in NCAA history, just like someone has been the best. Makes for a interesting discussion anyway. Obviously we don't think we are the worst-we are fans- it's what we do. I do think this is the worst AU basketball imo but I cheer anyways. WDE.

5 Starters going into this year were going to hopefully be:

Luke Cothron

Shawn kemp

Frankie Sullivan

Ty Armstrong

Verez Ward

And none of them are playing, yet this team still scraps hard, and has played pretty hard and tough in most of the SEC games theyve played. Nowhere near the worst team ever

Luke Cothron

Shawn kemp

Frankie Sullivan

Ty Armstrong

Verez Ward

And none of them are playing, yet this team still scraps hard, and has played pretty hard and tough in most of the SEC games theyve played. Nowhere near the worst team ever

more like Varez Ward,Frankie Sullivan,Kenny Gabriel/Earnest Ross,Ty Armstrong and Luke Cothron

Luke Cothron

Shawn kemp

Frankie Sullivan

Ty Armstrong

Verez Ward

This team might be the worst team in AU recent (last 50 years) history. That being said in the next 3 years we will probably have the best team in AU history.  Barbee is the real deal

Luke Cothron

Shawn kemp

Frankie Sullivan

Ty Armstrong

Verez Ward

I'm not down on them at all-heck- I don't care if we win another game, I'll still pull for them. But just because they are scrappy and play hard doesn't mean this isn't our worst team ever. We have not averaged this low a point total since 1961-62. Think about that. No one says these guys aren't trying and I'm sure they are all great guys, but the fact is this is probably the worst team we have had. If you can name another AU team worse than this, more power to ya! WDE.

Luke Cothron

Shawn kemp

Frankie Sullivan

Ty Armstrong

Verez Ward

I'm not down on them at all-heck- I don't care if we win another game, I'll still pull for them. But just because they are scrappy and play hard doesn't mean this isn't our worst team ever. We have not averaged this low a point total since 1961-62. Think about that. No one says these guys aren't trying and I'm sure they are all great guys, but the fact is this is probably the worst team we have had. If you can name another AU team worse than this, more power to ya! WDE.

I thought the original post was saying that the guy was arguing that this years Auburn was the worst of any team ever. If we're just talking about Auburn teams, yeah this team is definitely in contention for worst Auburn team ever

I've been to a handful of games this year, I can't disagree with Palm's opinion, AU basketball is just not good right now.  Compared to most of the teams we have played this year (especially in the SEC), Auburn is significantly lacking in the talent dept.  The guys play hard and the coaches do a good job of trying to cover our weaknesses by slowing the game down and forcing our opponents to shoot from the outside, but they can only do so much.  I'm proud of AU for showing up every night and playing hard to the final buzzer.  They have been down by at least 20 in several conference games and still play hard.  They will be better in the future because of this and I think AU will be a solid basketball program in 2 or 3 yrs...but it's going to be tough sledding for a while. 

We are going to have to sign better players. We are going to have to be sure we sign players who can get into school. I don't know if it's the worst NCAA team ever. It is certainly one of the worst I've ever seen. Yes, they play hard, and I love that. They just aren't very good. I mean, I have a very hard time remembering a team that score only 6 points in a half or went 0 for 22 to start a half. We need a strong inside game. We need a great point guard with size and we need some shooters. It will take more than one year to get this mess straightened out so we may as well be prepared for that.

the worst team in modern history wouldn't have beaten FSwho and wouldn't be hanging with SEC teams deep into the second half.  I'm not sure what it accomplishes to rate them compared to our worst teams.  I've seen some of our best teams over the years lose by 30 pts due to bad fundamentals, lack of effort, or bad coaching.  When we start winning with Barbee this year will be remembered just like 1980 for Coach Dye.

Archived