Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, fellas, we finally had a sunny Spring day that coincided with my off day. SoPro  Crowd Control at Flying Saucer patio with my wife after a solid day of fishing. Good Friday, indeed. 

Muvku35.jpg

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Had one of them on tap today too. 

Also had an fresh Bell’s Oberon. 

I really, REALLY like the Hopslam. I know it may be a bit off center with the sweetness. But dadgummit, I love that malt. 

2 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I kind of forget just how good Crowd Control is until I drink it again. How I wish we could get Paradise Lost on the reg. DDH CC I believe. 

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32543/276318/

SoPro is doing it right, for sure. Did you happen to see their release about tracing the defect in their canning? Diacetyl issue? Summed up, they ain’t playin’. It’s fixed. 

Here it is...

http://soprobrewing.com/soprosaid

Ballast Point rep came through and yanked our Pineapple Sculpin because they’re about a year old. Typically we fly through IPAs with no issue in regard to shelf life, but we struggled with this particular SKU(obviously). It was never on par with Grapefruit Sculpin anyway.

Anyway, he bought the last 2 6ers and I came home with some and I’m having one now. For a year old 7% IPA...it’s kind of stood up. Faded hops to be sure, but there’s still a good amount of pineapple which I felt was too subtle when it was fresh. 

Also, Ballast Point has discontinued Pineapple Sculpin. 

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

SoPro is doing it right, for sure. Did you happen to see their release about tracing the defect in their canning? Diacetyl issue? Summed up, they ain’t playin’. It’s fixed. 

Here it is...

http://soprobrewing.com/soprosaid

I hadn’t seen that. At least they’re “small” and can fix it quickly. 

Left Hand Brewing had to recall at least 20k(!) cases of Milk Stout Nitro due to an invasive yeast strain. 

https://www.denverpost.com/2016/09/12/left-hand-brewing-recalls-milk-stout-nitro/

Ballast Point rep came through and yanked our Pineapple Sculpin because they’re about a year old. Typically we fly through IPAs with no issue in regard to shelf life, but we struggled with this particular SKU(obviously). It was never on par with Grapefruit Sculpin anyway.

Anyway, he bought the last 2 6ers and I came home with some and I’m having one now. For a year old 7% IPA...it’s kind of stood up. Faded hops to be sure, but there’s still a good amount of pineapple which I felt was too subtle when it was fresh. 

I liked the Pineapple Sculpin. Just didn’t buy it frequently. I pretty much just stuck with the grapefruit. 

4 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Amazing how BP was so sought after two years ago. Now, it’s collecting dust. Just crazy. Well, at least down here it is. I feel like I’m the bulk of our craft beer market here. 

1 minute ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Amazing how BP was so sought after two years ago. Now, it’s collecting dust. Just crazy. Well, at least down here it is. I feel like I’m the bulk of our craft beer market here. 

It’s expensive and there are lots of other things out there to try. 

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

It’s expensive and there are lots of other things out there to try. 

Depends how much you consider “expensive”. We sell 6packs of Sculpin for 13.99. Before being bought by Constellation for a low price of $1bn and opening their new spot in Virginia(?), Sculpin ran $18.99 a sixer. 

That said, regular Sculpin belongs in the same class as 2 Hearted IMO. It’s a perfect example of the (new)West Coast style.

All that aside...Unfiltered Sculpin is my favorite incantation of the line. 

12 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Their beer is somewhat basic, and feels rushed. See their VAS variants for a prime example. 

High West BBA aged VAS was very, very good though. 

7 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Their beer is somewhat basic, and feels rushed. See their VAS variants for a prime example. 

I’m interested in what “rushed” means to you.

Lack of depth in flavor? Over all quality? All of the above?

14 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Depends how much you consider “expensive”. We sell 6packs of Sculpin for 13.99. Before being bought by Constellation for a low price of $1bn and opening their new spot in Virginia(?), Sculpin ran $18.99 a sixer. 

That said, regular Sculpin belongs in the same class as 2 Hearted IMO. It’s a perfect example of the (new)West Coast style.

All that aside...Unfiltered Sculpin is my favorite incantation of the line. 

I’ve been keeping an eye out for the unfiltered Sculpin. Has yet to have floated down here, 

45 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’m interested in what “rushed” means to you.

Lack of depth in flavor? Over all quality? All of the above?

Basically yes to all. It’s obvious in most cases. Peanut butter VAS had no complexity to it at all, other than a hint of chewing on shelled peanuts. 

Or every Blue Pants Pinstripe variant. Are they still even open?

Rushed is equivalent to “simple”. As is a brewery rushing a product out before it’s ready. 

37 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Basically yes to all. It’s obvious in most cases. Peanut butter VAS had no complexity to it at all, other than a hint of chewing on shelled peanuts. 

Or every Blue Pants Pinstripe variant. Are they still even open?

Rushed is equivalent to “simple”. As is a brewery rushing a product out before it’s ready. 

I totally get it. I like that descriptor. It’s better than “simple”. 

ETA- We (North LA) have been all but forgotten by Parish and Great Raft. They have both had new releases, including “statewide” and not a new beer to be seen. Even one name “318”. I just give up.

On 3/30/2018 at 9:06 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Burial Surf Wax IPA. Very nice offering. Hop in the front. Piney with a touch of citrus. Resinous on the back end. Very clean.

Smoked boudin. Damn.

2C75D52A-BBE1-4392-A866-3903E1C73720.jpeg

547CA3C0-D844-4A2A-8249-909430D5AC5A.jpeg

I... I think I might be angry at you for posting these images together. 

My day just isn't going to be very cool in comparison. 

Good on ya, brother. Damn. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I... I think I might be angry at you for posting these images together. 

My day just isn't going to be very cool in comparison. 

Good on ya, brother. Damn. 

Ha! Yeah, I’ve been holding on to two packages of that boudin for a few months. It’s the best I’ve had, hands down. I’ve probably mentioned it before,  but it’s worth re-sharing.

https://www.beststopinscott.com/

I was also a few beers in the other night. I love rereading my descriptions of beer.? 

On 3/31/2018 at 12:39 AM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I've felt like the adjuncts in the VAS variants have tasted... I dunno... artificial? Not sure if that's the right word. I dunno. Just almost like they weren't using quality ingredients. 

The first time I tasted Sculpin was a revelation, but it's a different world now. Still a great beer, no doubt. Just hard to pass up other regional favorites or trying new things in favor of it. 

Green Flash/Alpine is dunzo. Foreclosed and shut its doors. I knew they were struggling after expanding with a Virginia facility and then having to lay off a bunch of folks. Didn’t think they were ready to go completely under.

https://thefullpint.com/beer-news/green-flash-brewing-inc-foreclosed-sells-green-flash-and-alpine-assets/

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

Green Flash/Alpine is dunzo. Foreclosed and shut its doors. 

Wow. I didn't have an emotional attachment, but still a bit sad. A few icons in those portfolios. 

Green Flash/Alpine is dunzo. Foreclosed and shut its doors. 

I’m going to miss Duet. 

1 minute ago, AUDub said:

I’m going to miss Duet. 

Duet was excellent. I can’t get it in TN, but I drank quite a bit in Colorado. 

GF cellar series was legit too. And their standard lineup was good when I first tried it 6 or 7 years ago. I loved Palate Wrecker the first time I had it. Haven’t had anything from GF in a long time because the market provides better alternatives. 

Just now, ShocksMyBrain said:

Duet was excellent. I can’t get it in TN, but I drank quite a bit in Colorado. 

GF cellar series was legit too. And their standard lineup was good when I first tried it 6 or 7 years ago. I loved Palate Wrecker the first time I had it. Haven’t had anything from GF in a long time because the market provides better alternatives. 

Palate Wrecker is a milestone beer for me. Not a bucket list or hype whale beer, but one that I very distinctly remember trying the first time. The Porter in Little Five Points. I thought, wow, this is big and new and different.

Their Silva Stout was absolutely amazing. 

Archived