Finebuam Story about Updyke

ballrun44

Finebaum posted a pretty decent artcle about Updyke on SI.com.  I can tolerate reading him more than listening.  Thankfully they took him off the air in NW Florida on 100.3.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/paul_finebaum/10/13/harvey.updyke/index.html

But the sad truth is that Finebaum captilaizes off scum like Updyke.  I tried on numerous occasions in the past to call and have and intelligent converstaion but I can't get on.  Updyke and his ilk call often and make it right through.  Finebaum said in his article he even called Updyke at his home to check on him!

It is a sad indictment on sports journalism...uh...oh...I mean intertainment.

WAR EAGLE - go trees!!

The cries for mecry for Updyke are sickenening.  He chose this, he created this, and then he bragged about this on the radio.  No sympathy here.  Oh, your back hurts...didn't hurt too bad when you were transporting the poison to the trees, and faking you own assault outside of a gas station...oh UAT fans don't like you anymore, your fault, not mine, your family name is forever a punchline to both fanbases, again not my fault.  If the Toomers Oaks were "just trees" like so many say, then why did he drive 30 mins out of his way to pick those 2 particular trees.  If Updyke dies in jail, it will be his doing, not mine. 

I agree that Updyke has earned every ounce of vitriol that he has received since it came out that he poisoned the trees.  Still, I pity him.  I pity him for being such a deluded and obsessed fan and allowing his identity to be so wrapped in the ebb and flow of Alabama's success on the gridiron that it would drive him to do something so nutty.  He's a sad man living a sad, empty life.  When all you have to live for is football, your life is pretty empty.

I do believe Harvey has suffered greatly for his crimes.  Whether he spends another day in prison won't change that.  I believe he is truly remorseful for his actions.  Therefore, I can forgive him.

I pity the man to. I pity him for being a dumb, uneducated, redneck! Yeah, Yeah, I know. People can't be held responsible for their plight in life. But people make choices. I know a lot of people that are not very educated, but have worked hard and made good choices in their life. They are not rich in a "worldly" sense, but they have a rich and productive life. When I look at 75% of the bammers out there I see H.updyke. It is sad. Everyone makes choices in there life everyday. One minute they are laughing and bragging about something they did to hurt or embarass someone and or destroy something of worth to someone. Then all of a sudden their world is turned upside down because they did something stupid that actually cauesed pain and grief to aperson or a "Family". Yeah, they are sad and remorseful, but it's too late. The dastardly deed is done and there is a price to pay. In  h. updyke's case he laughed and then apologized to the bammer nation on a number of occasions and it wasn't until he realized that he was really goining to have to pay the piper with jail time that he has asked for forgiveness from the Auburn Family. Yeah I pity him. I'll even forgive him, but I hope his jail time is hard time. And remember, the only reason the mainstream bammers have disowned him is because, for his deeds committed, the bammer nation will ALWAYS BE the UPDYKE NATION! And I venture to say that upon his death, there will be a statue raised somewhere on the t-town campus in his honor

WDE FORVER. By the way If you remember last year an artist (Auburn Grad) that drew a picture of Tiger and sold it to raise money for the raptor center. Well he has just finished a drawing of the Oks at Toomers and is selling it for $275.00 and a portion of the money is going to the tree fund. I bought mine this past Wednesday and it is a beautiful drayin. I'll always remember the trees just as he has drawn them .

WDE        :zapbama: 

He's just a hapless Gump.  "Hapless Harvey".  I still think it would be justice served if he was sentenced to wear a Cam #2 jersey and be forced to clean up the TP at Toomer's for a season.  Or two.  By himself or "hisself" as he would say.

I read the article yesterday as well.

Personally, I do not think he has suffered enough and I want him to do jail time. His apology has come ten months after the act, after saying forever he did not think he did anything wrong and was not sorry. Now the reality of the punishment he is looking at has set in. It is the old saying the thief is not sorry he stole, he is sorry he got caught. Does anyone think he would be "sorry" if he had not been caught? Hell no. He would still think it is funny and he was some sort of gump hero.

Sorry if I come across as harsh. I am still not in an especially forgiving mood regarding updyke.

That said, I can soften my stance some, but I still want him to sit in jail for at least a few years.

He had his chance to apologize months ago and he took it --

He apologized to The University of Alabama and the fanbase for making them look bad.

Any apology that came after that was manufactured by those hoping for leniency.  They realized the mistake he made in continuing to show his hatred for Auburn by purposefully leaving them out when he got his first interview on fbaum.

In my opinion, his only regret is that he bragged on the radio and got caught.

The absolute last person I need telling me how I should feel on this subject is Paul Finebaum. I will decide how I move on and when.

I pity the man to. I pity him for being a dumb, uneducated, redneck! Yeah, Yeah, I know. People can't be held responsible for their plight in life. But people make choices. I know a lot of people that are not very educated, but have worked hard and made good choices in their life. They are not rich in a "worldly" sense, but they have a rich and productive life. When I look at 75% of the bammers out there I see H.updyke. It is sad. Everyone makes choices in there life everyday. One minute they are laughing and bragging about something they did to hurt or embarass someone and or destroy something of worth to someone. Then all of a sudden their world is turned upside down because they did something stupid that actually cauesed pain and grief to aperson or a "Family". Yeah, they are sad and remorseful, but it's too late. The dastardly deed is done and there is a price to pay. In  h. updyke's case he laughed and then apologized to the bammer nation on a number of occasions and it wasn't until he realized that he was really goining to have to pay the piper with jail time that he has asked for forgiveness from the Auburn Family. Yeah I pity him. I'll even forgive him, but I hope his jail time is hard time. And remember, the only reason the mainstream bammers have disowned him is because, for his deeds committed, the bammer nation will ALWAYS BE the UPDYKE NATION! And I venture to say that upon his death, there will be a statue raised somewhere on the t-town campus in his honor

WDE FORVER. By the way If you remember last year an artist (Auburn Grad) that drew a picture of Tiger and sold it to raise money for the raptor center. Well he has just finished a drawing of the Oks at Toomers and is selling it for $275.00 and a portion of the money is going to the tree fund. I bought mine this past Wednesday and it is a beautiful drayin. I'll always remember the trees just as he has drawn them .

WDE        :zapbama: 

I'm interested...link? 

maybe the best paul has written in a while. but i think he does need a few months in the slammer. or at least have him report to jail every friday night to be released every sunday morning during football season for the next 2 seasons. he is not appologetic enough to walk he needs to hurt for a while, but paul is right he is not violent, just stupid and in need of discipline like a 10 year old.

maybe the best paul has written in a while. but i think he does need a few months in the slammer. or at least have him report to jail every friday night to be released every sunday morning during football season for the next 2 seasons. he is not appologetic enough to walk he needs to hurt for a while, but paul is right he is not violent, just stupid and in need of discipline like a 10 year old.

I tend to agree, the article was well written, but I disagree with most of it.  Punishing him will serve 2 purposes, it will punish Updyke for being, well an Updyke...plus it will help deter other Updykes (on both sides of the aisle).  In my opinion, the actions of Updyke are not too far removed from the crap that took place between Dodgers and Giants fans a few months back or the Updyke who stabbed a bunch of frat guys in AU a few yrs ago.  What Harvey did was malicious and destructive and he needs to be punished.  His actions would likely lead to worse reactions down the road, and it needs to be stopped and an example needs to be made.

A few months?  I hope the SOB rots in prison!

[I tend to agree, the article was well written, but I disagree with most of it.  Punishing him will serve 2 purposes, it will punish Updyke for being, well an Updyke...plus it will help deter other Updykes (on both sides of the aisle).  In my opinion, the actions of Updyke are not too far removed from the crap that took place between Dodgers and Giants fans a few months back or the Updyke who stabbed a bunch of frat guys in AU a few yrs ago.  What Harvey did was malicious and destructive and he needs to be punished.  His actions would likely lead to worse reactions down the road, and it needs to be stopped and an example needs to be made.

I fully agree with these comments.  Forgiving him is totally different than him going unpunished. If he gets no punishment, I am afraid there will be more updykes rising for their days of fame on pf clown show--then what will they destroy or kill next?

Haven't read the story and won't, it has no bearing on the actual situation beyond and after Updykes many calls to PF.

A person seeking forgiveness for his actions in no way mitigates the need for his punishment to be served when his actions are a crime.

In a perfect justice world, shouldn't both of these things be what we are seeking? The person has seen the error of his actions, then asks for forgiveness and serves the punishment for those actions.

Don't post much but have a question. Finebaum mentions updykes career as a state trooper. how do we know he was an honorable trooper? most are but was he a profiler, did he stop more women than men. somebody get a statement from the texas dept of public about his career. maybe PF already has but share it with us.... just sayin....

As an attorney, I've found that telling the prosecutor that your client is sorry hasn't kept the prosecutor or judge from throwing him in jail.  I forgive Updyke.  I really do.  In the grand scheme of life, it really isn't that big of a deal.  

Llet's be honest.  He's not sorry it happened.  He's sorry he got caught.  He still holds anger for the people he calls the "Auburn haters."  He's just afraid of the punishment.  And he should be.

:thumbsup::laugh: :laugh: :thumbsup:

He's just a hapless Gump.  "Hapless Harvey".   I still think it would be justice served if he was sentenced to wear a Cam #2 jersey and be forced to clean up the TP at Toomer's for a season.   Or two.  By himself or "hisself" as he would say.

Dansby, I just posted a link to the pictures on Auburn Football

I find Finebaum's article both hypocritical and self-serving.  Mainly he is hyping his own role in the story to a broader audience.  Then, after using up Updyke for his own publicity and promotion through three phone calls and the attendant mockery, he turns around and asks for pity for the man.  This definitely fails the stink test.

I think good punishment for harvey would be to require him to buy season tickets to Auburn football game for the next five years and use them. Make him attend all home games for five years dressed in orange and blue. Make him lead the team out on the field for one sec game each of those five years. Make him spend that much time at the place he seems to hate the most.

I say take him apart one joint at a time. Maybe turn him over to the Apache women. He'll be damned sorry he even saw Auburn's oaks! ;):)

This just shows that Finebaum will defend all things bammer no matter how vile the act is.  If an Auburn person had of committed a hate crime on this level Finebaum would be using it to mock Auburn and would attempt to boost his own ratings by making the trial the biggest circus possible. 

But for alabama he goes out of his way to defend the eco terrorist and then attempts to make it sound like the common gump fan didn't approve which is just more propaganda & and another bama lie.  I despise Paul Finebaum more and more every time he opens his mouth.  I wish his income tax records could be made public.  I would love to know how much the REC has "loaned" him over the years vs what Cecil Hurt was caught taking.

Archived