Best (and worst) beers you've ever had

BamaGrad03

5 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Headed to Fayetteville this afternoon for the weekend to visit a buddy. Gonna go to the AU baseball game tomorrow.

Anyone got any info on Fayetteville? Beers, bars, food, etc. I’ve never been. 

Nothing useful. Only that it's beautiful up there, so if you have time/inclination, find some woods to get lost in. Maybe go home via Gilbert

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Nothing useful. Only that it's beautiful up there, so if you have time/inclination, find some woods to get lost in. Maybe go home via Gilbert

Yeah, buddy has a little hike for us planned tomorrow. 

Theres a brewery called Fossil Cove that we might drop in on. Reviews seem sparse, but it’s a dinosaur themed brewery so I’m in. 

I picked up a new bottle of bourbon today. E.H. Taylor bottled in bond. Very nice! Caramel sweetness. Reminds me of Makers. Will keep in stock.

DFH Romantic Chemistry. After a palate cleanser, it’s meh. I can taste tha mango and ginger. It seems thin though and maybe an afterthought or hurried. Simple. Not terrible.

E9898253-B38B-45F2-B844-886E13968D86.jpeg

BA8E6BAA-B167-4286-B4A0-4EA0DF3BD00A.jpeg

Buddy isn’t a craft beer drinker, so he doesn’t have a plethora of glasses to choose from. I always feel kind of like an ass asking for a beer glass at a host’s home. Mother’s Brewing Sunshine Chugsickle. Not bad. Scratches that NEIPA itch for sure.

olMpXzX.jpg

10 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yikes. That’s an aweful pic. Sorry bout dat.

Yet thought provoking. Is that some sort of engineered ice configuration in the whiskey glass?

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Buddy isn’t a craft beer drinker, so he doesn’t have a plethora of glasses to choose from. I always feel kind of like an ass asking for a beer glass at a host’s home. 

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Also that first beer after 5 hours driving in the rain is incredible no matter what it is. 

Preach and preach.

I feel less an imposition on servers who give me frozen mugs. Sometimes I'm entertained by their confusion when I ask for one that's not chilled. After enough deer in headlights reactions, though, I realize now that I'm the weird one.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yet thought provoking. Is that some sort of engineered ice configuration in the whiskey glass?

Yes it is. There is a pour through wedge that make that cool half ice cube in the glass. It was a cheap find at a local store, so I thought what the hell. Not bad at all!

On 4/7/2018 at 9:05 AM, Tiger Refuge said:

Yes it is. There is a pour through wedge that make that cool half ice cube in the glass. It was a cheap find at a local store, so I thought what the hell. Not bad at all!

Damn Straight, no, um

Neat, doesn't work either

Rockin'?

Ran through some IPAs this weekend. Very boring, nerdy post ahead...

Breaking Buds by Knee Deep- very nice West Coast IPA, dank, resinous, bitter, dry. At least I hope those words are right. Just one of those beers where nothing stood out other than the fact that I kept wanting another sip. I wouldn't say "crushable", though. I mean, I could have easily crushed it, but I really enjoyed it and only had 1 and wanted it to last. Also, I try not to crush 16 ozers. That can be problematic. 

Blue Pants Supercool- This is their DDH IPA that I mentioned. I'm just going to hope the one I got was old and I'll leave it at that. 

Burial Surf Wax- Always a winner

New Realm Hoplandia- These guys are expected game changers in ATL. Their brewmaster is Mitch Steele, formerly of Stone. The Hoplandia was very good. Very West Coast, VERY bitter and dry. Very big flavors for a "standard"/"flagship" IPA. I expect these guys are going to do some really big and cool beers.

Cherry Street Steppin' Razor- Their DDH IPA. I'm again left hoping it wasn't fresh. These guys do good beer and this particular can was unimpressive and not what I expect from a DDH beer. 

On deck- New Realm's TIPA. Will report back tomorrow. 

I pulled a beer snob move at a pizza place in Fayetteville. 

Waiter asked if I wanted anything to drink, so I asked for local. Nothing piqued my interest. So I asked for craft, he started rattling off everything off the top of his head, so I stopped him in his tracks and asked specifically for IPA. He named a few, I settled on Uinta Detour. He asked if I wanted it in a can or frosted mug. I requested an unfrosted mug. 

The whole exchange took about 5 minutes and everyone at the table looked at me like my hair was on fire. 

I did apologize for being a stickler and tipped handsomely. 

Well! I think I’ll have a beer after that little dust up. 

@AUDub might appreciate this. A coworker managed to knock a 4pk of Chimay Red off the shelf, compromising the seal of 2 bottles in the 4pk. I took home the other 2. 

I still have the empty bottle of “good beer” from when I moved to TN 10 years ago. 

yCfQlk9.jpg

@Tiger Refuge

Ventured into Hop City. Shocked when I stumbled upon Bloom. Looked around. They also have stock Envie and Canebreak. GITM will be up here in June. Yay!

37 minutes ago, AUDub said:

@Tiger Refuge

Ventured into Hop City. Shocked when I stumbled upon Bloom. Looked around. They also have stock Envie and Canebreak. GITM will be up here in June. Yay!

I totally forgot to mention that they have expanded distribution into MS and Alabama. Please tell me you got that Bloom!?

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I totally forgot to mention that they have expanded distribution into MS and Alabama. Please tell me you got that Bloom!?

Does "they" mean Parish?

Eyes open and many thanks.

52 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Does a bear s*** in the woods? 

21 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I know....I felt dumb even typing that. Can’t wait to see what you think!

Just got home from Sadie’s soccer game and letting it get to temp. Really looking forward to this one. 

Archived