General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Malzahn won us a NC. I don't see how more people aren't on the Gus bus.

I'm on the Gus Bus. I think Wallace is the type of QB in his offense that can be very successful because he can run, but he makes good decisions for the most part. That is the same reason I like Gundy. I also like Jimbo because I think he defenses can be successful, and his offenses would score a lot of points.

Because he's in his first year as a HC. He's still unproven.

I don't understand why more people don't see this.

Good thing Florida waited for muschamp to be proven and Oklahoma did the same with stoops.... Wait a minute.

And hiring Gene Chizik was such a great choice for ISU and AU.

Wait a minute.

I don't think we need to take a risk on another "up and comer" or unproven coach. Or someone that may use AU as a stepping stone(Malzahn as OC) to move on to bigger and/or better things.

We need to hire someone who has already proven that they can win as a head coach at a high level of play.

This coaching hire is crucial for the future of this program.

I'm on the Gus Bus. I think Wallace is the type of QB in his offense that can be very successful because he can run, but he makes good decisions for the most part. That is the same reason I like Gundy. I also like Jimbo because I think he defenses can be successful, and his offenses would score a lot of points.

I like Gus... but there was a time just before he left last season where people were questioning his future in the SEC... and calling for a new OC. Then there is his hick wife... I wouldn't set my couch on fire or cow-tip my neighbor's Z-71 if CGM were hired, but I might if she ever does another interview while CGM is employed here.

And don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Malzahn's offense return to the Plain eventually. I'm just a little skeptical at this point of his head coaching experience. I'd like to see a bigger sample size on his resumé than one season in the Sun Belt.

Malzahn, Gundy, and Rich Rod would be geat fits for AU on offense this is what were built for they having scoring 40+ points a game in no time. Malzahn left cause Chizik interfered with his offense I don't blame for going back home to Arkansas St even if it was a pay cut and Rich Rod going to Michigan was like him going to Alabama just a bad fit not what those schools are built for. A&m showed us the way to go yesterday and Chizik chose to go away from that.

My "Wishlist" 2.0

1. Gus Malzahn

2. Tommy Tuberville

3. Jimbo Fisher

4. Chip Kelley

The BOT hates Tommy so that will probably never happen again.

The Jimbo rumor seems too good to be true.

Chip Kelley is more of a wish and we would have to pay him about $20 million to compete with that Nike money.

Gus seems to fit the usual Auburn head coach pattern: a coach at a small school and/or with an average to slightly above average record with possible previous ties to Auburn.

Malzahn, Gundy, and Rich Rod would be geat fits for AU on offense this is what were built for they having scoring 40+ points a game in no time. Malzahn left cause Chizik interfered with his offense I don't blame for going back home to Arkansas St even if it was a pay cut and Rich Rod going to Michigan was like him going to Alabama just a bad fit not what those schools are built for. A&m showed us the way to go yesterday and Chizik chose to go away from that.

Not sure of the other two, but this is exactly why i want malzahns offense back. We have possibly the best players in the nation for it, yet we steer clear. Saban hates it, and it probably beats him more often than any other type of offense, yet we make a u-turn on a one way one lane road.

I liked Gus okay. But to me, I dont think he has that head coach experience and toughness and thats what we need a hard nose, demands focus, and responsibility. Heck, he took dyer with him after all that junk he got into. He will be a liability IMO. Jimbo. eh. he's okay. but hes average in the ACC. Good at recruiting but so is chiz and you see where that has got us. You can have top 10 recruiting classes every year but until you start developing that talent, what difference does it make. IMO, we should go with someone who has experience in recruiting in the south playing and winning in the south who is willing to comprimise on contract terms. Bobby P. to me is the guy. Won't demand tons of money ( which is good cause we will owe chiz 7.5 mill.). will have a short term contract with strict terms and probably a small buy out (if any) if he cant produce. logically its the best choice on all terms. What about Chris Petersen from Bosie. Mild recruiting but always developes the talent to compete. Anyone can up there recuiting at a school like Auburn.

How about Kevin Sumlin? He's never lost to saban!

Sumlin won't leave Texas A&M, but we can get Kliff Kingsbury. He out-coached Kirby Smart today.

Maybe. Maybe not. We "out-coached" a lot of people in 2010. That's not hard to do when you have the best player on the field running your team. Kingsbury is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too young to be running an entire college football program. He is a GREAT OC however.

Funny comment. I'd take him in a NY second over what we have and most of what other SEC teams have right now.

Can we please not make a knee jerk hire based on an OC's first year in the league with an incredible qb? Gus got how much for having a qb that won all those games? And we had what the year before and the year after?

Umm ... It's not knee jerk. Kingsbury was the 2011 OC of the year while at Houston (with Sumlin as HC.) Sumlin was smart enough to recognize Kingsbury's talent and quickly made him the OC at Houston. His offense led the nation in nearly all offensive stats. And regarding Manziel -- he was a 3-star recruit and dreamed of playing for Texas. Texas passed on him. He wasn't even the starting QB in the spring. He is an incredible QB. But don't dismiss Kingsbury on account of Manziel.

Everyone needs to take a breath. Try not to take things as offensive, just as counter points/devil's advocate. Manziel as a 3 star...we've seen plenty of times the "3 star" guy outperforms the "5 star" once in college. Can we agree he's no 3 star now...as a RSF no less? Guss' O at Tulsa did incredible with lesser qbs, then he needed Cam to really perform in the SEC. Otherwise we were middle of the pack in the conference weren't we? Kingsbury could very well be an excellent HC, and may be "that guy" that proves that he can take a qb like KF and turn the team into an offensive jugernaut, but I just caution on running down a similiar path as before. Bringing in a Kingsbury as HC/OC would be a poor decision at this point for the program imo. You'll also NEVER get him away after this year as if there is another school other than bama that will pay BIG money for what it wants...it's aTm.

Everyone needs to take a breath. Try not to take things as offensive, just as counter points/devil's advocate. Manziel as a 3 star...we've seen plenty of times the "3 star" guy outperforms the "5 star" once in college. Can we agree he's no 3 star now...as a RSF no less? Guss' O at Tulsa did incredible with lesser qbs, then he needed Cam to really perform in the SEC. Otherwise we were middle of the pack in the conference weren't we? Kingsbury could very well be an excellent HC, and may be "that guy" that proves that he can take a qb like KF and turn the team into an offensive jugernaut, but I just caution on running down a similiar path as before. Bringing in a Kingsbury as HC/OC would be a poor decision at this point for the program imo. You'll also NEVER get him away after this year as if there is another school other than bama that will pay BIG money for what it wants...it's aTm.

So glad someone made this point on here. This is what I tried to say all day saturday. Everyone talked about how briliant Kingsbury is as an OC. He may very well be. But everytime I see an aTm game I think of Gus and Cam. Maybe Kingsbury is good enough to be a giant killer every season. I just think until he is able to do it consistantly, and possibly without Manziel, the jury is still out. I remember how quickly BSPN and other sports outlets jumped on the Gus Bus, just to throw him under the bus after Cam went pro.

So glad someone made this point on here. This is what I tried to say all day saturday. Everyone talked about how briliant Kingsbury is as an OC. He may very well be. But everytime I see an aTm game I think of Gus and Cam. Maybe Kingsbury is good enough to be a giant killer every season. I just think until he is able to do it consistantly, and possibly without Manziel, the jury is still out. I remember how quickly BSPN and other sports outlets jumped on the Gus Bus, just to throw him under the bus after Cam went pro.

You know posts like this irritate me more than I can express with words on here. First of all, Gus was more than just Cam Newton. It has been stated over and over again that Gus was not allowed to run his offense anymore after the first half of the Clemson game last year. Overall, Ark. St's offense looks pretty good and that is being conservative. Gus has a vast body of work that was more than just Cam Newton. You might want to do some research.

Next, Kingsbury is a genius. Anybody who's been paying attention to anything I've said about the man knows I've been spouting him as a genius for a while now. I wanted him as offensive coordinator last year. He never even got a whiff from Auburn. Drop your love affair with the pro-set. Kingsbury has been producing wherever he's been. The man has gotten record setting production everywhere he has gone. Look, there is one thing in football I think we can agree on after all we've seen.

Winners win and Losers lose and that's how it is. Kingsbury wins wherever he goes. I said for a while A&M would upset Bama and people called me an idiot. I told them that Kingsbury is smarter than Smart and again I was called an idiot. Listen, Kingsbury is a genius. It's plain and simple. We'd be incredibly lucky to get that guy on as our HC. Is he a roll of the dice? Nope he's not. He's gotten every bit as much production from his offense as Bobby Petrino ever has. Furthermore, he doesn't come with the baggage that Petrino has. So, why is BP that much of a better choice than KK? That's simple: HE'S NOT A BETTER HIRE!

I mentioned his name as a joke a few weeks ago on this very thread. I'm sure nobody will admit to that now. They'll say I never said it. I promise you did but I said it as a joke because I thought nobody would take me serious. When someone did, I was quite willing to express why in fact he'd be a great hire. The man will be a GREAT coach somewhere why not here?

You know posts like this irritate me more than I can express with words on here. First of all, Gus was more than just Cam Newton. It has been stated over and over again that Gus was not allowed to run his offense anymore after the first half of the Clemson game last year. Overall, Ark. St's offense looks pretty good and that is being conservative. Gus has a vast body of work that was more than just Cam Newton. You might want to do some research.

Next, Kingsbury is a genius. Anybody who's been paying attention to anything I've said about the man knows I've been spouting him as a genius for a while now. I wanted him as offensive coordinator last year. He never even got a whiff from Auburn. Drop your love affair with the pro-set. Kingsbury has been producing wherever he's been. The man has gotten record setting production everywhere he has gone. Look, there is one thing in football I think we can agree on after all we've seen.

Winners win and Losers lose and that's how it is. Kingsbury wins wherever he goes. I said for a while A&M would upset Bama and people called me an idiot. I told them that Kingsbury is smarter than Smart and again I was called an idiot. Listen, Kingsbury is a genius. It's plain and simple. We'd be incredibly lucky to get that guy on as our HC. Is he a roll of the dice? Nope he's not. He's gotten every bit as much production from his offense as Bobby Petrino ever has. Furthermore, he doesn't come with the baggage that Petrino has. So, why is BP that much of a better choice than KK? That's simple: HE'S NOT A BETTER HIRE!

I mentioned his name as a joke a few weeks ago on this very thread. I'm sure nobody will admit to that now. They'll say I never said it. I promise you did but I said it as a joke because I thought nobody would take me serious. When someone did, I was quite willing to express why in fact he'd be a great hire. The man will be a GREAT coach somewhere why not here?

There are a lot of people on this board who will doubt you until you prove them wrong. I know. Just keep up the posts, I enjoy reading them.

I agree that Kingsbury is a winner, that much is proven. Hiring him as the Head Coach is still a risk because being the HC is much much different than being a Coordinator. I am in no way saying he wouldn't be successful but it's most definitely not an apples to apples comparison. Some Coordinators really blossom in certain situations where they become HC but others fail miserably. There are people here who will disagree because of their biased hatred toward CGC for this season in particular but he was and could be again a great DC. His body of work as a DC was just as impressive as some other greats. He is apparently in over his head as a HC and I am not sure why. I know from experience that the next step up the ladder is not always something people can handle.

I agree that Kingsbury is a winner, that much is proven. Hiring him as the Head Coach is still a risk because being the HC is much much different than being a Coordinator. I am in no way saying he wouldn't be successful but it's most definitely not an apples to apples comparison. Some Coordinators really blossom in certain situations where they become HC but others fail miserably. There are people here who will disagree because of their biased hatred toward CGC for this season in particular but he was and could be again a great DC. His body of work as a DC was just as impressive as some other greats. He is apparently in over his head as a HC and I am not sure why. I know from experience that the next step up the ladder is not always something people can handle.

Now this is a fair argument. I can understand why someone would have this reservation. Personally, I completely disagree but it is a fair assessment. I think KK will be a great HC but I can understand why people are afraid of the risk. Yet, the man just has that "It" factor. On the risk factor though, in the end, every coach we can possibly hire is a risk. There's no way around it unfortunately. You never truly know how somebody will work out at any program until they've been there a while.

Archived