Florida Game

AU0188

Not enough depth to get by without Gabriel...and I guess Langford must be out for the rest of the season?   JMO, but cmments like "were bad" show a lack of understaning about the team.  They are a mid level SEC team capable of beating some teams and certainly they gave Kentucky , Ark, LSU and some others all they wanted.   Very little scoring punch under the best of conditions and all would have to go perfect for us to beat a team like UF...especially on the road.  

Patience people ....some better players are on the way.

:we:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you can blame Chubb if you want...but even if he was a great player, as a center...he is going to do nothing to stop UF's 3's.  They hit threes and we hit some twos...then we couldn't hit. been that way most of the year. gotta have some offense.

Not enough depth to get by without Gabriel...and I guess Langford must be out for the rest of the season?   JMO, but cmments like "were bad" show a lack of understaning about the team.  They are a mid level SEC team capable of beating some teams and certainly they gave Kentucky , Ark, LSU and some others all they wanted.   Very little scoring punch under the best of conditions and all would have to go perfect for us to beat a team like UF...especially on the road.  

Barbee's record at UTEP improved 3-4 games every year he was there.  After all those years studying at Calipari's right hand, and the impressive record at UTEP and  I fully expect Auburn be close to 20 wins next year and over 20 the next.

you can blame Chubb if you want...but even if he was a great player, as a center...he is going to do nothing to stop UF's 3's.  They hit threes and we hit some twos...then we couldn't hit. been that way most of the year. gotta have some offense.

I agree, but if Chubb at least had 5 or more rebounds, that could have changed the whole game and not have given Florida another chance that could turn into 3 pts. Bottom line: if Chubb was more physical and got more boards, the game would've been a lot closer. 

You can't place all the blame on Chubb but he has to take his share of the blame.  His game is not suited for D1.  Our shooting at less than 30% will not win many games in the SEC.  We missed or had blocked at least a dozen shots from under the basket.  

I don't know about it changing the whole game...they did not need many rebounds to drop their threes...but, yes, if we had a more dominant center...offensively and defensively...we would certainly be a better ball club.  Offensive put backs would certainly impact things. But our deficiencies go beyond the center position. If we only have a good center...opposing coaches/teams can shut him down/foul him out....we have got to have some consistent jump shooters that can hit shots with some regularity. Sullivan has shown it at times, as has Denson and Gabriel....but rarely have all three been on at the same time..or lasted the whole game...even when they are "on".  Just looking for improvement from game to game and hope the "great recruiting class" can positively impact us next year.

If we were a mid-level SEC team right now, we'd all be jumping for joy.  :laugh: At 4-9 and 2nd from last in the conference, I'd say we are a little ways from being mid-level at this point. I agree with your post though. WDE.

Granted we are 4-9 but there is not much difference in AU, MSU, Bama, LSU, Ark, Ga and USCe.  Just depends on where they are playing and which team is hitting on any given night.  Our achilles heel is the inablilty to play an entire game.....most of the losses, like tonight,  came about because the offense went totally cold for a stretch.   

I hate the griping about Chubb....for better or worse, he is who we have and if anyone could do better, you can bet that Barbee would have him in there.  Chubb has his problems but he is not too bad at neutralizin the other team's big guys and keeping them away from the basket....probably better than his stats indicate and fits the game that Barbee has to play this year with a 2-3 zone most of the time.  He gives it his best and that's all we can ask. 

Granted we are 4-9 but there is not much difference in AU, MSU, Bama, LSU, Ark, Ga and USCe.  Just depends on where they are playing and which team is hitting on any given night.  Our achilles heel is the inablilty to play an entire game.....most of the losses, like tonight,  came about because the offense went totally cold for a stretch.    

I hate the griping about Chubb....for better or worse, he is who we have and if anyone could do better, you can bet that Barbee would have him in there.  Chubb has his problems but he is not too bad at neutralizin the other team's big guys and keeping them away from the basket....probably better than his stats indicate and fits the game that Barbee has to play this year with a 2-3 zone most of the time.   He gives it his best and that's all we can ask. 

I couldn't say it better myself.

Also, 3720...... Westie was asking you politely about the negativity just spewing out of your fingers. The game was an hour and 34 minutes strong and YOU decided to post. Yes, it is your right but please be a bIT more educated before posting that crap......"were bad"......  Uhhhh did you watch a game in the Jeff lebo era? That was bad. Barbee has these kids playing WELL right now..... And it's only getting better. Take that non-educated negativity To the al.com boards.

WDE

I hate the griping about Chubb....for better or worse, he is who we have and if anyone could do better, you can bet that Barbee would have him in there.  Chubb has his problems but he is not too bad at neutralizin the other team's big guys and keeping them away from the basket....probably better than his stats indicate and fits the game that Barbee has to play this year with a 2-3 zone most of the time.   He gives it his best and that's all we can ask. 

Nice post. You summed it up very well.

I was there for the Cliff Ellis days and we were good.  I really miss those days.  We usually had a pro prospect every year as well. They didn't always stick around or work out in the NBA, but the talent level was there.  Lebo was a disaster.  He took a good program and trashed it.  He couldn't recruit worth a flip and if he did get a highly sought after prospect they just about all either didn't qualify or transferred out.  Players didn't like him.  We never had a prototypical post presence and played small ball every year. It was terrible.  Barbee seems like he has some promise but it all comes down to recruiting and we cant have players with Chubb's level of play starting. Chubb has some talent but he is just over matched at this level.  Last night was beyond frustrating watching him get pushed out/blocked out on every rebound.  The times he did get a hand on the ball he either got it slapped away from him or he tipped it to Florida.  Not sure that lost us the game last night but I have seen him lose the game for Auburn almost by himself ala' the LSU game.  There were others where he played a big part in the loss, but that LSU game was brutal watching him the last ten mins of regulation AND during OT. 

Who do you recommend to put in chubbs place?

Forbes. He played very well last night. You could also play Kouassi more and get him a lot of SEC experience while our season is already gone pretty much.

We were in the game last night until kenny got hurt. I've seen a real difference in this team over the last few games. However, we aren't at the point we can overcome the loss of a key player. With the class we have coming in next year I think we'll turn the corner and see a real change in the level of play.

Who do you recommend to put in chubbs place?

Forbes. He played very well last night. You could also play Kouassi more and get him a lot of SEC experience while our season is already gone pretty much.

Yep.  And after some of the stat lines I've seen of Chubb's, I'm wondering why Kouassi doesn't play more.  Surely he can do better than Chubb.  Maybe not much better, but sometimes it feels like Chubb has money on the other team.

I think Kouassi is going to be special in the comming years. As difficult as it was to watch, I believe Coach Barbee is building a what can be a good Auburn Basketball program for the future. It will take some time, as we new it would.

:believe:

Bottom line IMHO is that Coach B should put in either Kouassi or Forbes for the majority of the game.  Start Forbes and bring in Chubbs and Kouassi off the bench to give Forbes a breather.  Im not a coach, Im not at practice, and I dont pretend to know anything close to what our coaches know about basketball, but I do watch every Auburn game and I have a brain.  My brain tells me there needs to be a change at center. I pull for Chubbs, i really do. He just needs more work to get to the level at which he could be productive in the SEC.  If you dont agree, before you say I am wrong during the next Auburn game disregard everyone else and just watch Chubbs.  Then come back and tell me what you think.  Anyway, Auburn's b ball team is really really close to being good.  Not great but good.  They were really close this season to winning quite a few of the games they lost.  They lack just a couple more skilled players to have the talent level and depth to be competitive with everyone in the league except UK.  No one is close to UK and no team in the SEC will be close as long as Coach Cal is there!

Archived