For the Chubb critics ... and supporters

ShugFan

Let the debate heat up!

The numbers make it clear: Auburn is better with Rob Chubb on the court

Who is statistically the most efficient and effective player on Auburn's roster?

If you've been following these statistics for most of the year, the answer isn't a surprise. If this is the first time you've seen our self-calculated plus-minus statistics, the answer may be a jaw-dropper.

Rob Chubb.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2012/03/the_numbers_make_clear_auburn.html

Imagine how much better he could be if he brought back the fro.

chubb.jpg

Seriously though I think it shows how important it is to have an offensive threat in the low post. He is also a very good defender and our best screener. If he could somehow improve his hands he could be one of the better Center's in the conference.

Anybody that thinks Chubb is one of our best players might need to go to some sort of mental institution.. That is all.

right. but he does have considerable value.

Anybody that thinks Chubb is one of our best players might need to go to some sort of mental institution.. That is all.

He's second on the team in rebounding, top 4-5 in scoring, number one in free throw percentage and the team as a whole performs better with him ON the court. 

So, unless you define "one of our best" as ONE guy, I definitely disagree with you.

He's second on the team in rebounding, top 4-5 in scoring, number one in free throw percentage and the team as a whole performs better with him ON the court. 

So, unless you define "one of our best" as ONE guy, I definitely disagree with you.

He is also probably the team's leader in turnovers, and stats don't tell the story especially when the game is on the line.

What this stat really shows imo is that right now we don't have a big man that can back Chubb up. I think he gets a little more grief than he deserves because his mistakes are so glaring and his contributions are often not as eye catching. At the same time, watching him drop passes and throw balls away is very frustrating. Personally, I think that he is a decent player that would be in a back-up role on a healthy roster. As it is, he is the starter and the people backing him up just aren't really ready to play yet. He is definitely our best center right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if next year a stronger, better Koussai will either take his spot or give him the backup that our team needs to be successful.

What this stat really shows imo is that right now we don't have a big man that can back Chubb up. I think he gets a little more grief than he deserves because his mistakes are so glaring and his contributions are often not as eye catching. At the same time, watching him drop passes and throw balls away is very frustrating. Personally, I think that he is a decent player that would be in a back-up role on a healthy roster. As it is, he is the starter and the people backing him up just aren't really ready to play yet. He is definitely our best center right now, but it wouldn't surprise me if next year a stronger, better Koussai will either take his spot or give him the backup that our team needs to be successful.

Agree with this.  He ain't perfect, but he ain't as bad as people say he is either.

Agree with this.   He ain't perfect, but he ain't as bad as people say he is either.

I agree also. And he's an Auburn Tiger.....so I support him!

He is also probably the team's leader in turnovers, and stats don't tell the story especially when the game is on the line.

Turnovers  

Ward 72, Chubb 65, Gabriel 63

One of the few Basketball threads that didn't turn into a pile on Chubb thread. We all know Rob would have never been recruited by CTB and his staff, but to Coach Barbee's credit he saw something there and has worked with Chubb and made him a much better basketball player.  The only criticism some on this board have had for Coach Barbee is he didn't give  Rob his walking papers after his trouble last year. I think it took guts for Coach to reach out and give the kid another chance. From what I've heard RC has got his act together and is more of an Auburn man than a lot of posters.  I for one hope Rob sticks it out next year. I'm sure his role will be diminished as we will be close to all Barbee recruits on the roster.

I'll admit, I have piled on Chubb several times this season.  The team does seem to be better when he is on the court.  Which is somewhat of a mystery because his points are low, his rebounds are low for a Center, he has virtually no blocked shots and his hands are not good.  He does play pretty good defense when he moves his feet.  When he doesn't move his feet, he is in early foul trouble.  I agree that Coach Barbee thinks he is the best we have so I will support him and hope he has a great tourney.   WAR EAGLE!!!

Turnovers  

Yeah but Ward touches the ball a whole lot more than Chubb but i also agree with SWEN mostly. I think Kouassi will be the starter next year with Tatum as the back up. Just cant see Chubb in front of those two if he comes back next year.

Turnovers  

This post makes a ton of sense now. 

I don't see what ya'll see in Kouissi.  Tonight is the first time that I have noticed him in the game and was not terribly impressed.  He does not appear to have the build to put on much weight to be able to be a force down low and I did not see him be aggressive after the ball at all.  Looks like another grey hound built player when we are in need of a gorilla.

I don't see what ya'll see in Kouissi.  Tonight is the first time that I have noticed him in the game and was not terribly impressed.  He does not appear to have the build to put on much weight to be able to be a force down low and I did not see him be aggressive after the ball at all.  Looks like another grey hound built player when we are in need of a gorilla.

He's only been playing basketball for about 3 years.  He will get much better. I have no doubt.

Archived