Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...and yet, I'm still curious to try it. Just not curious enough to buy a sixer at the store. Maybe I can get one in a mixed sixer. 

Is it bad as in off flavors? 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

...and yet, I'm still curious to try it. Just not curious enough to buy a sixer at the store. Maybe I can get one in a mixed sixer. 

Is it bad as in off flavors? 

It doesn't taste anything like an IPA. Tastes incredibly watered down. Just a gross beer. 

Stopped by the "pig" in Homewood tonight and picked up New Belgium Voodoo Ranger IPA and Ten Fidy. The IPA 8.99 and Ten Fidy 13.99. The NB IPA was pretty good and Ten Fidy, is outstanding!  Currently melting into my recliner. 

On 1/10/2017 at 6:31 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Gotta get my hands on this one. Cherry ale aged in maple syrup bourbon barrels.

http://beerstreetjournal.com/founders-frootwood/

How did this rate with you? Saw it at the pig tonight and passed, but curious.

12 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Hasn't arrived yet, so I couldn't tell ya. 

Misread the post. My bad. 

Hopslam should be in at Hop City. Had it on tap last week and they said it would be stocked as of yesterday. Will go tomorrow with fingers crossed they still have it. 

On 1/26/2017 at 11:35 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Hard pour and result. 

qIPqBMl.jpg

lm09pIR.jpg

Garbage. An absolute insult to the India Pale Ale style. Awful. Bad. Gross. Dog s***. 

Yeesh. 

On January 31, 2017 at 5:26 PM, AUFAN78 said:

.....Ten Fidy....

Mmmmmmm......

I acquired Grapefruit Sculpin tonight. I was absolutely shocked when I saw it here. I've never had it, so I'll be reporting from the beer lab later. I don't actually have a beer lab, but a guy can wish...

26 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Hopslam should be in at Hop City. Had it on tap last week and they said it would be stocked as of yesterday. Will go tomorrow with fingers crossed they still have it. 

I have been crushing Hopslam. Between my dad and myself, we've bought 5 of the 8 6pks that my store got(no limit). But hey, I let it sit around on the shelf and if no one buys in a day or two or three, I call it fair game. 

It's a good deal better this year than it has been. Or perhaps my lack of access to true quality IPAs has changed my mind. 

Really hoping Snake Handler makes it here. Dropped in Nashville a week or two ago, Chattanooga this week. I'll be surprised if it rolls in. 

33 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Mmmmmmm......

I acquired Grapefruit Sculpin tonight. I was absolutely shocked when I saw it here. I've never had it, so I'll be reporting from the beer lab later. I don't actually have a beer lab, but a guy can wish...

Been a little while since I've had it, but a quality IPA. You won't be disappointed. 

On 1/31/2017 at 5:26 PM, AUFAN78 said:

...Ten Fidy...

I need to stock up before it gets scarce. 

14 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Really hoping Snake Handler makes it here. 

Have you had it? I'm not sure how much I like it. Need to revisit. Good People just arrived in GA. Very happy for them. Their coffee oatmeal stout is one of my favorite fridge stouts anywhere. 

In Seattle for work this week.  Had an Elysian IPA and Boundary Irish Stout so far.  IPA was OK, but nothing special.  Would recommend the Stout, but fair warning, it's a Nitro.

23 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

In Seattle for work this week.  Had an Elysian IPA and Boundary Irish Stout so far.  IPA was OK, but nothing special.  Would recommend the Stout, but fair warning, it's a Nitro.

Go to Fremont. Sister/Brother IPAs are incredible. And if they have any BBA Abominable or Darkstar, drink or buy bottles of each. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Have you had it? I'm not sure how much I like it. Need to revisit. Good People just arrived in GA. Very happy for them. Their coffee oatmeal stout is one of my favorite fridge stouts anywhere. 

A long time ago at the brewery. I liked it a lot back then. 

28 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Dude, enjoy. Tons of amazing stuff available up there. 

Elysian is available in GA now, if that changes any of your selections. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Dude, enjoy. Tons of amazing stuff available up there. 

Elysian is available in GA now, if that changes any of your selections. 

And in Alabama! I tried their IPA a couple weekends ago on tap, and I thought it was phenomenal. 

On another note, a local store had Bell's Hopslam in yesterday, and I dropped $17 on a six-pack! Someone told me I needed to try it. Anyway, poured a can into a pint glass last night and, well, I don't know - it was really good, but I guess I was expecting more for all the hype. I'm going to drink another one tonight and see if I change my mind. Couple things working against me last night. 1) I was really, really full. 2) I don't know the proper temperature to drink it at, but I'm pretty sure it was a little too warm and 3) maybe I used the wrong glassware? Regardless, I'll post my thoughts again tonight. 

17 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

On another note, a local store had Bell's Hopslam in yesterday, and I dropped $17 on a six-pack! Someone told me I needed to try it. Anyway, poured a can into a pint glass last night and, well, I don't know - it was really good, but I guess I was expecting more for all the hype. I'm going to drink another one tonight and see if I change my mind. Couple things working against me last night. 1) I was really, really full. 2) I don't know the proper temperature to drink it at, but I'm pretty sure it was a little too warm and 3) maybe I used the wrong glassware? Regardless, I'll post my thoughts again tonight. 

I'll try it on tap somewhere and see what I think. It's going to have to be WAY better to be worth $17/sixer. Sounds like Shocks thinks it is, though.

The pint glass should've been fine. There are fancy glasses that optimize certain beers, but you should be able to tell what a beer is in a standard shaker that's clean. 

As for temperature, probably 10-15 degrees warmer than fridge temp is optimal according to most... 45-50 degrees. 

Honestly, we're flush with good IPAs in GA now and WE'RE ABOUT TO BE ABLE TO BUY OUR BEER DIRECT FROM THE BREWERY. Expect a lot of good things coming out of this state going forward. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I'll try it on tap somewhere and see what I think. It's going to have to be WAY better to be worth $17/sixer. Sounds like Shocks thinks it is, though.

The pint glass should've been fine. There are fancy glasses that optimize certain beers, but you should be able to tell what a beer is in a standard shaker that's clean. 

As for temperature, probably 10-15 degrees warmer than fridge temp is optimal according to most... 45-50 degrees. 

Honestly, we're flush with good IPAs in GA now and WE'RE ABOUT TO BE ABLE TO BUY OUR BEER DIRECT FROM THE BREWERY. Expect a lot of good things coming out of this state going forward. 

That's awesome. 

Yeah, sounds like I had the temperature about right. Honestly, I was so full that I was having a hard time enjoying it - even though I knew it was a good beer. I'll try again tonight and see what I think. I think the price was inflated because of demand. I don't know what it should cost. They are supposed to have it on tap next week, and I'm interested to try that too. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

That's awesome. 

Yeah, sounds like I had the temperature about right. Honestly, I was so full that I was having a hard time enjoying it - even though I knew it was a good beer. I'll try again tonight and see what I think. I think the price was inflated because of demand. I don't know what it should cost. They are supposed to have it on tap next week, and I'm interested to try that too. 

Yeah, the fullness might've gotten ya for sure. Will be interested to hear your 2nd review. 

Btw, if anybody sees the Blvd/Firestone Walker collab, try it. Every bit of 12.5% and wonderful. 

We need to edit the author of this thread. My favorite thread shouldn't have been started by a bama fan...

Good beer chatter in here the last few days. My little beer store here has me excited with the new deliveries. I picked up Parish's Opus Vert yesterday. It may be my favorite.

Archived