Auburn vs UGA Game 1

So is it tied 1-1?

Only for the moment. Slade hasn't got his stuff tonight and the Dawgs have loaded the bases with only 1 out.

Wheels coming off again.

Wheels coming off again.

They have a little help with that tonight. It wasn't all AU....that kid was out at first and Slade struck that batter out.

Wheels coming off again.

They have a little help with that tonight. It wasn't all AU....that kid was out at first and Slade struck that batter out.

Belle, please don't take this the wrong way, as I have a lot of respect for you as a poster here. But you make a lot of excuses for these guys. The ball that was called was a borderline pitch. Was it a strike? Probably, but we didn't get the call. That's the price you pay when you start the count 3-0. If you were talking about the play at first that pulled him off the bag, it wasn't even close. He never tagged him. Anyway, my point is, we don't always have bad calls or run into "the hot team of the moment" all the time. Sometimes we just have to look in the mirror and be honest with ourselves and say we just aren't very good. That is the case in this situation.

Could be but four walks and a HB.....and now another error ....team just can't pull itself together against a half decent opponent.   Gave up four runs on just one hit I think...ten batters in the inning.  It's unbelievable to me that after warming up for 15 minutes, the pitchers come in a immediately walk the first batter they face. :dunno:

I respectfully disagree. Jack Cox is terrible at what he does....and it's very well known. It has nothing to do with me being an AU fan. He makes bad calls in every single game he officiates, and the coaches can't stand him. He causes controversy in almost every game he participates in.

I am fully aware that not all the calls go our way, and that the team just has to shake it off. But Jack Cox is not being consistent or fair in calling strikes, and that's what CJP is complaining about. He's right.....the guy is doing a very bad job and it has affected the game.

As far as our team goes....I don't think they are the best we've ever had, but they aren't the worst I've seen either. This team just isn't consistent, and that's the real issue.

I just get sick of all the negativity all the time. Supporting the team is what I do, and that isn't making excuses. Some of you see nothing good or positive in anything, and place blame even when it's not warranted. Sometimes there are bad calls and another team is hot for the moment. That's just the way the game is.

As I was typing this....Jack Cox just screwed up another call at the plate.

Could be but four walks and a HB.....and now another error ....team just can't pull itself together against a half decent opponent.   Gave up four runs on just one hit I think...ten batters in the inning.  It's unbelievable to me that after warming up for 15 minutes, the pitchers come in a immediately walk the first batter they face. :dunno:

Slade threw what would've been strikes for any other guy behind the plate more than a few times. He wasn't at his very best, but he was robbed of a few also. That changed the whole inning for AU.

I respectfully disagree. Jack Cox is terrible at what he does....and it's very well known. It has nothing to do with me being an AU fan. He makes bad calls in every single game he officiates, and the coaches can't stand him. He causes controversy in almost every game he participates in.

I am fully aware that not all the calls go our way, and that the team just has to shake it off. But Jack Cox is not being consistent or fair in calling strikes, and that's what CJP is complaining about. He's right.....the guy is doing a very bad job and it has affected the game.

As far as our team goes....I don't think they are the best we've ever had, but they aren't the worst I've seen either. This team just isn't consistent, and that's the real issue.

I just get sick of all the negativity all the time. Supporting the team is what I do, and that isn't making excuses. Some of you see nothing good or positive in anything, and place blame even when it's not warranted. Sometimes there are bad calls and another team is hot for the moment. That's just the way the game is.

As I was typing this....Jack Cox just screwed up another call at the plate.

Not much to be positive when you can't get hits with runners in scoring position or walking guys in or hitting batters. I can assure you if you asked the players or coaches they'd say the same thing. Just because people point out negatives doesn't mean they aren't supporting the team. It would be different if we were going out and playing fundamentally sound baseball every night and we were just coming up short. That just isn't the case with this team. That's the part that bothers people. We can't get out of our own way long enough to be successful.

Sorry Belle....but I gotta agree wtih AT on this.    Looked like the same team that played Bama I'm afraid.  Agreed, Cox is a bad ump but we had half a dozen guys swinging at balls in the dirt and helped their pitcher throughout the game and Wood was striking out two guys an inning early in the game with help from the AU batters who were just too eager I guess.   

The train wreck inning was helped along by Cox and what appeared to be a missed third strike but that was one pitch and why did he work the count to 3-2 when the bases were loaded?  Frankly the pitchers following JLJ immediately got behind the batters and could not find the plate when it counted.    Smith and his successors never were able to challenge the UGa batters who had enough discipline to lay off the bad stuff in the dirt and outside.  From my observation, when a pitcher is all over the place with pitches, the benefit of the doubt seems to go to the batter who takes a close pitch.

And to that point....is anyone watching these kids warm up before they come into a game in relief....just to see if they have some control?  It's simply amazing to me how they can warm up for 15 minutes or whatever and then come in and hit a batter or walk a couple in a row without getting anyone out.

As for Cox and the umpiring.  It's a crime that a top collegiate baseball conference has such sorry umpiring...and that's not just Cox.....week after week we see bad umpiring...some benefits us and sometimes we are hurt by it but the SEC really needs to improve the quality of officiating in all major sports.

You are all missing the point....and I was talking about this one game....not the entire season or who is to blame for the problems.

I did not say that AU was playing well last night, or that AU didn't share some of the responsibility for putting themselves in the hole. I SAID that the disastrous inning wasn't all their fault.....and it wasn't. That's more the reality than thinking bad calls at the plate did not affect the outcome because you are so intent on blaming AU for everything.  If that batter hadn't been allowed to walk then the inning most likely would've ended a lot differently than it did. Slade couldn't find the elusive strike zone of Jack Cox.....and you cannot put all the blame on Slade while agreeing that Mr. Cox is terrible at the plate. And it WASN'T JUST ONE PITCH.....it was lots of them and that's why CJP had to call him out on it. BTW.... He called our last batter out on an obvious ball. He made a lot of mistakes calling that game and the bad feelings between him and CJP only made it worse for AU.

And although this AU team has some distressing tendencies to make costly errors and leave runners on base, there's still a lot to like about these kids. I choose to do that also instead of constantly criticizing them and CJP. We all know there are issues with the team. You guys are so down on blaming these kids and CJP that you are too far in the other direction all the time.

I love AU baseball. I wish the the team could settle down, and I do not ignore the problems. I just don't let it stop me from enjoying the team and the season because it is college ball after all.

You are all missing the point....and I was talking about this one game....not the entire season or who is to blame for the problems.

I did not say that AU was playing well last night, or that AU didn't share some of the responsibility for putting themselves in the hole. I SAID that the disastrous inning wasn't all their fault.....and it wasn't. That's more the reality than thinking bad calls at the plate did not affect the outcome because you are so intent on blaming AU for everything.  If that batter hadn't been allowed to walk then the inning most likely would've ended a lot differently than it did. Slade couldn't find the elusive strike zone of Jack Cox.....and you cannot put all the blame on Slade while agreeing that Mr. Cox is terrible at the plate. And it WASN'T JUST ONE PITCH.....it was lots of them and that's why CJP had to call him out on it. BTW.... He called our last batter out on an obvious ball. He made a lot of mistakes calling that game and the bad feelings between him and CJP only made it worse for AU.

And although this AU team has some distressing tendencies to make costly errors and leave runners on base, there's still a lot to like about these kids. I choose to do that also instead of constantly criticizing them and CJP. We all know there are issues with the team. You guys are so down on blaming these kids and CJP that you are too far in the other direction all the time.

I love AU baseball. I wish the the team could settle down, and I do not ignore the problems. I just don't let it stop me from enjoying the team and the season because it is college ball after all.

I'll just agree to disagree. I love AU baseball as well, but I'm not going to encourage or applaud mediocrity. Not from our coaches or our players. I expect better.

I also did not say I accepted mediocrity....so don't put words into my post that weren't there.... ;)

Once again...it just is what it is this season. I choose to enjoy what I can.  :we:

Belle, winners make plays, losers make excuses. Since we've been experienced a lot more losing than winning for most of the last 7-8 years, I'd say we're a sorry excuse for a good baseball program right now.

Archived