What Paul Rhoads said when he first got to Iowa St.

AUCE05

I've never seen that article before.  But I think I'll lighten up on placing too much blame on Coach Roof now. 

These defensive players are talented and they had to have been well coached on fundamental football technique in high school or they wouldn't have been rated so high coming out of high school.  They didn't just forget how to tackle and wrap up the opponent.  :-\

I think we won a national championship last year.  I think Chizik (DC) coached a SEC champ and undefeated team in 2004, went to Texas and coached (DC) a national championship.  The guy did an outstanding job at UCF before he went to Auburn.  

It's laughable to me that somehow Chizik's teams can't tackle.  That said, somebody needs to put on a tackling clinic for our defense quickly.  

War Eagle!

I read that article not long after it came out. I remember a lot of us calling it absolutely foolish. No fibbing, for three quarters today I couldn't get that article out of my mind. I just don't get it. I have seen Coach Chiz's D dominate SEC teams. Great tackling teams. All we have heard is how much talent we have aquired. I just am so baffled by the situation. My days go back to Shug. I just have never seen anything like it at Auburn. Again, just baffled.

The first statement that needs to be said at the next Auburn practice?

"Gentlemen, this is a football."

We need to revisit fundamentals and start from square one.

I read that article not long after it came out. I remember a lot of us calling it absolutely foolish. No fibbing, for three quarters today I couldn't get that article out of my mind. I just don't get it. I have seen Coach Chiz's D dominate SEC teams. Great tackling teams. All we have heard is how much talent we have aquired. I just am so baffled by the situation. My days go back to Shug. I just have never seen anything like it at Auburn. Again, just baffled.

After reading that article, it appears Coach Chizik had to have changed something about his defensive coaching once he left Texas to go to ISU, and unfortunately, it appears as though he is still of the same mindset with regard to coaching fundamental technique as he was at ISU.  Because honestly, I remember scratching my head many times at the lack of basic tacking by our defense.  I know this defensive players at Texas, and Auburn were better fundamentally than what I've seen since his return to AU. 

I hope it's a simple fix though.

^^^I'm with you on this^^^

Rhoads didn't complain when he got to Auburn.... hmmmm.  Could be he was trying to pacify the ISU fans who were upset that CGC left.  They thought they had their savior and he left after 2 years.  Of course, he did stock the shelf with some excellent talent for CPR to come in and take advantage of.  Wonder where the recruiting has gone since he got there?

Rhoads didn't complain when he got to Auburn.... hmmmm.   Could be he was trying to pacify the ISU fans who were upset that CGC left.  They thought they had their savior and he left after 2 years.  Of course, he did stock the shelf with some excellent talent for CPR to come in and take advantage of.   Wonder where the recruiting has gone since he got there?

Didn't he come in after Muschamp?

see Chizik's track record.....see Paul Rhoads..any questions? I think a lot of the issues are depth related, and how the team practices, possibly fear of injuries therefore thud tackling may be tacking place....regardless I have faith that Chizk will get it corrected..

Rhoads didn't complain when he got to Auburn.... hmmmm.   Could be he was trying to pacify the ISU fans who were upset that CGC left.  They thought they had their savior and he left after 2 years.  Of course, he did stock the shelf with some excellent talent for CPR to come in and take advantage of.   Wonder where the recruiting has gone since he got there?

Yep. I believe Coach Chiz left after the 2004 season. Coach Rhoads came here in 2008.

i think the issue with the missed tackles is... we recruit all these kids who dominate hs sports. all they have to do is sling a guy down, run him over, or just dive at their feet and they go down. i believe the coaches expect these guys to be able to tackle correctly and dont go over it as much as they should...

i thought it was gibbs right before rhoads?

i think the issue with the missed tackles is... we recruit all these kids who dominate hs sports. all they have to do is sling a guy down, run him over, or just dive at their feet and they go down. i believe the coaches expect these guys to be able to tackle correctly and dont go over it as much as they should...

they seem to tackle well at updykeville and Lsu...this dog won't hunt

and Lsu...

Yeah, I remember the LSU game last year...LSU shut AU down, brought in a top ten rushing defense and AU had no answers....or do I have that game confused with someone else?    :dunno:

I wouldnt be surprised if Chizik and Roof have done something of this sort at some point this week. The tackling performance last week had to be a big eye opener for anybody watching.

Archived