With the loss of Ladarious Phillips...

tigerboi256

Do we look to sign a true FB for the 2013 class? With the understanding that Prosch will be a senior after this season and that it is VERY difficult for a freshman to come in and start in the SEC at pretty much any position (especially one as physically demanding as fullback), my opinion is we should bring in a fullback for the 2013 signing class. He redshirts, and then takes the reigns after Prosch's senior year. JMO, what say you???

I would expect we will be recruiting a fullback or perhaps two this year. Of course a good TE could also play FB if they can adapt to the position.

If he has an All-American caliber FB like Prosch he will use FB more than he might use the position otherwise.  I think his offense is flexible enough to make best use of his strengths.  :thumbsup:

Actually, no, I don't see this changing anything with regard to recruiting fullback. We'll probably recruit a couple of kids who are strong, somewhat fast, and tough, but lacking of any sexy numbers to make them a highly sought after recruit, and then come signing day if we have a spot open, we offer one of those guys.

Otherwise, I think we don't worry about fullback this year because the numbers are already so low and we are unlikely to use a fullback every down, thus diminishing the need for a pure fullback to back up Prosche (as opposed to allowing one of several talented tight ends to handle the job). Prosche is going to be a redshirt sophomore this year, right? That means we can wait until next recruiting year, when we have more room to play with the numbers.

Red I'm sure you know more about this than I do but I just dont see how we can truly transition into a more "pro-style" offense without some true fullbacks on deck.  Our TEs can block but are they built to lead block up the middle? I know Prosch is a tough, strong kid but even a Juggernaut can get his bell rung in the SEC.  I think we would need at least one more true FB but that's just my highly uneducated opinion.

Red I'm sure you know more about this than I do but I just dont see how we can truly transition into a more "pro-style" offense without some true fullbacks on deck.  Our TEs can block but are they built to lead block up the middle? I know Prosch is a tough, strong kid but even a Juggernaut can get his bell rung in the SEC.  I think we would need at least one more true FB but that's just my highly uneducated opinion.

It was pretty obvious last season that LP was not going to be an effective lead blocker as a FB. 

Not so sure about the above comment....I mean, how many true fullbacks are there in the NFL.?  Of the few that I can name, most only play on selected downs.  Fred Beasley has been in the NFL for ages as a FB and maybe is on the field half a dozen plays a game.  As someone noted above, if Prosch is NCAA approved, the AU offense will have more FB related plays, otherwise, the TEs will bear the load of blocking for running plays which works for most teams. ...and some pulling guards leading the blocking.

Craig Sanders isn't being moved.

We will start recruiting full backs, but there are a lot of ways to go about doing that. I highly doubt that two full backs would be offered scholarships in this class. 

Craig Sanders isn't being moved.

We will start recruiting full backs, but there are a lot of ways to go about doing that. I highly doubt that two full backs would be offered scholarships in this class. 

but...but... I think he should. Maybe MLB? :dunno:

:banghead:

I'm with Jonesy about more than one fullback being offered, obviously. Didn't realize Prosche would be a junior; in that case, the likelihood of signing one is increased, because that will give our new guy a year to mentor under the veteran before having to take over.

As for whether we would need more than one full back to truly convert to a pro style offense, I have two statements in response: 1) pro style offenses utilize two tight ends and a single back at least as often as one tight end and a fullback, and 2) I don't think we are going to "truly convert" to a pro style offense, or at least not in the way that people are thinking. I mean, what is a pro style offense? Is the offense Cam Newton ran last year "pro style"? Or the one that Michael Vick has been running since donning an NFL jersey? Or maybe the spread the field and distribute to playmakers philosophy Peyton Manning has been breaking records with for a decade and a half?

I expect we are going to see a very versatile offense, because I believe Loeffler when he says the whole coaching staff is inputting, not just him telling them how he's going to do things.

What about the possibility of signing OL's who, size-wise might not measure up to play on the OL but could possibly adapt as a blocking FB? Just a thought.

What about the possibility of signing OL's who, size-wise might not measure up to play on the OL but could possibly adapt as a blocking FB? Just a thought.

If they are athletic enough to be able to get out in front of a running play and lead block on a consistent basis, then yes, that is exactly the kind of player the coaches would keep on their radar if signing a fullback is not a high priority. If they decide they do, indeed, want to give a scholarship to a fullback, they may well go hard after someone like Tyler Provo.

There are converted fullbacks and then there are real fullbacks. A player like Prosch, with the mentality of a real fullback, one who takes pride in his craft and has a mean streak, is invaluable in so many ways. If this part of Lefty's  offense is productive, I think we would be better off recruiting a real fullback with the proper skill set to be Prosch's understudy rather than trying to convert a player from another position. Because of our limited numbers, I wouldn't waste the scholarship on anything but a top caliber FB in the same mold of a Prosch. But, if he is out there, I would get him if this position is going to play a major factor in our offense.

If they are athletic enough to be able to get out in front of a running play and lead block on a consistent basis, then yes, that is exactly the kind of player the coaches would keep on their radar if signing a fullback is not a high priority. If they decide they do, indeed, want to give a scholarship to a fullback, they may well go hard after someone like Tyler Provo.

You mean...a guy like...Ladarious Phillips?   :dunno::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

There are converted fullbacks and then there are real fullbacks. A player like Prosch, with the mentality of a real fullback, one who takes pride in his craft and has a mean streak, is invaluable in so many ways. If this part of Lefty's  offense is productive, I think we would be better off recruiting a real fullback with the proper skill set to be Prosch's understudy rather than trying to convert a player from another position. Because of our limited numbers, I wouldn't waste the scholarship on anything but a top caliber FB in the same mold of a Prosch. But, if he is out there, I would get him if this position is going to play a major factor in our offense.

If I recall correctly,l Prosch became a fullback in college. Hardly any HS uses a fullback these days....as we note when looking at QBs in HS, virtually all have spent their HS careers in the shotgun.  There are plenty of guys out there with the "Fullback attitude"...most are called linebackers.....IMO, it's just a matter of identifying the talent and attitude.  LP had the talent....just not the attitude.  If we have the need, we will find the players.

Jay Prosch only played some fullback in short yardage situations  in high school. All State offensive lineman as a junior. As a Senior he was All State Linebacker.

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/prosch_jay00.html

Jay Prosch

"High School: First-team ASWA 4A All-State selection at linebacker as a senior ... Played in the Alabama/Mississippi All-Star game ... Named the 4A Lineman of the Year by the Alabama Sports Writers Association ... Recorded 199 total tackles, 114 solo stops, 16 for loss, five pass breakups and a sack as a senior ... Averaged 15.9 tackles per game ... First-team ASWA 4A All-State selection at offensive line as a junior ... Team captain as a senior ... Used as a fullback in short yardage situations and rushed five times for 16 yards and a touchdown ... Helped lead UMS-Wright Bulldogs to the 4A AHSAA state championship in 2008 ... Mobile Optimist Club Player of the Year ... High school coach was Terry Curtis ... Recorded a 440 bench press and 590 squat"

Actually, more a guy like Prosch; the only thing that ever really made anyone think Phillips could be valuable was his size.

Actually, more a guy like Prosch; the only thing that ever really made anyone think Phillips could be valuable was his size.

And that he could do a standing back flip and dunk a basketball......

And that he could do a standing back flip and dunk a basketball......

I meant more based on what he'd done on the football field, but you're right that his athleticism was a factor in hoping he would work out.

or defensive linemen using the same rationale?

Archived