General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

Dont get the fascination with Jeff Fisher. First, its not even close to realistic, and secondly, out of his 17 years with the Oilers/Titans, he only finished above .500 6 times and won their division 3 times. He never had more than 2 consecutive winning seasons.

There's no correlation between success as a pro coach and success as a college coach.

Ok. So why pursue an NFL coach to begin with?

Now that's a good question, and one I don't have an answer for.

I am with you guys too. I just don't get the NFL HC love.

wde

They have won at the highest level! That is one. Number 2 a sucessful NFL head coach would actually have a resume superior to Saban. it would be a splash hire that would engergize the fanbase.

Sorry Jeff Fisher excites me a hell of a lot more then Jimbo Fisher.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dont get the fascination with Jeff Fisher. First, its not even close to realistic, and secondly, out of his 17 years with the Oilers/Titans, he only finished above .500 6 times and won their division 3 times. He never had more than 2 consecutive winning seasons.

There's no correlation between success as a pro coach and success as a college coach.

wde

They have won at the highest level! That is one. Number 2 a sucessful NFL head coach would actually have a resume superior to Saban. it would be a splash hire that would engergize the fanbase.

1. The dynamics of the NFL game and the college game are vastly different. Which is why you rarely see coaches successfully make the transition. Drafting 21 to 23 years olds is drastically different from recruiting 16-19 year olds. Their is a much more equitable distribution of talent in the NFL (which is why Saban isnt a good NFL coach). In the pro's you get one 1st round pick. In college you have the opportunity to have 25. Commanding the respect and attention of grown men who out-earn you and who are more valuable to the team than you are is much different from commanding the respect and attention of poor teenagers.

2. He doesnt have a more impressive resume than Saban. Especially when you consider this from the perspective of 16-18 year olds. Saban has won 2 NC's during the high school career. He's annually on the cover of Forbes as the Most Powerful Man in College Football. Fisher? He was fired and is now 2-7 at his current job.

3. He aint coming...

The order in which I think we should pursue HC's:

1. A HC who has been successful as a HC in the SEC.

2. A HC who has been successul as a HC in a BSC conference with ties to the Southeast.

3. A HC who has been successful as a HC in a non BSC conference with ties to the Southeast.

4. An OC/DC who has been successful in the SEC.

5. An OC/DC who has been successful at a BCS conference with ties to the Southeast.

6. An NFL HC

7. An NFL OC/DC with ties to the Southeast

wde

1. The dynamics of the NFL game and the college game are vastly different. Which is why you rarely see coaches successfully make the transition. Drafting 21 to 23 years olds is drastically different from recruiting 16-19 year olds. Their is a much more equitable distribution of talent in the NFL (which is why Saban isnt a good NFL coach). In the pro's you get one 1st round pick. In college you have the opportunity to have 25. Commanding the respect and attention of grown men who out-earn you and who are more valuable to the team than you are is much different from commanding the respect and attention of poor teenagers.

2. He doesnt have a more impressive resume than Saban. Especially when you consider this from the perspective of 16-18 year olds. Saban has won 2 NC's during the high school career. He's annually on the cover of Forbes as the Most Powerful Man in College Football. Fisher? He was fired and is now 2-7 at his current job.

3. He aint coming...

You make my point for me. If you are leading multimillionaire's that have more authortiy in an organiziationi then a coach leading college kids is easy.

Also winning with the equitable distribuition of talent at the NFL would lead to believe where you can get your own talent and control it you will do better.

Thirdly Jeff Fisher has coaches in Super Bowl. Saban may win 18 titles but he cant say that.

Jeff Fisher is well known, well recogznied and would be a splash hire.

Sorry alot more HS kids know who he is then say Shawn Watson or the Charlie Strong.

wde

3. He aint coming...

You make my point for me. If you are leading multimillionaire's that have more authortiy in an organiziationi then a coach leading college kids is easy.

Also winning with the equitable distribuition of talent at the NFL would lead to believe where you can get your own talent and control it you will do better.

Thirdly Jeff Fisher has coaches in Super Bowl. Saban may win 18 titles but he cant say that.

Jeff Fisher is well known, well recogznied and would be a splash hire.

Sorry alot more HS kids know who he is then say Shawn Watson or the Charlie Strong.

1. You obviously dont have kids.

2. You obviously dont appreciate the fact that recuiting is a skill.

3. "Coaching" in a SB 12 years ago doesn not resonate in the minds of a 16- 18 year olds mind like "WINNING" 2 of the last 3 BCSCG's.

4. During their lifetime Charlie Strong is the more successful coach. Strong also knows how to sit in the living room of 16 - 18's. Fischer has never done it. Fisher may be the bigger "splash" in this Headline driven world but Strong is the better choice of the two. Petrino is the best.

Since the thread is presently discussing Jeff F, here is a short comment. Jeff Fisher is a very good coach. What would be just as important with HS kids would be who he would name as his coordinators and position coaches. With his experience and connections, I think he is the type of head coach that would bring in some very good coaches with him. Having said that, we don't know if he and AU are even interested in each other, however, he would definitely be a good hire imo.

I am getting a funny feeling that there will be no changes made, maybe a couple of position coaches but no major changes. I haven't heard or read anything just a gut feeling...( and I have a BIG gut)

How about Bo Pelini? Currently at Nebraska, was DC at LSU previously. SEC ties..... anyone?

I'm Not sure Bo would leave Nebraska but I could get used to his name being thrown into the mix. Still not a splash hire though IMO

How about Bo Pelini? Currently at Nebraska, was DC at LSU previously. SEC ties..... anyone?

I'm Not sure Bo would leave Nebraska but I could get used to his name being thrown into the mix. Still not a splash hire though IMO

Saw his name on a premium story attached to Auburn on ESPN, might be a possibility.

Hmm. I like the idea of Bo Pelini? I know hes probably the goofiest looking dude in football but he's a damn good head coach with a great record and SEC ties..

Hmm. I like the idea of Bo Pelini? I know hes probably the goofiest looking dude in football but he's a damn good head coach with a great record and SEC ties..

I don't know enough about him to evaluate him as a head coach and form an opinion, I just saw the article. I do like the simple sweatshirt that he wears. It beats a damn shacket.

Edit: just looking at his coaching history, at the places and his successes, looks pretty good. Super Bowl ring would be a good recruiting tool.

I also like the fact that Nebraska fans are freaking out at the thought of losing him.

Gus is my first choice but what about Matt Campbell of Toledo? Toledo is one of the top offenses in the country. His style of hurry up is similar to Gus. He loves to run the football. Watching Toledo reminds me of watching Gus at Tulsa.

War damn it

I think this might be the year Petersen leaves Boise. It's certainly worth a try.

Can we get off the Petersen bandwagon I dont understand why our fans are fixated with him. Their offense actually sucks this year. Go ask Colorado and Arizona State how well BSU head coaches fare in big time football.

Now go throw 20 mil at Jeff Fisher a real big @ick coach not some pantywaist from Boise.

Archived