Coach Barbee needs to speak

benjazz

I'll be honest.  It disturbs me more that CTB is not speaking about our team than all the attrition.  To my knowledge, there has been no comment on our last two signees.  I know he won't talk about the dismissed players, but some assurances through Auburn friendly media would be a boost to alumni moral and probably ticket sales.

That's my opinion.  As always your mileage may vary

WDE!!!

He's busy searching high and low for better players. I think you'd agree that is time well spent.

I'm not sure what he could say right now that would make people feel better. It happens--some kids do stupid stuff, repeatedly, others are simply victims to the self-interest of their "family."

Coach Barbee is smart and he's a big boy. He knows that regardless of the circumstances, he cannot have this kind of attrition every year. He's working hard to raise the talent level because that is the program's biggest issue today.

WDE!

His "job" is to be what Lebo wasn't which is to be the face of the program among his other duties.  And the " he's too busy" excuse wont cut it.  If I have an hour for the Auburn Development Office to come to my office and see me about making a contribution to build the new $10 million marching band facility, Barbee has 30 minutes to give an interview with Phillip Marshall or Bill Cameron or someone similar.  And let me assure you I don't make $1.5 million per year!  I agree that winning puts people in seats, but we havent done a lot of that and a couple of words from him might help that ticket sales thing along until we do.  At least give us a little more on the role he sees for the two newest players where there is more than uneducated message board speculation.

I'd rather him be out trying to make Auburn Basketball (the team, not the poster on this site) better....but to each their own. 

When trying to rebuild a program from the ground up. Sometimes coaches do need to go a little further with speaking engagement or two to help sell tickets. I agree with the comment that winning fills seats. To win though you have to recruit and one thing that helps sell a recruit is the atmosphere when we have a full arena and we are rocking the place.

The recent attrition is probably more to bad luck then anything Auburn or Barbee did but because of it there is some worry in the Auburn family that could impact ticket sales. So a quick Gipper type speach wouldn't hurt and might help sell enough seats to help us recruit one or two players that are on the edge.

Unlike football one or two key players can change a program overnight. 

I'll be honest.  It disturbs me more that CTB is not speaking about our team than all the attrition.  To my knowledge, there has been no comment on our last two signees.  I know he won't talk about the dismissed players, but some assurances through Auburn friendly media would be a boost to alumni moral and probably ticket sales.

That's my opinion.  As always your mileage may vary

WDE!!!

You don`t and won`t get much info out of Auburn during on most any sport in the summer time; never have and probably never will. What assurances do you need? I think he is busting his rump out recruiting and seeing players at tourneys and camps. You will hear later because most of this stuff ends in July. Plenty of time to talk then before practice starts in Oct. All the guys will be on campus by July too I think so there will be more to say. I would like to hear more as well but not fluff; something os substance which is hard to come by at present. JMO

His "job" is to be what Lebo wasn't which is to be the face of the program among his other duties.  And the " he's too busy" excuse wont cut it.  If I have an hour for the Auburn Development Office to come to my office and see me about making a contribution to build the new $10 million marching band facility, Barbee has 30 minutes to give an interview with Phillip Marshall or Bill Cameron or someone similar.  And let me assure you I don't make $1.5 million per year!  I agree that winning puts people in seats, but we havent done a lot of that and a couple of words from him might help that ticket sales thing along until we do.  At least give us a little more on the role he sees for the two newest players where there is more than uneducated message board speculation.

Yeah, he is the face of the program. He's working his tail off to make it better. Did you notice he's going after another 7 footer? Having that kind of size really makes a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

A good basketball program can make a difference to a recruit sometimes.  I have wished that we had one of the best basketball programs and we know we have one of the best football  programs.  What is it going to take for this to happen.  Just seems like we talk about rebuilding our basketball program every year.  It would be awesome to have both of these programs to be in the elite.  If recruits come and see the fans going crazy at a basketball game a recruit will see man these fans are some big supporters of this program I cant wait to see the football fans

Loved that interview don't know if he said all that to calm down the faithfull, don't know if it was coach speak, what I do know is for whatever reason deep down in my gut I believe him and we will be better than what everybody (Myself included) have predicted for next year.

For those who wanted him to speak up. 

HE HAS  :wareagle:

Archived