Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

So I went to my local Ace hardware to purchase a replacement flapper for the hallway John today, and it's attached to a Pig. Went to check their beer selection while there. Lo and behold, they still have a healthy stock of Xocoveza. Nice. But what really caught my attention was this:

large.image.jpeg

Know what I'm having for the game tonight. 

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's...it's...glorious. Drinking at room temperature. 

Smells like Ten Fidy and bourbon. Tastes exactly how you would expect Ten Fidy aged in bourbon barrels to taste. Absolutely delicious with a pleasant bourbon burn going down. Nailed it.

Only complaint is that the body is noticeably thinner. Not as "chewy" as stock Ten Fidy. Other than that, it's damn near perfect to me. I need to pace myself. It's so damn drinkable the whole stovepipe will be gone before this half ends if I'm not careful. 

Heaven in a glass. Will go buy the last two at the pig tomorrow.

Just as an additional note, this stuff hit me like a sack of hammers. 13% abv. Do not drink it fast if you happen upon it. I haven't felt this blitzed in ages, 

12 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Just as an additional note, this stuff hit me like a sack of hammers. 13% abv. Do not drink it fast if you happen upon it. I haven't felt this blitzed in ages, 

So which hit you harder, the Ten Fidy or the second half of the game?

15 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Sold.

The pig, you say?

I gotta get me one of these.

37 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:Sold.

The pig, you say?

I gotta get me one of these.

The pig is great. They get some unique stuff from time to time.

3 hours ago, Grumps said:

So which hit you harder, the Ten Fidy or the second half of the game?

The game. My wife describes me as a happy drunk. I was pretty ticked off last night. :laugh: 

Snatched up the last two today. Had to go back anyway and get a dishwasher 90 and water line. 

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

The pig is great. They get some unique stuff from time to time.

Many Thanks, but a very franchise-riddled corporation.

F'hope pig, and Tloosa pig, have widely divergent selections.

Trust me though, I'm on the hunt.

I'm going to miss this stuff. I look forward to it every year. At least I still have 5 left.

large.image.jpeg

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Semi-beer related. We got a kitten and named him after my favorite brewery in Colorado--Odell. Someone has already asked if we named him after OBjr.

3i5asU9.jpg

We've got a cat named Shiva

Honest, however, we named her after the Hindu avatar of chaos,

before we knew of the Asheville IPA

IMG_20170217_173156871_zpsjol2ckot.jpgSpeaking of Odell, this is probably the closest I'll get to it floating down here.

14 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

IMG_20170217_173156871_zpsjol2ckot.jpgSpeaking of Odell, this is probably the closest I'll get to it floating down here.

Have you tried this yet? Sounds potentially quite good.

Foothills Sexual Chocolate is around in Atlanta right now. So good, but I wish it was in six packs like Expedition Stout and Narwhal, in whose same category I'd put SC.

Their BA People's Porter is really good, too. 5.8% with huge flavor and some body to it... nice balance of barrel flavor and roasty/hoppy bitterness... good stuff.

Not yet. I'll pop it open tonight after I get home from my daughter's season opener and sit down for the basketball game. 

18 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

90876AF1-DA2A-4B7C-96EA-DFF8D04AC82B_zps

New one for me. Steamboat Peach Saison from Slowboat Brewing. Very very good. At 8%+, very dangerous.

Nice camera work! The weather down there looks at least as nice as it is a bit north and a bit east. 

Currently in Montgomery enjoying a Fairhope Judge Roy Bean. I love a good coffee stout, of which this is one.

Arrogant Bastard was a formative craft beer for me. Introduced me to the notion of beer as manhood challenge. Recently saw it on a list of most important craft beers ever. 

The weather has been phenomenal. The beer was as well. 

My my wife and I have started making biannual trips to Natchez,MS as an easy seeking getaway. Great town, tons of history (just celebrated its 300th anniversary) and ton of good food. 

The megawheat was a very pleasant drink. Just got to it after a day of yard work. Pleasant wheat backbone and a very fruity, bitter but easily quaffable west coast hop character. Well worth the $8 I dropped on it. 

23 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Nice camera work! The weather down there looks at least as nice as it is a bit north and a bit east. 

Currently in Montgomery enjoying a Fairhope Judge Roy Bean. I love a good coffee stout, of which this is one.

Arrogant Bastard was a formative craft beer for me. Introduced me to the notion of beer as manhood challenge. Recently saw it on a list of most important craft beers ever. 

Can't quibble w./ your taste.

Just scored a keg for this pre-Carnival weekend (damn' children are bringing a crowd).

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:42 AM, McLoofus said:

Wow. I love that quote. Goes back to what Shocks said- drink what you like. Good stuff.

I've heard good things about the Elysian IPAs. Will try them soon. Was just on a local beer kick the last month or so. 

As for trying all sorts of new beer, it's a luxury we have now that I'm happy to indulge. Except for a short list of locals and all-time favorites, I'm trying a new beer every time I go out. I'm often disappointed, but that's part of the fun. Quality is always relative.

Hmm. I might not be strictly following corporate policy at lunch today. 

I agree with Shocks, to "drink what you like," but for a newbie like me, I have found that acquiring a taste for good beer opens up the "goodness" of other beer. For example, the first several IPAs I tried tasted like bitter grapefruit. I did not like them at all. Had I not kept trying things like Sculpin and Jai-Alai and "learning" to like them then I don't think I could ever appreciate SnakeHandler. A beer like Golden Monkey is very good, and easy to drink, but it does not have the complexity of a good IPA.

Because of you guys, I have been willing to drink good beer that I may not like. As a result, I am now liking good beer. Thanks!

1 hour ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Can't quibble w./ your taste.

Just scored a keg for this pre-Carnival weekend (damn' children are bringing a crowd).

Have been to one ball in Mobile. I didn't expect to enjoy it a fraction of how much I actually did. I can see why your progeny are rolling deep. South Alabama throws a proper party.

Archived