ROB CHUBB most valuable player

JwgreDeux

Despite many's opinion that Chubb is the problem, statistics show that he is the most valuable player for Auburn to have on the court: 

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/01/auburn_basketball_by_the_numbe.html

while you can never rely on statistics, I think this paints a pretty accurate picture, i.e. Chubb and Gabriel are our most important guys and Ward really needs to step it up. 

Chubb has an important role for sure....but I don't think I'd go that far. He needs to work on his ball handling skills.

I think KG and FS are our most valuable guys.

I'm concerned that the plus-minus stats don't paint an entirely accurate picture.  They do meter bottom-line success relative to a player's overall game minutes, but where is the reflection of butterfinger turnovers late in games, or missed shots at critical times in games?  Sure, he has done some goot things for stretches of time and for AU runs, but in critical times, i.e. the 1st 5 and last 5 minutes of each half, I dare say he's struggled with foul trouble, had turnover issues, and has missed key shots.  I think this is a case where overall stats are misleading.  But I will say that CTB would agree that Chubbster is a key cog in Auburn's attack, and without him playing well, AU won't have a chance at much more success this year.

Frankie's the most valuable player, because he has the experience and stroke to lead the way.  He had a rough stretch, as did the whole team, but their new-found defensive execution has brought more confidence.  Feed the Frank.

|---TOTAL---|                |----REBOUNDS----|

## Player        P-GS  Min--Avg  FG-FGA  Pct  FT-FTA  Pct  Off Def  Tot  Avg  PF FO  A  TO Blk Stl  Pts  Avg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

41 Chubb, Rob...20-20 494  24.7  76-168  .452  32-43  .744  36  65  101    5.1  64  3  22  47  20  6  184  9.2

Conf  Only..  6-6    173  28.8  16-45  .356    8-13  .615  17  24  41    6.8  20  1  7    19  3  1  40  6.7

These are the most telling to me.  The TO are too high and the Assists and blocks are too low for a Center.  Rebounds should be higher, therefore his poit totals would be higher. 

Chubb is a tall kid with decent basketball skills who has worked very hard and improved. At this time he is our only real Center as Forbes plays hard but should realy be a power forward and Koussai is to thin at this time (I expect him to be much bigger and better next year). We will live and die with Chubb this year.

Despite his shortcomings he has worked hard improved every year and plays hard but not always affectively hence foul trouble.  Next year I expect him to ba little better and hopefully he can become what he always should have been a real solid backup center.

I applaud all his hard work and I think most people forget what a project he was when he first came to Auburn and that I believe has exceeded most expectations for him.  Barbee has taken a player who probably should have been a Div II player and made him into a decent center at the Div I level.

War Eagle Chubb and keep working hard.

Just to clarify my position.... ;)

I do support Rob Chubb, and all of his hard work to make improvements. He is indeed a work in progress, and I wish him much success in honing his basketball skills.  He is an Auburn Tiger...and that's enough for me.

Chubb is a tall kid with decent basketball skills who has worked very hard and improved. At this time he is our only real Center as Forbes plays hard but should realy be a power forward and Koussai is to thin at this time (I expect him to be much bigger and better next year). We will live and die with Chubb this year.

Despite his shortcomings he has worked hard improved every year and plays hard but not always affectively hence foul trouble.  Next year I expect him to ba little better and hopefully he can become what he always should have been a real solid backup center.

I applaud all his hard work and I think most people forget what a project he was when he first came to Auburn and that I believe has exceeded most expectations for him.  Barbee has taken a player who probably should have been a Div II player and made him into a decent center at the Div I level.

War Eagle Chubb and keep working hard.

Nice perspective.

Help me please.  I'm not a big basketball guy.  But is there a more inconsistent player in the league than Chubb.  Tonight fouls out with 2 points and three turnovers against a horrible offensive team.  The last game I watched he picked up two personals in the first 40 seconds of the game.  How do you make a veteran big man become consistent?

The reason Chubb is the most valuable is because we don't have another player to fill his spot.  He is not our best player, but Wallace can (and has) replaced Ward at times and been productive, other guards and wings can play in different combinations to try and replace Sullivan or Gabriel if they are having an off night, but we don't have another big to plug in for Chubb.  That fact is enforced by Kowassi's disappearance since league play began.  Simple fact is we can't replace him.

Does he need to improve? YES.  Is he an all american? Far from it.  Is he inconsistent and prone to foul trouble? YES, but we don't have anyone else who can fill his shoes.

Last night we beat Georgia despite Chubb's foul trouble and poor game, this is the first league game we won under these circumstances.  The offense was terrible and the only thing that saved us was a logic defying performance from the free throw line.  Without that we would have lost to the worst team in the league at home.

chubb has got to stop trying to dribble the ball ... big men should never put the ball on the floor ... either shoot, fake/shoot or pass ... nothing else ... and oh,yea - hit the glass like a crazy man!  i like chubb and am proud for him at the effort he obviously put in during the off season, but he needs to play more pissed off.

we are going to need him tomorrow vs MSU.  State is huge up front, and we will need everything Chubb has to stay in this game. 

Archived