3rd and goal from the 3.....

WaDE'05

This may have been posted, but it seemed to me after watching the replay that when we ran away from Marcus Spears (to our left - their right) we gained positive yards, and when we ran to the right, that is when we got stuffed for negative yards. I think if we ran one play to the left (short side of the field) and then had CW dive over the top, we are in for six. But that is just my opinion.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to fan the flames, this is from CFN...

Puke on the West Coast and spread offenses. I’m sick of six-yard passes on third and 13 that ask the receiver to run for the first down followed by announcers saying, “they use the short pass like most teams use the run.” I’m sick of all the cutesy, Mona Lisa Smile watching coordinators and their misdirection plays. I’m sick of teams throwing it three times when they get it first and goal on the four. I'm sick of teams trying to run out the clock by throwing. I'm sick of teams afraid of throwing the deep ball. I'm sick of teams forgetting about trying to wear down smallish defensive lines by using the 300+ offensive linemen throughout the first half so the defenses are pooped midway through the third quarter. Auburn had the ball inside the five against LSU with $25 million-plus worth of NFL running backs to work with and chose to throw. Twice. Thank you Oklahoma State, Minnesota, Navy, Rice and Air Force for your running games.

Speaking of the dumb-ass West Coast attack and not having a power running game … You go for it on fourth and goal from the one. If you can’t get a yard, you don’t deserve to win the ball game. This also makes theoretical sense if you believe in your defense; even if you miss, you’ll probably get the ball back on the opponent’s 35-40. This also means, if you don’t get in, that you’re in total control of the game for at least five minutes.

Whole Thing

Just to fan the flames, this is from CFN...

Puke on the West Coast and spread offenses. I’m sick of six-yard passes on third and 13 that ask the receiver to run for the first down followed by announcers saying, “they use the short pass like most teams use the run.” I’m sick of all the cutesy, Mona Lisa Smile watching coordinators and their misdirection plays. I’m sick of teams throwing it three times when they get it first and goal on the four. I'm sick of teams trying to run out the clock by throwing. I'm sick of teams afraid of throwing the deep ball. I'm sick of teams forgetting about trying to wear down smallish defensive lines by using the 300+ offensive linemen throughout the first half so the defenses are pooped midway through the third quarter. Auburn had the ball inside the five against LSU with $25 million-plus worth of NFL running backs to work with and chose to throw. Twice. Thank you Oklahoma State, Minnesota, Navy, Rice and Air Force for your running games.

Speaking of the dumb-ass West Coast attack and not having a power running game … You go for it on fourth and goal from the one. If you can’t get a yard, you don’t deserve to win the ball game. This also makes theoretical sense if you believe in your defense; even if you miss, you’ll probably get the ball back on the opponent’s 35-40. This also means, if you don’t get in, that you’re in total control of the game for at least five minutes.

Whole Thing

AMEN, brother!!!!!!! :D

Archived