Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

I find myself wondering what became of BG from time to time. I actually got along with him OK.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was 95% okay-to-good, but that other 5% of the time he had a LOT of bama in him. Not long before he left there was a conversation about running games, and he got really upset when folks suggested that maybe Auburn's run game wasn't that far behind bama's. Not better than or even equal to... just not light years behind. He was rather indignant that he didn't get to come on an Auburn board and have everybody bow down. It was uncharacteristic of him, honestly, but I lit into him nonetheless and some others did, too. Not sure if that had anything to do with his departure or not. 

But yeah, his name on this thread is like an STD. "Look, before we go any further, there's something I have to tell you..."  >:)

Not really a detox or any other conscious effort, but I haven't had a drink since Sunday afternoon. I'll probably pop something open after I put the little one to bed. Got the Jekyll Southern Juice, another local IPA that I really enjoyed recently. This will be my second tasting so I'm curious to see if it holds up. Had to stock up on Atlanta beers for Sunday. 

9 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Of all the old regular Bama posters, he seemed the most level headed, like you said. It still amazed me, though, that he had to be reminded occasionally that he was in an Auburn board. Like, really dude?

Exactly.

21 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

I need to stock up before it gets scarce. 

I picked up 8 and put 4 in the cellar. Might have been a couple more 4 packs available. Its not that far from your work so if the Trussvegas store doesn't have it, try the pig. At 13.95 it is worth a gallon of gas. Plus they have that Frootwood Shocks mentioned. I want to try it as well.

3 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

I find myself wondering what became of BG from time to time. I actually got along with him OK.

Yeah I thought he was treated well here. Don't know why he abandoned us. Lowlife. ;D

11 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Dude, enjoy. Tons of amazing stuff available up there. 

Elysian is available in GA now, if that changes any of your selections. 

I live in Texas, so can't usually find it there.  I'm spoiled.  My company's headquarters are up here, so in Seattle 5-6 times per year.

6 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:Yeah I thought he was treated well here. Don't know why he abandoned us. Lowlife. ;D

I have a confession to make. I'm in much the same situation as BG regarding a handle on an enemy forum. Tidefans. And here I am:

27A4F3AA-4964-414C-920C-A4762BB96F61_zps

I get trolled a bit, but they by an large enjoy having me around. And the mods love me. :laugh:

8 hours ago, McLoofus said:

But yeah, his name on this thread is like an STD. "Look, before we go any further, there's something I have to tell you..."  >:)

Just don't ask Golf to change it.  He'd probably delete the entire thread by accident ;D

Gave Hopslam another try last night. It's surprisingly drinkable considering the high ABV. The can says that it is made with honey, and you can taste it on the finish. It's interesting. One of those beers that I would 10/10 drink again, but 0/10 spend $17 on. My favorite DIPAs are Hercules by Great Divide and Majaraja by Avery. I think I prefer a good bit more of a malt backbone in my IPAs than Hopslam, but like I said, it was interesting, very drinkable, well balanced and pretty damn smooth. I'd prefer it to have more "umph", but that's just me. 

20170202_211657.jpg

21 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Of all the old regular Bama posters, he seemed the most level headed, like you said. It still amazed me, though, that he had to be reminded occasionally that he was in an Auburn board. Like, really dude?

Many Thanks for the map.

Might dig around and lurk in here a bit before significantly contributing.

By way of brief - PBR for $bulk (don't drink a case every day) but appreciate better (and better and better, in Ala of late) in a downright seasonal pattern.

Also appreciate the "attempted murder" in your avi(? is that the correct term?).

5 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Many Thanks for the map.

By way of brief - PBR for $bulk (don't drink a case every day) but appreciate better (and better and better, in Ala of late) in a downright seasonal pattern.

Also appreciate the "attempted murder" in your avi(? is that the correct term?).

Well this certainly warms the cockles. YO. WELCOME!

Now that dots are being connected... have you been to Band of Brothers in TLoosa?

6 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Many Thanks for the map.

Nothing wrong with PBR at all. Gotta have a go-to to fill the gaps.

It is most definitely a great time to be a beer fan. Lots of new and exciting beer around now.

Ha! Thanks! Correct on the avi. I completely forgot I had that up there.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Well this certainly warms the cockles. YO. WELCOME!

Now that dots are being connected... have you been to Band of Brothers in TLoosa?

Actually no.

Working on finishing kick for dissertation (which I finally successfully defended last week), I've been spending much time at family property (and current wife home, and my expected move-to locale) in So. Ala. Right now I'm enjoying Fairhope Brewery's Kingslayer (which they sell in "growlers" - is that a generally familiar term?)

I'll look'em up next (back and forth and back and forth) trip.

1 minute ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Actually no.

Working on finishing kick for dissertation (which I finally successfully defended last week), I've been spending much time at family property (and current wife home, and my expected move-to locale) in So. Ala. Right now I'm enjoying Fairhope Brewery's Kingslayer (which they sell in "growlers" - is that a generally familiar term?)

I'll look'em up next (back and forth and back and forth) trip.

Yup, growlers is a universal term. Actually learned the history of that word the other day:

In the late 1800's and early 1900's fresh beer was carried from the local pub to your home by means of a pail. The rumor mill has it that when the beer sloshed around the pail , it created a rumbling sound as the CO2 escaped through the lid. The term "growler" was coined.

Congrats on the dissertation and on the impending relocation! If I were to relocate to AL, it would probably have to be the Mobile/Fairhope area or the Huntsville area. 

Never heard of Kingslayer. What kind of beer is that? I wasn't a huge fan of their IPA.

Yup, growlers is a universal term. Actually learned the history of that word the other day:

Congrats on the dissertation and on the impending relocation! If I were to relocate to AL, it would probably have to be the Mobile/Fairhope area or the Huntsville area. 

Never heard of Kingslayer. What kind of beer is that? I wasn't a huge fan of their IPA.

Hefty stout w./ considerable hops.

Around-the-fireplace fodder (and actually does OK alternating w/Scotch).

ETA - I actually like their "causeway" IPA (is that the one you've seen?) but 'tis a summer thing. Effectively cuts that film in your throat that arises from panting in South-Alabama heat/humidity. 

RIP "Rye Hopper" (Asheville, NC)

So much for my lurking a while.

19 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

Around-the-fireplace fodder (and actually does OK alternating w/Scotch).

As if we needed further confirmation that...

20 minutes ago, AUinTLoosa said:

So much for my lurking a while.

...the lurking period was long and unnecessary. I'm glad we finally worked past it. 

As if we needed further confirmation that...

...the lurking period was long and unnecessary. I'm glad we finally worked past it. 

...and (as if I've never made a mistype before), is "crowler" also a familiar term? They seal their draft in a qt. pop-top can for take-out. They're currently limited (Ala law) to a case-equivalent/person. 'Course, once you open it, ya' gotta drink it.

1 minute ago, AUinTLoosa said:

...and (as if I've never made a mistype before), is "crowler" also a familiar term? They seal their draft in a qt. pop-top can for take-out. They're currently limited (Ala law) to a case-equivalent/person. 'Course, once you open it, ya' gotta drink it.

Crowlers are much less common. The gap is narrowing, although at what pace I'm not sure. And who knows about the laws on them from state to state. 

Fair warning @AUinTLoosa , this thread can become all consuming. These guys here have a ton of beer knowledge and are very giving of it. I know, I have asked a ton a questions.

I had some of Fairhope Brewing's offerings this last summer/fall. Their coffee stout was nice. I also enjoyed the Causeway IPA.

I found a prize today. I'll be revealing later.

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Fair warning @AUinTLoosa , this thread can become all consuming. These guys here have a ton of beer knowledge and are very giving of it. I know, I have asked a ton a questions.

I had some of Fairhope Brewing's offerings this last summer/fall. Their coffee stout was nice. I also enjoyed the Causeway IPA.

I found a prize today. I'll be revealing later.

As one might have thought.

Again, Many Thanks for directions.

Archived