DB Geno Smith Announcing August 17th**

AUSportTalk

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I told ya he was a Bammerturd from the start.. But, I believe we are ok.. KM is his bud so expect him also to be a turd/Uga maybe...again, Our RB's are set so I am not really concerned.. just my opinion! WDE! Just wish the kids luck and move on!

Best of luck to Geno. I hope this is the only bad decision that young man ever makes.

I hope he makes a few more... like deciding to bite on a Kiehl Frazier pump-fake.

Best of luck to Geno. I hope this is the only bad decision that young man ever makes.

I hope he makes a few more... like deciding to bite on a Kiehl Frazier pump-fake.

You are correct sir. Off the field bad decisions is what I should have said.

Like ST said, we should keep walk on spot for him in couple year.

...i really don't think you ever hold a spot for these kids. if they want to be auburn tigers then come on on in, but don't come knock'n on the door when you aren't playing in a year or so at where ever else you decide is the right fit for you. If they want to come in and compete for playing time then come now. best of luck to all the kids we recruit, but Auburn Football is not the Island of 2nd Chances.

...i really don't think you ever hold a spot for these kids. if they want to be auburn tigers then come on on in, but don't come knock'n on the door when you aren't playing in a year or so at where ever else you decide is the right fit for you. If they want to come in and compete for playing time then come now. best of luck to all the kids we recruit, but Auburn Football is not the Island of 2nd Chances.

cough...cough...Grant...cough...Blakely...cough...Ray...cough...Cam.... :-\

cough...cough...Grant...cough...Blakely...cough...Ray...cough...Cam.... :-\

:laugh: :laugh:  :bow:

AU is no one's little brother...

Ummm..ehem. Yes we actually are wade christopher's lil bro.

I'll tell you guys this much.... this one REALLY stings me.... the same way that losing Mike Blakely stung last year!  >:( This kid was ALL AU after his visit here prior to BCW, and ADMITTED that he almost COMMITTED after that visit! And it wasn't like he hadn't already seen everything that UA had to offer. Take a look at his quotes from that visit....

Per Rivals.com and Scout.com

"The visit was great, I enjoyed it a lot," Smith said. "I got a bunch of one-on-one time with the coaches, it was amazing.

"Auburn is definitely at the top right now, this visit did a lot. Auburn is definitely my number one, and it will be hard for me to find a number two because I'm definitely liking Auburn, this visit changed a lot."

"The difference was I got more one-on-one time with the coaches," Smith said. "I just had an hour meeting with coach (Gene) Chizik and coach Trooper (Taylor), got to sit with coach (Ted) Roof, coach (Philip) Lolley, just go over schemes and coverages."

"This time was completely different, I just felt the love," Smith said. "I just felt like I'm a number one priority for them. I got the chance to talk about more things than football, life after football, hang out with the players and see how I fit in with them. A lot of questions were answered and a lot was made up today."

“It’s definitely big,” he said. “Everybody wants to play early. Auburn’s situation is great for me since they are low or corners. They’re moving to nickel and dime packages on defense so the next two years it’s going to be important getting some depth at cornerback. Me going there, if I do commit, would be a great opportunity.”

"Since Cam left, they are still getting those mobile quarterbacks and trying to get the best players in the country," Smith said. "I want to be around the best, I want to compete with the best, so that's great."

"Me and Zeke met the first time last year at the Auburn camp, and recently we were talking, and since he committed he's been on me every day."

"Everybody wants to play early and Auburn is a great situation for me because they are low on corners," Smith said. "Me going here, if I did commit, would be good for me."

"I still want to play everything out and make sure I'm making the right choice, so I still want to take my officials, but you never know," said Smith.

"I plan on coming back down for Big Cat. I heard it's off the chain, top 20 players around the country, I look forward to it."

Like I said... he was "All In", and ready to commit. Add to that the fact that he is VERY close with almost every one of our commits from this year's class (especially Holsey, Williams, Parks, and Pike), and really only ONE (Kenyan Drake) from UA's class, and you'd think that this one was a "done deal". Now, I know all too well all the rules of recruiting... "he's just a kid"... and "they change their minds all the time"... but the ones like this fall under a different category IMO.

Take a look at this quote from Smith's mother today.... I found it pretty interesting.

From Scout.com

“I feel more pressure than he feels I think,” she said laughing. “I know there is pressure on him now to succeed and I really want him to live up to those expectations. He does not worry about that, but as his mother, I do. I think about it, I worry about it, and I want him to be what others think he should be. He is coachable, he works hard, and he is likable, so I know he will okay, but I still think about it.”

I'll say this and leave it at this.... we have seen this TIME AND TIME again.... and for the next couple of years, we will CONTINUE to see it, as long as Nick Saban is at Alabama.... our coaches have NO PROBLEM recruiting the kids.... in fact, the majority of the time, when a kid comes down to AU or UA, the KID is going to choose AU! That is a FACT! But unfortunately, we do NOT win out the majority of the time with someone else that we have to recruit along with the player....... THE PARENTS!  >:( For whatever reason, Nick Saban has a reputation among high school coaches, players, and parents of being better-suited than anyone else to put kids into the NFL! He knows this, his staff knows this, and so they USE IT to their advantage EVERYTIME that they can! I don't blame them for it.... I just HATE that it ends up costing us recruits like this, who FALL IN LOVE with everything about AU when they visit and have their minds made up that AU is the place that they want to go to school... and our coaches are the ones that they want to play for.... BUT their parents don't support their decision! And that's b/c ALL the parents see is those 3 little letters in their minds..... N-F-L!!! And b/c of that coupled with their infatuation with Lil' Nicky, they don't care what their kids want, and they'll do whatever they can to convince their kids to sign with him!

And guess what... when asked today what his reason was for choosing UA over AU, Geno said that it was b/c of Saban's record of getting DB's in the league. Surprise, surprise!  :rolleyes:

We all know that Coach Chizik is EVERY BIT as good of a DB coach as Saban is.... unfortunately, he just doesn't have the same "rep" as Saban. But guess what also... that is ABOUT to change! Our last couple of recruiting classes (and this one) is STACKED with potential "NFL talent" in the defensive backfield (and everywhere else for that matter), and we WILL be in the BCSNC hunt EVERY YEAR.... which means that Coach Chizik and our staff's "reps" are going to continue to GROW and GROW with players, coaches, and in some cases most-importantly, PARENTS!

So I'll say enjoy it while you can turd fans, and get as many kids like this one, and Brent Calloway, and Cyrus K, and Corey Grant (who came to his senses, THANK GOD)... b/c it's not gonna last forever!  :devil:

God Bless and Good Luck, Geno.

Great post DJ!!  I wish Geno the very best.  I hope he gets what his mom thinks he will get.  We would be very good with him and we will be very good without him. 

Geno who? It's over. Let's move on to Bush, Agholor, the Joneses, etc. There's no crying over spilt milk in recruiting.

:we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we:

Well Saban does runs a roster like a NFL program.

He also runs an Pro-style offense and usually has a dang good defense, and he has some pretty good connections to the NFL.  Maybe that's what some parents and HS players find appealing.

So be it. 

I wish Geno the best, and I hate he didn't decide to come to Auburn. 

Geno who? It's over. Let's move on to Bush, Agholor, the Joneses, etc. There's no crying over spilt milk in recruiting.

:we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we: :we:

^^Agree totally. Lock the thread and lets move on.

Archived