Hello NCAA Violations- Not Us

Todd From Talisi

• Replies 760
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it is funny about the rumors of the NCAA checking into Cam Newton's tailor and then having this going on.  I think that they are in panic mode for what its worth.  WDE!!!

Well, this is exactly the kind of violation that teams actually get busted for (free cars are apparently impossible to verify), but I have to admit it's pretty lame.  I really have no problem with football players doing this kind of thing.  Lucky for us the NCAA has a big problem with it.  If there is a picture of Saban with this guy then it's going to be hard for Saban to act like he was unaware of what was going on.  THAT will be what causes real trouble.  If the administration could have claimed ignorance then this would only result in some players missing games.

This may go viral - I hope this goes viral... The media in Atlanta are the ones that could make this happen after the treatment the rambling wreck just recieved.

Looks like it starting to get out there.....

Did T-Town Menswear Cause an NCAA Violation For Alabama?Published on: July 22, 2011 | Written by: Clay Travis

You know the drill these days. You go to the bar to celebrate the launch of your website with a bunch of great people, come home planning to fall into bed and dream about what gifts Les Miles might give us all at SEC Media Days tomorrow, and instead find a collection of emails in the inbox spilling out the latest social media scandal in college athletics. This happens when you're me and both Auburn and Alabama fans have decided that you'll be one of the conduits for each fan base to attack the other. This time it's the Alabama Crimson Tide on the dais taking their turn in the borderline infractions limelight courtesy of sleuthing by Auburn fans. It seems that the folks at T-Town Menswear have made part of their business plan attracting Alabama fans to their fine establishment in the Tuscaloosa Mall. Based on their television advertising which is linked below courtesy of @warblogle on Twitter, Terrence Cody and Javier Arenas, among other players have had autograph sessions with fans after their college careers end.

There's nothing wrong with these men selling their autographs then. But is there something wrong with any college kid appearing in a television commercial with someone named Louie Linguini? I think so. Although, let's be fair, this Terrence Cody block sequence is Academy Award winning. Perhaps the greatest single athlette acting performance since Cody's own shirtless forty yard dash. You must watch this video here.

But given the current environment where schools like Ohio State can lose their coach because of tattoo hook-ups, should a Tuscaloosa establishment really be advertising its store with autographed jerseys of Julio Jones, Mark Ingram, and Trent Richardson during the 2010 season? (The date stamp on the T-Town Menswear Facebook album, which you can view for the moment right here -- before it is inevitably pulled early this morning -- is November 1,2010 but the date on the camera is October 19, 2010). Julio Jones and Mark Ingram have since gone pro, although they weren't pros at the time that their autographed helmets and jerseys were inside the store windows. But two of the jerseys in the window Nico Johnson, a rising junior, and Trent Richardson, one of the top Heisman candidates in the country, are back for 2011.

And no matter what Trent Richardson surely shouldn't be posing for photos as he signs helmets in the store.

It's possible that Richardson is merely signing one helmet and one jersey and he had no idea that the store was then going to put his signed jersey and helmet in the display case. After all, thanks to NCAA rules the only person not able to capitalize off the value of his signature is the athlete. But remember that Terrelle Pryor was ultimately forced out at Ohio State over allegations about payment for autographs while he was at Ohio State. So allowing a business to put up pictures of you and your teammates signing memorabilia on the Internet is just plain stupid. You gain nothing and everyone's eyebrows are raised. So a guy in a wife-beater walks into a suit store, signs a helmet and jersey, and walks out with nothing at all? What's the incentive for Bama players to provide autographs to T-Town Menswear? And how in the world did a suit store owner end up with what looks like national championship rings?

Those are interesting questions that it's probably better not to ask if you're a Bama fan.

But when T-Town Menswear placed the jerseys and helmets of current players in its window, according to @bylawblog who is a must follow on Twitter, they committed an NCAA violation. Since using a student's likeness to profit is an NCAA violation. But so long as that student doesn't actually receive anything in return then there is no significant punishment. A school must, however, monitor situations such as these and send a cease and desist letter to attempt to keep that business from profiting off the student athlete's likeness. Because remember kids, the only companies that can profit off a student athlete's likeness are those that partner with the NCAA.

Aren't monopolies grand?

I've got an email in to Alabama to see if this situation was remedied back in November and will update y'all with what the University says about this incident when they reply to me. 

Given that this was a public mall it's hard to believe that someone didn't tip off Alabama to the NCAA violation pretty quickly. As to why T-Town Menswear and the spectacularly named Louie Linguini is still advertising images like these on Facebook, I have no idea. But this is just the latest peril of social media.

If only there was a friendly police officer to protect us from all these darn NCAA crimes. Oh, wait, he's posing with Richardson in the store. Damn.

In case you're wondering this is what Scott Van Pelt would look like if he'd grown up in Tuscaloosa and become a police officer instead of an ESPN anchor.

If the bammers get burned over this CT better look for a house without stairs and take up the atkins diet for his own good. He may have kicked the anthill one too many times with this one.

Well, this is exactly the kind of violation that teams actually get busted for (free cars are apparently impossible to verify), but I have to admit it's pretty lame.  I really have no problem with football players doing this kind of thing.  Lucky for us the NCAA has a big problem with it.  If there is a picture of Saban with this guy then it's going to be hard for Saban to act like he was unaware of what was going on.  THAT will be what causes real trouble.  If the administration could have claimed ignorance then this would only result in some players missing games.

There is a picture on facebook of the owner and weeman together. I do not know how to post the picture.

Folks, this stuff/thread looks silly and petty to me... just saying.

College players sign autographs and they even have fan appreciation days for that.

College players get asked to pose for photos and after that they have no control over those photos.

College players shop at stores and purchase items.

etc.

Pick your targets well and don't waste your ammunition/credibility.

WE HAVE BEEN DRESSING THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND COACHES SINCE 1995.

12.5 PROMOTIONAL ACTIVITIES

12.5.2 Nonpermissible.

12.5.2.1 Advertisements and Promotions After Becoming a Student-Athlete.

After becoming a student-athlete, an individual shall not be eligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics if the individual:

(a) Accepts any remuneration for or permits the use of his or her name or picture to advertise, recommend or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind;

If any of the pictures have the same day and very close time stamp as players this is Lack of Institutional control issue.  Same as sweater vest.

WE HAVE BEEN DRESSING THE UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA FOOTBALL PLAYERS AND COACHES SINCE 1995.

12.5.2 Nonpermissible.

After becoming a student-athlete, an individual shall not be eligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics if the individual:

(a) Accepts any remuneration for or permits the use of his or her name or picture to advertise, recommend or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind;

If any of the pictures have the same day and very close time stamp as players this is Lack of Institutional control issue.  Same as sweater vest.

^^^^This^^^^

Any other school= major violations and sanctions

bammer=Oh just pay back the money to charity and it will be ok.

Any other school= major violations and sanctions

bammer=Oh just pay back the money to charity and it will be ok.

I don't think the NCAA will let them slide if there is anything of substance to this latest claim.  They hammered them pretty good a few years ago. As a matter of fact I don't think there are any sacred cows out there anymore.

12.5.2 Nonpermissible.

^^^^This^^^^

Not sure about all this. Yes it is a violation. However there is a simple but key element on whether it is an effectively minor violation with relatively insignificant penalties or a MAJOR problem. That of course is whether the players involved received any benefit from the situation / arrangement. From a practical standpoint, I am sure they did. Otherwise why would multiple players (and even Saban) take the time and effort to promote this guy's business? However, what killed OSU is the players received discounted sevices and various benefits with monetary value for their memorabilia.

So, the big question is can it be shown the players involved benefitted from the relationship. I would think they would have to be extremely stupid to have left a "paper trail" or some documentable proof of benefits, but who knows.

I think penalties are an absolute given here. There is a clear documentable violation. The question is the severity of it...

There are stores all over the state of AL that have an excessive amount of signed jerseys and other UAT dust collectors on display... especially in T'Town and B'Ham...

This guy is not a lone ranger...

Any of you living there may be able to spot other businessmen who, at least from the way things look, are in this loop...

What effect will this have if this uncovers a number of businesses doing this? What would wide-spread abuse of the tOSU type violations bring on a program? 

Folks, this stuff/thread looks silly and petty to me... just saying.

College players sign autographs and they even have fan appreciation days for that.

College players get asked to pose for photos and after that they have no control over those photos.

College players shop at stores and purchase items.

etc.

Pick your targets well and don't waste your ammunition/credibility.

I see what you're saying, but I think there's more to this.  This isn't a coincidence that sevral high profile UAT players are asked for autogs and pose for photos with the same guy, who is clearly a UAT booster, close enough to Saban to have pics made, has access to Nat'l Champ rings, hosts autog sessions for former players, has a website and facebook page claiming to be the guy who dresses UAT football players, features former UAT players on his TV commercials, hangs autog'd UAT jerseys and helmets in his store, etc....  I'm an AU fan, and I have been known to ask a coach or player for an autograph here and there, but this goes way beyong this guy being a casual college football fan.  

Can someone send this to other forums like the Ohio State one, tigerdroppins, dawgrant etc....Sorry I do not know

how to do this...Surely some writer would pick this up!

I heard that there was a big bonfire at the football complex last night in Turdtown, apparently the players decided to burn a whole bunch of clothing instead of donating it to the Tornado Relief Fund!!  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Nice championship ring he is wearing. Wonder how he got that?

If you throw a few free custom suits the way of some coaches and players, you get some kickbacks!

Archived