Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

19 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

A5FAAAF7-FB85-4D3F-98AA-84E7E345C21D_zps

I love this beer. Very solid. Very nice grapefruit finish! 

After a horrible outing last time, my taster seems to be good tonight...like really good.

The pineapple Sculpin is pretty good in its own right.

A bit of advice (thanks, SMB): should you ever buy the habanero Sculpin, blend it 50-50 with either the grapefruit, pineapple or plain Sculpin. Will burn your nose hairs out on its own. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I unfortunately missed out on Hopslam in cans. They sold out in 24 minutes. Too bad. At least I was able to have it on tap this year. 

I would also like to add, for absolutely no reason, that since Terrapin was acquired by Miller, the beer hasn't suffered in the least in terms of quality. 

Wake n Bake is as good as ever. Better than FBS as far as I'm concerned. Creamy and pours like motor oil and upholds all the "breakfast stout" characteristics and not bitter like FBS tends to be(IMO). 

Furthermore, all of their IPA projects seem to hit the mark. Mosaic, Krunkles, Hi5 are all excellent. I was never crazy about Hopsecutioner to begin with, so I haven't tried it since the acquisition. Recreation Ale is a totally flavorful, crushable beer too.*

I'm never in favor of craft selling out to "the man". However, I'm not above drinking said brewery's beer if the quality remains the same(e.g. Bourbon County). 

/End ramble

*Sidenote: perhaps my tastes have changed or perhaps the beers have been getting better. Am I alone in thinking that session brews have come a long way in a short period of time? They're packing a lot of flavor into session APAs and IPAs lately. About 5 years ago is when I first started noticing session brews try to break into the mainstream. Now, the market is flooded with solid session brews. Founders All Day, OB Pinner, Terrapin Recreation are all legit beers. All Day and Recreation coming in 15pks for less than $20 are so choice. 

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I would also like to add, for absolutely no reason, that since Terrapin was acquired by Miller, the beer hasn't suffered in the least in terms of quality. 

Wake n Bake is as good as ever. Better than FBS as far as I'm concerned. Creamy and pours like motor oil and upholds all the "breakfast stout" characteristics and not bitter like FBS tends to be(IMO). 

Furthermore, all of their IPA projects seem to hit the mark. Mosaic, Krunkles, Hi5 are all excellent. I was never crazy about Hopsecutioner to begin with, so I haven't tried it since the acquisition. Recreation Ale is a totally flavorful, crushable beer too.*

I'm never in favor of craft selling out to "the man". However, I'm not above drinking said brewery's beer if the quality remains the same(e.g. Bourbon County). 

/End ramble

*Sidenote: perhaps my tastes have changed or perhaps the beers have been getting better. Am I alone in thinking that session brews have come a long way in a short period of time? They're packing a lot of flavor into session APAs and IPAs lately. About 5 years ago is when I first started noticing session brews try to break into the mainstream. Now, the market is flooded with solid session brews. Founders All Day, OB Pinner, Terrapin Recreation are all legit beers. All Day and Recreation coming in 15pks for less than $20 are so choice. 

I want to conversate on all this when I'm not on my phone. 

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

My "local" taphouse/pub/whatever tapped a keg of SH tonight, and I had zero energy to drive out there. So it's looking like Snake Handler is on the menu for breakfast. B)

fGM9Umd.jpg

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I'm already getting educated here.

Learned that everything I drink could be called a "session brew"

T8HLRoR.jpg

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

It's even more pleasant-er to pour down the ole pipe. 

I am pumped about the quality of beer being put out here. 

Might I inquire where "here" is?

Quality/selection improvement in Ala (in general) has leapt and bounded in the past (very) few years.

Distributor regs, however, still seem a bit hidebound.

7 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Might I inquire where "here" is?

Quality/selection improvement in Ala (in general) has leapt and bounded in the past (very) few years.

Distributor regs, however, still seem a bit hidebound.

TR is in southern Louisiana. Shocks is in 10RC right now, I believe. McLoofus in Georgia. I'm in the 'ham area. 

5 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

TR is in southern Louisiana. Shocks is in east 10RC right now, I believe. McLoofus in Georgia. I'm in the 'ham area. 

Many Thanks.

Will help me keep my explorative shopping goals in perspective.

5 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Many Thanks.

Will help me keep my explorative shopping goals in perspective.

I'm lucky to have an awesome craft store between myself and work (live in Trussville, work at Children's in Southside, do all my beer shopping at Hop City). Any good locations in Tuscaloosa? 

Funnily enough, my wife and I had our wedding reception at Good People. It was awesome. If you're ever in the 'ham, check them out. 

2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

I'm lucky to have an awesome craft store between myself and work (live in Trussville, work at Children's in Southside, do all my beer shopping at Hop City). Any good locations in Tuscaloosa? 

Envious of what's available in B'ham (aside - ever stopped in at Pennzey's spice shop and just smelled stuff?) but kind'a hate to drive there (nimble reflexes a thing of the past, and you guys drive crazy). e.g., Good People IPA might not be the most complex product around, but gotta rank up there with best ever thirst-quencher, pipe-cleaner! I, for one, am happy to have it in my summertime arsenal.

Can't recommend much in T'loosa, though Southern Ale House (north of river) provides a pretty good on-tap spread of the state's wares. I've watched a few brew-pubs pop up and die downtown but, of late (back-and-forthing in a serious way between T'loosa and F'hope (Fish River, well named) down south), haven't been able to really track state's beer renaissance at either end.

Technically, I'm in north LA, but who's counting? Ever heard of Duck Dynasty? Yeah...hometown.

Our beer scene here has been a wasteland for a long time. Now, we ha e two kick azz breweries in state and a few others that are making some good beer as well. Like Shocks mentioned earlier, now that some breweries have been bought by the big boys, I am beginning to see some new product show up on local shelves. 

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Technically, I'm in north LA, but who's counting? Ever heard of Duck Dynasty? Yeah...hometown.

Our beer scene here has been a wasteland for a long time. Now, we ha e two kick azz breweries in state and a few others that are making some good beer as well. Like Shocks mentioned earlier, now that some breweries have been bought by the big boys, I am beginning to see some new product show up on local shelves. 

Now informed, I promise to remember that, in your case, LA means the state (in LA Wine and Beer Festival, "LA" stands for Lower Alabama).

Probably before your time, but (your) LA was last (late '70s?) to succumb to Fed pressures to raise drinking age. Legislature calculated the liquor-tax revenue, from New Orleans Mardi Gras season alone, exceeded highway funds that the Feds originally threatened to withhold.

I am originally from Mississippi, but I vividly remember the drinking age change in the 80's. There were a few establishments right over the MS river that hung on to that old law well into my high school career. 

9 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I am originally from Mississippi, but I vividly remember the drinking age change in the 80's. There were a few establishments right over the MS river that hung on to that old law well into my high school career. 

Don't tell anybody, but

I occasionally smuggled Boone's Farm (89-cents/bottle, green-apple squirts) from the old Louisa St. Schwegman's (store was big enough to house 3 x football fields!) to U. So. Ala. dorms 'cause, well, 'cause I had a car.

ETA - I am assuming that statute of limitations has expired.

53 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Got it. In hindsight, I remember you saying you worked in Monroe. Didn't click. 

1 hour ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Envious of what's available in B'ham (aside - ever stopped in at Pennzey's spice shop and just smelled stuff?) but kind'a hate to drive there (nimble reflexes a thing of the past, and you guys drive crazy). e.g., Good People IPA might not be the most complex product around, but gotta rank up there with best ever thirst-quencher, pipe-cleaner! I, for one, am happy to have it in my summertime arsenal.

It's a decent IPA, but there are a ton of decent IPAs out there. 

Archived