Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

45 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

On tap or in bottle?  On tap (and very fresh) it is probably my favorite beer. In a bottle it's still really good, but not quite as wonderful as a fresh draft. 

It was in bottles. I can imagine how awesome it would taste on draft. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ShocksMyBrain I found a really cool beer store in my home town today. They advertise mostly wine but have a great beer selection. I talked to a guy that works there and he said that the DDH Envie never got past the doors of Parish. That said, GITM is back on the shelves here. Yay me. There are also about to be some really cool releases from Great Raft in Shreveport, so stay tuned.

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

@ShocksMyBrain I found a really cool beer store in my home town today. They advertise mostly wine but have a great beer selection. I talked to a guy that works there and he said that the DDH Envie never got past the doors of Parish. That said, GITM is back on the shelves here. Yay me. There are also about to be some really cool releases from Great Raft in Shreveport, so stay tuned.

Not totally surprised about that Envie. Thanks for checking it out though. 

Having a raspberry rye aged in Chardonnay barrels from Rough Draft at my Kroger bar. Never heard of Rough Draft but I actually like this beer quite a bit. I haven't tasted this much fresh fruit since the last time I had a New Glarus beer, and it's dry and refreshing (which is okay with the not-quite-cold weather we're having). 

On 12/15/2016 at 3:48 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Everything I've had from Weller is good. Haven't had the 12 Year, but I got a couple bottles of Antique. Almost a crime it tastes as good as it does for $30. 

Haven't tried Weller. I will soon. I have tried Blanton's Single barrel, Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare and all three are excellent. Another fav is Four Roses Single Barrel. 

Also tried SoPro Crowd Control tonight. Very tasty. 

On December 6, 2016 at 11:30 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Southern Prohibition Crowd Control DIPA. THIS IS DELICIOUS. 

NQ1Ecic.jpg

Mango, tropical flavors bursting at the first sip. Some malt backbone. This is a very legit, dangerous DIPA at 8%. 

Also the best SPB packaging to date. 

Just grabbed some of this from the new beer store in Pelham...The Beer Hog!  Got some Crowd Control, some Sucks, a little Bearded Lady (for the wife) and a bottle of Pinot Noir. Could be a really good Christmas :hellyeah:

Xocoveza tonight. Will have one more once I get the little'uns in bed while loading the tree.

4 hours ago, FoundationEagle said:

Just grabbed some of this from the new beer store in Pelham...The Beer Hog!  Got some Crowd Control, some Sucks, a little Bearded Lady (for the wife) and a bottle of Pinot Noir. Could be a really good Christmas :hellyeah:

Let me know what you think. I also just purchased (more) Crowd Control and Sucks and Good People IPA. I'll post my Christmas openings as the hours go by. 

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

Xocoveza tonight. Will have one more once I get the little'uns in bed while loading the tree.

Might get around to opening our '14 tonight. I'll report back. 

5 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Let me know what you think. I also just purchased (more) Crowd Control and Sucks and Good People IPA. I'll post my Christmas openings as the hours go by. 

Might get around to opening our '14 tonight. I'll report back. 

Pretty solid IPA.  not really getting the DIPA flavors from it, but more of well made normal IPA (with maybe a little extra fruit)... of course I had it after being late for dinner (had appliances delivered and they were several hours late...), scarfing down some green bean casserole, squash, macaroni and ham quickly and have been regretting it since (somehow gave the worst tasting burps I've ever had). I had 2 of the 4 and will be having the other 2 around Christmas dinner time. I'll report back if I get something different (highly likely as everything tastes funky right now...what did they feed me???) :dunno: 

Ah my wife gets me. Merry Christmas. 

large.image.jpeg

The two on the right are Westy 8 with the blue cap and 12 in the gold. 

2 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Ah my wife gets me. Merry Christmas. 

large.image.jpeg

The two on the right are Westy 8 with the blue cap and 12 in the gold. 

Dude, are those Westvleterens on the end?!?!?!

10 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude, are those Westvleterens on the end?!?!?!

:cool:

large.image.jpeg

Two each of the blonde, 8 and 12. My wife is awesome.

She covered all the bases. All three of the "big three" among quads. Next chilly day I'll do a comparison in one sitting. Ooh buddy am I looking forward to this. 

h3ngpCJ.jpg

A little thin from year's past, but still tasting great. Initial flavors reminiscent of an oatmeal cream pie, giving way to dark chocolate and subtle bourbon notes. 

Didn't grab a pic of the DFH WWS I had. Now, that's a big damn stout. Sweet, finished in port barrels(I think). Took me about an hour and a half to drink it. 

Parish Grand Reserve. Thanks @Tiger Refuge! Perfect Christmas sipper. Really complex and grown. And boozy in a pleasant way.  Far more enjoyable for me than the Founders Lizard of Koz. 

Also on the nice list was the Bruery Chocolate Salty BBLS. Bourbon for days. 16.4% o_O

8 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

She covered all the bases. All three of the "big three" among quads. Next chilly day I'll do a comparison in one sitting. Ooh buddy am I looking forward to this. 

Meant to say, the St. B and Rochefort 10 are beauts, too. Merry merry merry 

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Parish Grand Reserve. Thanks @Tiger Refuge! Perfect Christmas sipper. Really complex and grown. And boozy in a pleasant way.  Far more enjoyable for me than the Founders Lizard of Koz. 

Also on the nice list was the Bruery Chocolate Salty BBLS. Bourbon for days. 16.4% o_O

The silly arbitrary limits in Alabama make beers with abv that high illegal in Alabama. Used to be 6, 13.9 now. Unfortunate. We miss out on a few good ones because of that. 

@McLoofus I'm glad you enjoyed the reserve! I really like it as well. Still have a bottle in reserve myself.

AC811FFD-756C-4665-93D2-53471CB6F499_zps 

Very tasty. Thick. Sweet, roasty chocolate bourbon and coffee. Really almost too much going on with almost no carbonation made it extra thick. Plus it's 12+ABV so...

On to this ED68BA6D-594D-425D-B2EB-CA966809EEA1_zps Really liked this one too. A bit sweet, but vanilla-ey roasty sweet bourbon. Winner. However, if it wasn't Christmas, I'd have trouble splurging for these singles....made Founders BWB and Ten Fidy seem cheap. 

Merry Christmas!

15 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Good read. They're well ahead of my buddy in Guntersville- Bluejacket?! Upland?! That's good company- but the story of starting fresh in an underserved area, educating the market, getting people fired up about a local product, etc. is very similar. My buddy was pleasantly surprised at how open-minded the locals were to big, new beer flavors, and how excited they were to support a local brewer. Anyway, that ethos- serve your community first and let it build from there- and the response gets me fired up. It certainly helps that the product is good!

Archived