Eddie Goldman Visit

BurtonJ20

Alabama is in a position to make a title run every year right now. I think you guys need to prepare yourself for the momentum to go back and forth between Auburn and Alabama. Alabama is probable in better shape then Auburn this year as much as I hate to say it.  But thats the truth.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you are missing one of the fundamental issues about hiring a coach. While I love Chizik and what he brings to the table outside of football and believe that he is a good (read as great) guy, I hope Auburn didn't hire him because of that. As an AD for a large D1 football program, it is your job to hire a guy who is going to win. While Chizik may use the fact that he is a solid individual to help him win, that is not the only way to do it.

Saban on the other hand has a history of producing results, which is exactly what he is in place to do. You can try and argue that you want to have a high moral and great guy as a coach but everyone knows how the game works, once you start losing nobody cares how you developed the players as people. To be completely honest, when you look at your job like Saban does, that he is in it to win, Saban is a pretty fair coach. It is fairly understood that if you don't produce you are expendable. That's something you see all the time in the real world. If a recruit doesn't understand that Saban does what it takes to produce, you know as hard as it is to say it, it is the recruit's fault.

All things being said, if I had a choice of Chizik and Saban I would obviously choose Chizik. Met him and seems like a solid guy and outside of Iowa St has an impeccable record. But Bama has a great (if not in size) coach and are lucky to have him too. You may not agree with how he runs his ship but you know he produces and that is what Bama asks for. If you disagree with that, that is why you are an Auburn not a Bammer.

I don't think he's missing that fundamental point, I think he's simply saying that there's something else that is more important. Quite frankly, I can't disagree. You're right that Saban is a good coach, he just isn't the right fit for Auburn. He's perfect for Alabama: all he cares about is winning and doing whatever it takes to win. He doesn't care how many players he steps on in the "Process" so long as he's winning...and neither do the bammers. Historically they haven't, either; remember, Bear signed dozens of players per year to a scholarship just so Auburn wouldn't be able to get them--only to sit them on the bench for as long as they remained at UAT--back before scholarship restrictions.

At Auburn, however, we want to win just as badly, but we want to do so the right way while turning our student-athletes into fine young men who can go out in the real world and make an honorable life for themselves, whether they stay in football or not. That's because we are Family, and we care about more than just their football careers.

For the record, consider that more a rant thrown out to the cosmos than a shot at anyone. I'm not questioning your loyalties or anything, just arguing the point.

college football should be, IMO, COLLEGE first and football second ... to me, a coach should represent the values of his university.  I want our coach to want to win with the utmost fervor, but not at the expense of the university values.  these do not have to be mutually exclusive.  Saban wins with a professional, business-like, "cold" process.  Chizik wins with a professional, values oriented family.

Bama went out and paid top dollar for a mercenary.  Auburn went out and got an Auburn man for the Auburn Family who truly represents the Auburn Creed. 

(oh, yea ... I really hope Eddie Goldman decides to come to Auburn.  He and Auburn can succeed together)

I hope we get Eddie Goldman.

I don't know that Chizik is a better or worse coach than Saban. I do know they have different approaches to the game as a whole (that's blatantly obvious). However, if Chizik is slightly not as good as Saban, he can make up for it by having the better supporting cast of coaches compared to what Saban has - assembling the right team/supporting cast of coaches is one facet of great & successful program leadership.

I think the best two overall coaching staffs is in the state of Alabama. Its a lot easier for Alabama in recruiting because they carry the state name, an advantage that all state universities have. What makes Auburn's staff so special, is they don't concede anything....they battle for every recruit and coach the heck out of their kids.

I think the best two overall coaching staffs is in the state of Alabama. Its a lot easier for Alabama in recruiting because they carry the state name, an advantage that all state universities have. What makes Auburn's staff so special, is they don't concede anything....they battle for every recruit and coach the heck out of their kids.

^^^^ times 1000. For the last 2 national champions to be from a state as small as the state of Alabama is per capita, it says a lot about how good the coaching staffs are at both schools.

^^^^ times 1000. For the last 2 national champions to be from a state as small as the state of Alabama is per capita, it says a lot about how good the coaching staffs are at both schools.

Says a lot about the fan bases as well, because neither is accustomed to accepting failure.

About as unlikely as Northern Ireland producing the last three pro golf major tournament winners.

^No kidding!^

I remember when America had the best golfers. They had one that was real good. Elderick maybe Derrick Hood or something like that but everybody called him Lion,Bear, or something like that. What ever happened to that guy?

^No kidding!^

I remember when America had the best golfers. They had one that was real good. Elderick maybe Derrick Hood or something like that but everybody called him Lion,Bear, or something like that. What ever happened to that guy?

I think it was Snow Leopard, but didn't you hear? He's washed up...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey they can  keep shanks and we will take the top DT in the nation. If we get him in town for a game and he sees our lack of experience and the wealth of opportunity for PT  on our interior as opposed to F$U, I think we bring him home to the plains.

I know we got Nero (good get), but I'm not feeling good about Goldman or turning Shanks.

Any word if we've turned up the heat on guys like Carlos Watkins, Korren Kirven, and Dalvin Tomlinson?

An Elite D-lineman doesn't look to be in our future. Peltons first year no previous relationships are killing his recruiting.

I think you should watch Nero's highlights.  Its sick.

An Elite D-lineman doesn't look to be in our future. Peltons first year no previous relationships are killing his recruiting.

As said above, we've already got one in Nero...and we've already got outstanding talent along the D-line as it is. I think we'll be okay if we don't sign any more "elite" defensive linemen this year, but I wouldn't count us out of anything!

I believe we get Williams; and maybe a JUCO and that's it at this point.  It is still early in the recruiting process.  Wait until players start taking OV's to games, and experience the atmosphere.  We will change a few recruits mind if they come to JH for a game.  So, there is always a chance. 

Archived