Football Rules and some Interpretations

WarTiger

A few of the AUF folks know that I'm a high school football official down here in Florida. I thought it would be a good thing to review some play situations and help give the casual fan a better understanding of why it was done the way it was done.

This is not done to rehash judgement calls or the officiating in the SEC sucks or whatever mantra the fans tell themselves. NO officiating crew is perfect and they all make mistakes. I thought it would be a refreshing thing to talk about the rule interpretations. I would also like to suggest some of you to submit a play that you are unsure of or question why they ruled this way or that way and I'll find the rule reference. Here are a few plays from previous years.

One important thing to remember when watching a game on TV, is to never take the announcers word for it. It doesn't matter if they are commentators or even former coaches. They are wrong way more often than they are right when they talk about a rule and its application.

So let's look at a few:

Play one: LSU / North Carolina. North Carolina scored late in the game and set up an onside kick. During the kick the kicking team hit the receiving team player after the ball had traveled approx. 8 yards or so. Miles was furious over it and rightly so.

Here is the rule that Miles was upset over:

On a free kick: When the ball is kicked:

g. No Team A player may block an opponent until Team A is eligible to touch a

free-kicked ball [s19].

It has nothing to do with where the block was. It has to do with the block occurring while the ball was in the neutral zone for a free kick. Thus, Team K was not eligible to touch the ball at that point.

The problem came from the covering official not recognizing the contact. (How he missed it I'll never know). But the replay system in place is not there to throw flags or penalize a team after the fact. Unfortunately since the covering official didn't throw the flag nothing could be done.

They missed this call, IMO but the replay system does not allow them to correct it.

Play 2 Auburn at Mississippi State. MSU has the ball around the 1 or 2 yard line. Down and distance don't matter here, but I think it was 3rd down. Anyway, the MSU player takes the handoff and gets hit around the 1 yard line. He fumbles the ball forward into the endzone where MSU recovers it for a touchdown. Many Auburn fans were b****ing that the call was BS because you can't fumble the ball forward. Well, that is totally FALSE.

The only time a team can't recover a ball that is fumbled forward is on 4th down and even then if the same player that fumbles recovers it, the ball remains where it was recovered. If a player OTHER than the fumbler recovers in advance of the fumble it comes back to the spot of the fumble. The only other time the offense doesn't get the benefit of a fumble that went forward is one that went out of bounds. In those cases the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble.

j. When, before a change of team possession on fourth down or a try, a

Team A fumble is caught or recovered by a Team A player other than the

fumbler (Rules 7-2-2-a and -b and 8-3-2-d-5).

Rule 7-2 - Caught or Recovered

On fourth down before a change of team possession, when a Team

A fumble is caught or recovered by a Team A player other than the

fumbler, the ball is dead. If the catch or recovery is beyond the spot

of the fumble, the ball is returned to the spot of the fumble. If the

catch or recovery is behind the spot of the fumble, the ball remains

at the spot of the catch or recovery.

Play 3: Clemson at Auburn:

Auburn with possession on between the 25-30 yard line (i think). Pass is thrown towards the sideline. Pass is intercepted by a Clemson defender at their own 1 yard line and his momentum takes him a step into the endzone and out the side of the endzone. Where do you spot the ball??

Answer: Spot the ball at the 1 yard line. Why?

Rule 8-5 exception:

When a Team B player intercepts a forward pass, fumble or backward

pass or catches a scrimmage or free kick between his five-yard line

and the goal line and the ball carrier’s original momentum carries

him into the end zone, where the ball is declared dead in his team’s

possession, the ball belongs to Team B at the spot where the pass or

fumble was intercepted or the kick was caught (A.R. 8-5-1-V-VII).

An intercepted pass or fielded scrimmage kick will NEVER be a touchback unless physically CAUGHT in the endzone. If the player catches the ball OUTSIDE the 5 yard line (say the 6) and he ends up in the endzone and is tackled there, this will result in a safety.

Play 4

Boise State vs. Virginia Tech:

VT QB scrambles to avoid a sack. As a result during his scrambling, he uses a hand to maintain his balance. Well. after that, he uses the hand that is holding the ball to maintain his balance. Should this play be blown dead at this point??

Answer NO. The Ball is declared Dead when: Rule 4-1-3b

b. When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except his hand or foot, touches

the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses

possession of the ball as he contacts the ground with any part of his

body, except his hand or foot [Exception: The ball remains alive when

an offensive player has simulated a kick or is in position to kick the ball

held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or

advanced by rule] (A.R. 4-1-3-I).

The player with the ball, can actually touch the ball to the field of play to maintain his balance provided he maintains possession. If in the process of putting his hand on the field, he loses possession, this is a FUMBLE. This destroys the myth that the ground cannot cause a fumble. The player is NOT down by rule, so the ground clearly caused the ball to become loose. Free ball.

Please follow up and post some plays you've seen and have questions about. This will help us all have a better understanding of the rules and the procedures followed behind enforcing them. I do NOT know everything there is to know, but with 23 years of experience I think I bring a lot to the table in this area. Believe me, I see Auburn fans EVERY frickin' game hollaring that is BS, this is BS, when all along the official got the call right, yet they fail to believe it even when shown the rule reference. I'm also not afraid to tell you when I think they screwed up. I've seen several things that I am 99% sure they screwed up.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, thanks.

By the way, you cleared up a play that has been bothering me:

The player with the ball, can actually touch the ball to the field of play to maintain his balance provided he maintains possession. If in the process of putting his hand on the field, he loses possession, this is a FUMBLE. This destroys the myth that the ground cannot cause a fumble. The player is NOT down by rule, so the ground clearly caused the ball to become loose. Free ball.

I think it was in the SEC Championship game a while ago (Arky v Tenn), when the Arkansas QB was scrambling around, touched the ball on the ground, and it came out and was recovered by Tennessee. I was wondering why that was ruled a fumble, since clearly the ground caused it. Now I know.

1 addition to the forward fumble WT. If the ball goes out of bounds in the endzone then it is a turnover and the opposing team gets the ball at their own 20 instead of the offense getting the ball at the spot of the fumble. Example, Mark Ingram fumble in the 2010 Iron Bowl.

1 addition to the forward fumble WT. If the ball goes out of bounds in the endzone then it is a turnover and the opposing team gets the ball at their own 20 instead of the offense getting the ball at the spot of the fumble. Example, Mark Ingram fumble in the 2010 Iron Bowl.

I didn't mention that because I think that rule is pretty well known and understood. I was trying to focus on some more obscure stuff that maybe doesn't happen as often.

Here's one that confuses me. When a player has the ball, taking it to the endzone, goes airborn, but crosses the plane "out of bounds." I've heard the announcers many times say that the goal line extends infinitely. I've heard others say that the ball has to at least touch the pylon. Which is it?!

I agree, thanks.

I think it was in the SEC Championship game a while ago (Arky v Tenn), when the Arkansas QB was scrambling around, touched the ball on the ground, and it came out and was recovered by Tennessee. I was wondering why that was ruled a fumble, since clearly the ground caused it. Now I know.

That is because a player is only ruled down when any part of his body hits the ground other than his feet or hands or forward progress deemed stopped. Only his feet and I believe his non throwing hand touched the ground therefore the ball was live and fumble was ruled.

I didn't mention that because I think that rule is pretty well known and understood. I was trying to focus on some more obscure stuff that maybe doesn't happen as often.

ok. I still have people ask me about that one so I thought I would clarify.

Here's one that confuses me. When a player has the ball, taking it to the endzone, goes airborn, but crosses the plane "out of bounds." I've heard the announcers many times say that the goal line extends infinitely. I've heard others say that the ball has to at least touch the pylon. Which is it?!

The goal line used to extend infinitely outside the field of play, but that rule was changed a few years ago. Now the goal line extends on to the pylons and includes the pylons. Here's the definition for Goal Line:

Goal Lines

ARTICLE 2. The goal line at each end of the field of play runs between the

sidelines and is part of the vertical plane that separates the end zone from the

field of play. This plane extends between and includes the pylons. The two goal

lines are 100 yards apart. The entire goal line is in the end zone. A team’s goal

line is that which it is defending.

I agree, thanks.

That is because a player is only ruled down when any part of his body hits the ground other than his feet or hands or forward progress deemed stopped. Only his feet and I believe his non throwing hand touched the ground therefore the ball was live and fumble was ruled.

Nope. Look at the 2:50 mark:

Play #2 - AU at UGA in 2005. 4th down - Cox to Devin A. - long pass/run to the UGA 3 or so where the ball is punched loose into the endzone and Courtney Taylor recovers. Ball came back (correctly) to the 3 where AU finally kicks the GW field goal!!! GREAT GAME!!

The goal line used to extend infinitely outside the field of play, but that rule was changed a few years ago. Now the goal line extends on to the pylons and includes the pylons. Here's the definition for Goal Line:

Goal Lines

ARTICLE 2. The goal line at each end of the field of play runs between the

sidelines and is part of the vertical plane that separates the end zone from the

field of play. This plane extends between and includes the pylons. The two goal

lines are 100 yards apart. The entire goal line is in the end zone. A team’s goal

line is that which it is defending.

No wonder I got confused! :slapfh:

Same rule, or different in the NFL?

I agree, thanks.

at the 3.02 mark you can clearly see the football touch the ground and come loose. Exactly what I was talking about in one of those plays above. Free ball.

I agree, thanks.

at the 3.02 mark you can clearly see the football touch the ground and come loose. Exactly what I was talking about in one of those plays above. Free ball.

Exactly! Now I understand. (My 'nope' was directed at Ellitor.)

Interesting stuff, War Tiger.

Questions for you: Can you have pass interference on a screen play behind the line of scrimmage, or can the defensive player tackle the would-be receiver?

What's the deal about a tight end "covering up" a wide receiver? I know you have to have 7 people on the line of scrimmage, but how does an otherwise eligible receiver become ineligible by formation?

Thanks for the info.

Questions for you: Can you have pass interference on a screen play behind the line of scrimmage, or can the defensive player tackle the running back?

What's the deal about a tight end "covering up" a wide receiver? I know you have to have 7 people on the line of scrimmage, but how does an otherwise eligible receiver become ineligible by formation?

Thanks for the info.

Good question! Or even holding on the defense in the same situation?

Here's one the officials royally screwed up last year.

Vanderbilt/Tennessee The game is in OT and Vanderbilt has possession. Down and distance is irrelevant here. On the play, Vanderbilt throws a pass that is intercepted by Tennesee. In his process of catching the ball he is off balance and it is apparent he is down, but he keeps running and advances the ball to the endzone for an apparent Tennessee touchdown. They officials checked the replay and subsequently allowed the TD to stand., Game over tennesee wins. However, they royally screwed the pooch on this one. The replay, CLEARLY shows the covering sideline official blow his whistle (you can hear it on the replay) and he's moving forward waving his arms to stop the clock and mark the spot. He thought that the Tennesse player was down and the play was over. The problem was, he wasn't down. He kept running but the whistle had blown. In the replay process the officials totally ignored the fact that the whistle had blown. By rule that play should have been dead with tennessee in possession and 1st and 10 at the Vanderbilt 25 to begin their OT series. They totally ignored the Inadvertant whistle provision that is in the book. It really irritates me when something is so clearly defined in the book and the officials just totally ignore it. This was one of those cases. It makes no difference at all that the player would have scored regardless. The fact is the whistle blew so the play should be over. Vanderbilt got screwed big time here.... Here is the rule reference for an inadvertant whistle.

Live Ball Becomes Dead

ARTICLE 2. a. A live ball becomes a dead ball as provided in the rules or when

an official sounds his whistle (even though inadvertently) or otherwise signals

the ball dead (A.R. 4-2-1-II and A.R. 4-2-4-I).

b. If an official sounds his whistle inadvertently or otherwise signals the ball

dead during a down (Rules 4-1-3-k and m):

1. When the ball is in player possession, then the team in possession may

elect to put the ball in play where declared dead or repeat the down.

2. When the ball is loose from a fumble, backward pass or illegal pass, then

the team in possession may elect to put the ball in play where possession

was lost or repeat the down (Exception: Rule 12).

3. During a legal forward pass or a free or scrimmage kick, then the ball is

returned to the previous spot and the down repeated (Exception: Rule

12).

4. After Team B gains possession on the try or during an extra period,

then the try is over or the extra-period possession series is ended.

Questions for you: Can you have pass interference on a screen play behind the line of scrimmage, or can the defensive player tackle the would-be receiver?

This is a good one and I even had some shmuck bet me $1000 at a high school game because he was so sure he was right. He wasn't and I'm still waiting for my money. :lol: A pass that is forward but where the WR or RB is behind the line the pass interference rules do not apply. THey only apply to a forward pass BEYOND the neutral zone.

Contact Interference

ARTICLE 9. a. Either Team A or Team B legally may interfere with opponents

behind the neutral zone.

b. Players of either team legally may interfere beyond the neutral zone after the

pass has been touched (A.R. 7-3-9-I).

c. Defensive players legally may contact opponents who have crossed the

neutral zone if the opponents are not in a position to receive a catchable

forward pass.

1. Those infractions that occur during a down in which a forward pass

crosses the neutral zone are pass interference infractions only if the

receiver had the opportunity to receive a catchable forward pass.

2. Those infractions that occur during a down in which a forward pass does

not cross the neutral zone are Rule 9-3-4 infractions and the penalty is

enforced from the previous spot.

d. Pass interference rules apply only during a down in which a legal forward

pass crosses the neutral zone (Rules 2-19-3 and 7-3-8-a and c).

e. Contact by Team B with an eligible receiver involving a personal foul that

interferes with the reception of a catchable pass may be ruled either as

pass interference or as a personal foul with the 15-yard penalty enforced

from the previous spot. Rule 7-3-8 is specific about contact during a pass.

However, if the interference involves an act that ordinarily would result in

disqualification, the fouling player must leave the game.

f. Physical contact is required to establish interference.

Thanks for the info.

Another good question. OK.. Let's say for instance we have our normal 5 down linemen. out to the left we have #43 and outside of him #80. Both of those players are on the line of scrimmage with the other 5 down linemen. in this case, because both #43 and #80 are on the line of scrimmage, #43 is inelligible to catch a forward pass. He's inelligble because he isn't on the end of the line. He is "covered" If #80 were in the backfield, then both would be eligible. Because #80 is up on the line, he's covering up #43 so he can't legally go downfield on a pass. That's an example of how he will be inelligible by formation.

Ok. Here's another one that I saw recently. It's 4th down. Distance doesn't matter here. K is in scrimmage kick (punt) formation. K1 kicks the ball R1 is back for the return and is standing on his 10 yard line. The kick backs him up to the 7 yard line where he catches the punt. His momentum continues going backwards and he is downed in the endzone. OR, he fields the punt at the 4 yard line and his momentum takes him into the endzone where he is downed.

Where do you spot the ball in either case???

Another good question. OK.. Let's say for instance we have our normal 5 down linemen. out to the left we have #43 and outside of him #80. Both of those players are on the line of scrimmage with the other 5 down linemen. in this case, because both #43 and #80 are on the line of scrimmage, #43 is inelligible to catch a forward pass. He's inelligble because he isn't on the end of the line. He is "covered" If #80 were in the backfield, then both would be eligible. Because #80 is up on the line, he's covering up #43 so he can't legally go downfield on a pass. That's an example of how he will be inelligible by formation.

FIFY, as it was confusing the way it read.

FIFY, as it was confusing the way it read.

I fixed it. I'm not sure how the other numbers ended up in the original post.

This is a good one and I even had some shmuck bet me $1000 at a high school game because he was so sure he was right. He wasn't and I'm still waiting for my money. :lol: A pass that is forward but where the WR or RB is behind the line the pass interference rules do not apply. THey only apply to a forward pass BEYOND the neutral zone.

Contact Interference

ARTICLE 9. a. Either Team A or Team B legally may interfere with opponents

behind the neutral zone.

b. Players of either team legally may interfere beyond the neutral zone after the

pass has been touched (A.R. 7-3-9-I).

c. Defensive players legally may contact opponents who have crossed the

neutral zone if the opponents are not in a position to receive a catchable

forward pass.

1. Those infractions that occur during a down in which a forward pass

crosses the neutral zone are pass interference infractions only if the

receiver had the opportunity to receive a catchable forward pass.

2. Those infractions that occur during a down in which a forward pass does

not cross the neutral zone are Rule 9-3-4 infractions and the penalty is

enforced from the previous spot.

d. Pass interference rules apply only during a down in which a legal forward

pass crosses the neutral zone (Rules 2-19-3 and 7-3-8-a and c).

e. Contact by Team B with an eligible receiver involving a personal foul that

interferes with the reception of a catchable pass may be ruled either as

pass interference or as a personal foul with the 15-yard penalty enforced

from the previous spot. Rule 7-3-8 is specific about contact during a pass.

However, if the interference involves an act that ordinarily would result in

disqualification, the fouling player must leave the game.

f. Physical contact is required to establish interference.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks! Interesting stuff.

Here's another issue that comes up from time to time. There were several times while Malzahn was at Auburn that we came out in odd formations. One we would have the center over the ball and the rest toward the sidelines. Some we would split Lee Ziemba (#73) out wide like a WR and he was on the end of the line. Is he eligible to catch a forward pass?? On the play ziemba releases down field a little as the play was supposed to be a screen, so he can legally go down field. However, the screen was well defended so the pass ended up going down field. There was a flag thrown on the play. Penalty? YES, Ineligible man down field.

When this happened, Kirk Herbstreit was doing the game and said ziemba was flagged because he didn't report as eligible. This is ABSOLUTELY COMPLETELY and TOTALLY FALSE. Announcers don't know the rules either.

Ziemba was flagged for being illegally down field because he was ineligible from the very beginning of the play. There is no "reporting" in college football. There is NO tackle eligible play in college football. Ziemba was NEVER an eligible pass receiver in any way shape or form. Why was he ineligible? He was on the end of the line, but he isn't numbered correctly. Since ziemba is #73 he is never eligible to catch a legal forward pass. Here's the rule reference as to who is eligible to touch a legal pass:

Eligibility To Touch Legal Pass

ARTICLE 3. Eligibility rules apply during a down when a legal forward pass is

thrown. All Team B players are eligible to touch or catch a pass. When the ball

is snapped, the following Team A players are eligible:

a. Each player who is in an end position on his scrimmage line and who is

wearing a number other than 50 through 79 (A.R. 7-3-3-I).

b. Each player who is legally positioned as a back wearing a number other than

50 through 79.

c. A player wearing a number other than 50 through 79 in position to receive

a hand-to-hand snap from between the snapper’s legs.

Archived