IRAN not listening to UN

CCTAU

The UN is weak and has proven that if the US does anything about Iran, the UN will condemn the US just like in Iraq. The UN is setting the world up for WWW III, not preventing it from happening. And sKerry wants their approval.....

Iran Converts Uranium in Defiance of UN

2 hours, 59 minutes ago  Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Francois Murphy VIENNA (Reuters) - Iran defied the United Nations (news - web sites) on Tuesday by announcing it has begun converting a large amount of raw uranium to prepare it for enrichment, a process that can be used to develop atomic bombs.

The announcement was likely to provoke an angry reaction from Washington and increase suspicion in Israel, which plans to buy 500 "bunker buster" bombs from the United States that could take out Iran's underground atomic facilities.

Gholamreza Aghazadeh, the head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization, told reporters Iran had begun converting 37 tonnes of raw "yellowcake" uranium to process it for use in nuclear centrifuges -- the machines that enrich uranium.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), the U.N.'s nuclear watchdog, adopted a resolution on Saturday calling on Iran to suspend all activities related to uranium enrichment. The United States, Russia and the European Union (news - web sites) reinforced the message on Monday by urging Tehran to comply.

"Some of the amount of the 37 tonnes has been used. The tests have been successful but these tests have to be continued using the rest of the material," said Aghazadeh, one of Iran's vice presidents, who is attending a general conference of the Vienna-based IAEA.

One nuclear expert has said that once converted from yellowcake into uranium hexafluoride, the feed material for enrichment centrifuges, Iran would eventually be able to enrich enough uranium for up to five nuclear weapons.

The IAEA is aware of Iran's plan to convert the uranium for the enrichment process and said it would monitor the tests.

"IAEA (chief) Mohamed ElBaradei continues to call on Iran, as did the board, to suspend such a test as part of their confidence building measures," spokeswoman Melissa Fleming said.

Iranian President Mohammad Khatami (news - web sites) said Iran was determined to press ahead with its atomic program even if it brought an end to U.N. checks of the Islamic Republic's nuclear sites.

"We are determined to obtain peaceful atomic technology even if it causes the stop of international supervision," he said.

BROKEN PROMISES

They (Iran) have a continuous record of making and then breaking promises, both to the board as well as to others," a State Department official said in New York, where Secretary of State Colin Powell (news - web sites) is attending the U.N. General Assembly.

"This is the pattern of a country that has not made the strategic decision to give up its nuclear weapons program."

Iran had promised Britain, France and Germany last October it would freeze all activities related to uranium enrichment.

But Tehran angered the EU's "big three" by announcing earlier this year that the production of feed material for centrifuges would not be included in the freeze.

The resolution said the IAEA board would consider whether "further steps" would be necessary if Iran failed to implement the suspension -- which diplomats said would mean a referral to the U.N. Security Council and possibly economic sanctions.

The United States and some other nations believe Tehran intends to use fissile material for weapons. Iran denies that and says its nuclear program is solely for peaceful purposes.

Israel has made clear it will never permit Iran, which does not recognize the right of the Jewish state to exist, to become a nuclear power.

Diplomats and analysts say Israel would prefer diplomacy to war and a coalition if military action were needed against Iran, but is ready to act alone if needed.

In June, the Pentagon (news - web sites) said it was considering the sale to Israel of 500 BLU-109 bombs, designed to destroy reinforced targets, as part of a munitions package meant "to contribute significantly to U.S. strategic and tactical objectives."

Israeli security sources said the sale would go through and one told Reuters: "This is not the sort of ordnance needed for the Palestinian front. Bunker busters could serve Israel against Iran, or possibly Syria."

(Additional reporting by Dan Williams in Jerusalem, Parisa Hafezi in Tehran, Louis Charbonneau in Vienna and Arshad Mohammed in New York)

Time for the UN and sKerry to break out the spitballs and nip this ine in the bud!

But, but, but...I thought going through the UN would solve everything!! I mean, you've got the weight of world opinion on your side. Why isn't Iran listening?!? Oh, what will we do?

Would it really be worth starting another war over the possibility that they can make up to five bombs? We're not doing much to diffuse the situation if we're selling bunker busters to Israel knowing they'll use them in Iran if they feel they need to....

Would it really be worth starting another war over the possibility that they can make up to five bombs? We're not doing much to diffuse the situation if we're selling bunker busters to Israel knowing they'll use them in Iran if they feel they need to....

You're right. Ignore them. They'll eventually go away! <_<

Ha, that's not what I'm saying at all. However, if I remember correctly, Bush stated he'd attack anyone he deemed a threat to our country's safety. I'm almost positive it wasn't worded like that, please don't rip into my word choice. Iran was one of the members of the axis of evil. Is this somehow implying we should step in right now?

Keep in mind, I am not anti-Bush. My signature quote is there because I thought it was funny

Would it really be worth starting another war over the possibility that they can make up to five bombs?  We're not doing much to diffuse the situation if we're selling bunker busters to Israel knowing they'll use them in Iran if they feel they need to....

Gotta take a stand some time. If the U.S. 'rushed' to war after 12 yrsof sancitons, 18 U.N resolutions, and a 15-0 Security Council vote , what will it take to convince Iran that the rest of the world isn't fooling around. 20 yrs of sanctions? 30 years? They saw how everyone, including the corrupt leaders in the U.N. its self bashed the U.S.A. for finally stepping in and taking care of Saddam. Saddam knew one thing for sure, that if he kept fudging w/ the rules just enough, the rest of the world would let him slide .....then George Bush got elected.

So, we're damned if we do, damned if we don't . I personally say screw the rest of the world, lets wait and see how this plays out. Let France deal w/ this one.

I agree with letting the rest of the world handle it. If we see an actual threat, I'd have no problem stepping in. At least this time we'd know what was actually happening. However, we need to finish Iraq before we take on something else. We're spreading everything way too thin.

But, but, but...I thought going through the UN would solve everything!! I mean, you've got the weight of world opinion on your side. Why isn't Iran listening?!? Oh, what will we do?

Well, we know we won't do too much on our own, b/c we're tied up next door where there wasn't a nuclear threat. And we have taken out Iran's counter balance. I'm sure they're grateful. But that's what you get when you hire an utterly incompetent CEO.

One conflict at a time

Would have been nice to have that option back in WW2. Handle Japan first, then turn our attention to Germany. Or the other way around. Take your pick. At least Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan are all right together. If only the rest of the world ( besides Russia ) could see the danger inherent in the Islamo - Fascist.

But, but, but...I thought going through the UN would solve everything!!  I mean, you've got the weight of world opinion on your side.  Why isn't Iran listening?!?  Oh, what will we do?

Well, we know we won't do too much on our own, b/c we're tied up next door where there wasn't a nuclear threat. And we have taken out Iran's counter balance. I'm sure they're grateful. But that's what you get when you hire an utterly incompetent CEO.

Gosh if he just hadn't of gone off and attacked poor little ole Sadaam, he could easily attack Iran now. Like you and you wimpy ilk see any problem with Iran creating nuclear weapons? With sKerry in charge we can all go back to being the global whore we were under all demoncratic regimes. Nice life for you maybe, but not me.

But, but, but...I thought going through the UN would solve everything!!  I mean, you've got the weight of world opinion on your side.  Why isn't Iran listening?!?  Oh, what will we do?

Gosh if he just hadn't of gone off and attacked poor little ole Sadaam, he could easily attack Iran now. Like you and you wimpy ilk see any problem with Iran creating nuclear weapons? With sKerry in charge we can all go back to being the global whore we were under all demoncratic regimes. Nice life for you maybe, but not me.

"wimpy ilk?" Yeah, we love rogue regimes having nukes. It's in the Democratic platform.

Hey tough guy, why don't you volunteer to fight in Iraq? Or Iran, if you prefer. Or Syria. North Korea. Oh, the possibilities are almost endless! And send in extra tax dollars while you're at it. We're fighting a war, you know, and we're short on funds after giving Bill Gates that much needed tax cut.

We boosted Saddam to fight Iran. He was Rumsfeld's boy. He used chemical weapons over 20 years ago and we looked the other way because at the time we hated Iran more. When he had him, we didn't care. When he didn't, we attack.

Actually, we're both living a relatively nice life right now. The troops in Iraq, on the other hand...

Actually, we're both living a relatively nice life right now. The troops in Iraq, on the other hand...

Who volunteered, btw. And most are happy to be doing their job.

And yes your boy sKerry has said as much that he would rather have Sadaam still in power. And Sadaam would have eventually gotten his hands on nukes.

Why should I volunteer? I've already passed that stage in my life and now have other responsibilities. But I guess since I didn't serve and get all my purple band-aids, that I too, now, do not have the right to an opinion. Yes we are at war and I do pay plenty of taxes, give to church, and volunteer to help out my fellow man. That is what should be done by all of us back home while the troops are over there just wasting tax dollars.

I'm sure they appreciate your support of their commander in chief who most will be voting for.

Actually, we're both living a relatively nice life right now.  The troops in Iraq, on the other hand...

And yes your boy sKerry has said as much that he would rather have Sadaam still in power. And Sadaam would have eventually gotten his hands on nukes.

Why should I volunteer? I've already passed that stage in my life and now have other responsibilities. But I guess since I didn't serve and get all my purple band-aids, that I too, now, do not have the right to an opinion. Yes we are at war and I do pay plenty of taxes, give to church, and volunteer to help out my fellow man. That is what should be done by all of us back home while the troops are over there just wasting tax dollars.

I'm sure they appreciate your support of their commander in chief who most will be voting for.

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion. But if your opinion is that those who oppose you politically are "wimpy" I thought you might want to prove you manly bonafides by strapping on your weapon and shooting some folks to assist freedom's march in Iraq.

Purple band-aids. Classy. Diminish a combat veteran's service. My aren't you the manly one!

Actually, we're both living a relatively nice life right now.  The troops in Iraq, on the other hand...

Sure, you're entitled to your opinion. But if your opinion is that those who oppose you politically are "wimpy" I thought you might want to prove you manly bonafides by strapping on your weapon and shooting some folks to assist freedom's march in Iraq.

Purple band-aids. Classy. Diminish a combat veteran's service. My aren't you the manly one!

Yes I am manly and can beat you up! Is this what you are after?

Makes no difference to me. Combat veteran? 4 1/2 months of trying to figure out how to make up wounds to get home. And then tell everybody about it. I am very comfortable with my manhood and have no problem determinig which side I'm on. I'm on the side of the man that doesn't betray his brother. You don't have to go to war to know that that's wrong.

And I have no problem strapping my weapon on and defending my family. Come on down and threaten us and you too will find this out. But I do believe if I were to offer my services up today, I would be more useful to them than attacking with a paper clip. Some of us have worked ourselves into positions of intelligence and would be utilized as such.

Yes I am manly and can beat you up!

Well ain't you somethin'!

I'm on the side of the man that doesn't betray his brother.

Thought you were a Bush supporter?

And I have no problem strapping my weapon on and defending my family. Come on down and threaten us and you too will find this out.

How did you know what I was planning for vacation? How's that anger management class going, BTW?

Some of us have worked ourselves into positions of intelligence and would be utilized as such.

Good for you!

And I have no problem strapping my weapon on and defending my family. Come on down and threaten us and you too will find this out.

How did you know what I was planning for vacation? How's that anger management class going, BTW?

Some of us have worked ourselves into positions of intelligence and would be utilized as such.

Good for you!

THANK YOU.

Forget the hug!

Good for you!

THANK YOU.

Forget the hug!

Aw, c'mon! Just a little one?

Archived