General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

I'd also like us to hire Gary Patterson of TCU. I honestly feel we could get either Patterson or Petersen, Strong, Stoops, Spurrier or Gruden if the AD and the BOT's would dish out the money and turn full control of the football program over to the new head coach.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Urban came from Utah to coach Florida. I think that turned out to be a pretty darn well for both Urban and UF.

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Petersen or Patterson, please!

Peterson would be great if he would come to AU just wonder if we would even try to get him.

I agree. Chris Petersen would be perfect for Auburn.

He would also probably have been perfect for everyone else who tried to hire him and to whom he said no.

Very true.

I don't get the Chris Peterson club. I kinda feel like if you are going to coach in the SEC, you need to have some connections in the southeast. (HS coaches in AL, FL, GA, LA) The guy has been on the left coast his whole career. I think his 80-8 record is a little too magic show for me. I mean, wouldn't this be a legitimate concern? Or would he come in and kill it right away? I'm not too proud to say that I could be WAY off base with this, but, just my thoughts.

Just a little tidbit: Saban came from Michigan State to LSU. Meyer came from Utah to Florida. Miles came from Oky State to LSU (I think?) They all have won a NC or two or three in the SEC. Thinking outside the box is what AU needs. A new head coach can hire assistants with deeper knowledge of recruiting in the south.

Urban came from Utah to coach Florida. I think that turned out to be a pretty darn well for both Urban and UF.

Using your sound logic we should be looking at Taggart as well as Strong. Taggart is an up and comer and if he is not determined to stay at his alma mater (WKY) then he could be hired at AU much cheaper than some of the others & probably do as well or better. Think about it WKY gave bama a hard time this season despite being outclassed talent wise. Yeah I know bama probably played vanilla, but saban was obviously worried his team would not take WKY serious and for good reason.Unlike Peterson Taggart is from the South (Florida) and recruited FL, GA and KY in past jobs including for Stanford.

Peterson would be great if he would come to AU just wonder if we would even try to get him.

He would also probably have been perfect for everyone else who tried to hire him and to whom he said no.

Very true.

I don't get the Chris Peterson club. I kinda feel like if you are going to coach in the SEC, you need to have some connections in the southeast. (HS coaches in AL, FL, GA, LA) The guy has been on the left coast his whole career. I think his 80-8 record is a little too magic show for me. I mean, wouldn't this be a legitimate concern? Or would he come in and kill it right away? I'm not too proud to say that I could be WAY off base with this, but, just my thoughts.

Just a little tidbit: Saban came from Michigan State to LSU. Meyer came from Utah to Florida. Miles came from Oky State to LSU (I think?) They all have won a NC or two or three in the SEC. Thinking outside the box is what AU needs. A new head coach can hire assistants with deeper knowledge of recruiting in the south.

If we couldn't get Carroll then Peterson is the best option -- Paterson would be good but I not sure it would be an upgrade. Chris Peterson has been able to consistently beat top tier talent and recruit it to a team that by all other measures should be a bottom dweller in the BCS. No one doubts that Saban is a good coach but I am less impressed with his coaching ability than his ability to assess and recruit top talent. If it was just Saban that made the difference then he would have won championships before he got to a school that could attract top talent and he would've been a great NFL coach when he was given the opportunity. Strong would probably be a good choice for the same reason as Peterson. He does a lot and doesn't have a lot to work with as far as talent goes. So he would probably be competing for championships with the resources we have to offer, as long as he is able to recruit.

Very true.

If we couldn't get Carroll then Peterson is the best option -- Paterson would be good but I not sure it would be an upgrade. Chris Peterson has been able to consistently beat top tier talent and recruit it to a team that by all other measures should be a bottom dweller in the BCS. No one doubts that Saban is a good coach but I am less impressed with his coaching ability than his ability to assess and recruit top talent. If it was just Saban that made the difference then he would have won championships before he got to a school that could attract top talent and he would've been a great NFL coach when he was given the opportunity. Strong would probably be a good choice for the same reason as Peterson. He does a lot and doesn't have a lot to work with as far as talent goes. So he would probably be competing for championships with the resources we have to offer, as long as he is able to recruit.

We would alllllllllllllllll love to have Chris Petersen. It just is not going to happen! We have just as good a shot at getting Belichick.

Man am I going to be upset if this happens. Because we are obviously a better job and CGP has got to be at the top of the list of elite, proven coaches that are attainable.

Gary Patterson and Arkansas

From what I understand, we interviewed him when we hired Coach Chiz. It was reported, Patterson was so impressed he got up in the middle of the interview and walked out.

Man am I going to be upset if this happens. Because we are obviously a better job and CGP has got to be at the top of the list of elite, proven coaches that are attainable.

From what I understand, we interviewed him when we hired Coach Chiz. It was reported, Patterson was so impressed he got up in the middle of the interview and walked out.

Yeah I heard he came for a meet and greet and and a contract offer and instead they tried to interrogate him like he was some unproven up and coming coach instead of a proven winner.

Yeah I heard he came for a meet and greet and and a contract offer and instead they tried to interrogate him like he was some unproven up and coming coach instead of a proven winner.

Sounds like something we would do. I firmly believe JJ could figure out a way to screw up a fart.

I don't know if anyone else has put this out or not. I would say they ought to give at least a long hard look at James Franklin. This guy actually has Vanderbilt at the point of being relevant. He has done a masterful job as the coach there and with the resources AU has I think he would be an excellent choice.

Since the mods moved this. My OP said to hire Sumlin (pay him about 6 mil) and his staff. Then also pay him JJ's and TJ's salary and give him the title of AD and Assistant AD too.

wde

Can't win in SEC with spread..every knows that

they aren't running a full spread. it's a very mixed offense. remember kingsbury played for mike leach. it was developed from his old air raid offense with spread elements. either way, it's what we should have been running all year.

Archived