General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/could_auburn_be_preparing_to_fire_gene_chizik/12163909

The article suggest that Petrino has been contacted by a school interested in him and it's not Kentucky...according to BPs Dad....who the he!! knows at this point.

I wish we could get either Gary Patterson, Chris Petersen or Charlie Strong. Jimbo would be a good hire though. I just hope he doesn't bring that OL coach who use to coach here when Terry was here. I can't remember the name of the guy.

I wish we could get either Gary Patterson, Chris Petersen or Charlie Strong. Jimbo would be a good hire though. I just hope he doesn't bring that OL coach who use to coach here when Terry was here. I can't remember the name of the guy.

Rick Trickette.

Everyone needs to take a breath. Try not to take things as offensive, just as counter points/devil's advocate. Manziel as a 3 star...we've seen plenty of times the "3 star" guy outperforms the "5 star" once in college. Can we agree he's no 3 star now...as a RSF no less? Guss' O at Tulsa did incredible with lesser qbs, then he needed Cam to really perform in the SEC. Otherwise we were middle of the pack in the conference weren't we? Kingsbury could very well be an excellent HC, and may be "that guy" that proves that he can take a qb like KF and turn the team into an offensive jugernaut, but I just caution on running down a similiar path as before. Bringing in a Kingsbury as HC/OC would be a poor decision at this point for the program imo. You'll also NEVER get him away after this year as if there is another school other than bama that will pay BIG money for what it wants...it's aTm.

So glad someone made this point on here. This is what I tried to say all day saturday. Everyone talked about how briliant Kingsbury is as an OC. He may very well be. But everytime I see an aTm game I think of Gus and Cam. Maybe Kingsbury is good enough to be a giant killer every season. I just think until he is able to do it consistantly, and possibly without Manziel, the jury is still out. I remember how quickly BSPN and other sports outlets jumped on the Gus Bus, just to throw him under the bus after Cam went pro.

You know posts like this irritate me more than I can express with words on here. First of all, Gus was more than just Cam Newton. It has been stated over and over again that Gus was not allowed to run his offense anymore after the first half of the Clemson game last year. Overall, Ark. St's offense looks pretty good and that is being conservative. Gus has a vast body of work that was more than just Cam Newton. You might want to do some research.

Next, Kingsbury is a genius. Anybody who's been paying attention to anything I've said about the man knows I've been spouting him as a genius for a while now. I wanted him as offensive coordinator last year. He never even got a whiff from Auburn. Drop your love affair with the pro-set. Kingsbury has been producing wherever he's been. The man has gotten record setting production everywhere he has gone. Look, there is one thing in football I think we can agree on after all we've seen.

Winners win and Losers lose and that's how it is. Kingsbury wins wherever he goes. I said for a while A&M would upset Bama and people called me an idiot. I told them that Kingsbury is smarter than Smart and again I was called an idiot. Listen, Kingsbury is a genius. It's plain and simple. We'd be incredibly lucky to get that guy on as our HC. Is he a roll of the dice? Nope he's not. He's gotten every bit as much production from his offense as Bobby Petrino ever has. Furthermore, he doesn't come with the baggage that Petrino has. So, why is BP that much of a better choice than KK? That's simple: HE'S NOT A BETTER HIRE!

I mentioned his name as a joke a few weeks ago on this very thread. I'm sure nobody will admit to that now. They'll say I never said it. I promise you did but I said it as a joke because I thought nobody would take me serious. When someone did, I was quite willing to express why in fact he'd be a great hire. The man will be a GREAT coach somewhere why not here?

I agree that Kingsbury is a winner, that much is proven. Hiring him as the Head Coach is still a risk because being the HC is much much different than being a Coordinator. I am in no way saying he wouldn't be successful but it's most definitely not an apples to apples comparison. Some Coordinators really blossom in certain situations where they become HC but others fail miserably. There are people here who will disagree because of their biased hatred toward CGC for this season in particular but he was and could be again a great DC. His body of work as a DC was just as impressive as some other greats. He is apparently in over his head as a HC and I am not sure why. I know from experience that the next step up the ladder is not always something people can handle.

Now this is a fair argument. I can understand why someone would have this reservation. Personally, I completely disagree but it is a fair assessment. I think KK will be a great HC but I can understand why people are afraid of the risk. Yet, the man just has that "It" factor. On the risk factor though, in the end, every coach we can possibly hire is a risk. There's no way around it unfortunately. You never truly know how somebody will work out at any program until they've been there a while.

Even hiring established HCs brings an element of risk. Very true. He's an OC. Whatever TAMU is paying him to be an OC can't be matched by HC contracts elsewhere. Any coach with an ounce of ambition in him wants to be a HC eventually.

Everyone needs to take a breath. Try not to take things as offensive, just as counter points/devil's advocate. Manziel as a 3 star...we've seen plenty of times the "3 star" guy outperforms the "5 star" once in college. Can we agree he's no 3 star now...as a RSF no less? Guss' O at Tulsa did incredible with lesser qbs, then he needed Cam to really perform in the SEC. Otherwise we were middle of the pack in the conference weren't we? Kingsbury could very well be an excellent HC, and may be "that guy" that proves that he can take a qb like KF and turn the team into an offensive jugernaut, but I just caution on running down a similiar path as before. Bringing in a Kingsbury as HC/OC would be a poor decision at this point for the program imo. You'll also NEVER get him away after this year as if there is another school other than bama that will pay BIG money for what it wants...it's aTm.

So glad someone made this point on here. This is what I tried to say all day saturday. Everyone talked about how briliant Kingsbury is as an OC. He may very well be. But everytime I see an aTm game I think of Gus and Cam. Maybe Kingsbury is good enough to be a giant killer every season. I just think until he is able to do it consistantly, and possibly without Manziel, the jury is still out. I remember how quickly BSPN and other sports outlets jumped on the Gus Bus, just to throw him under the bus after Cam went pro.

You know posts like this irritate me more than I can express with words on here. First of all, Gus was more than just Cam Newton. It has been stated over and over again that Gus was not allowed to run his offense anymore after the first half of the Clemson game last year. Overall, Ark. St's offense looks pretty good and that is being conservative. Gus has a vast body of work that was more than just Cam Newton. You might want to do some research.

Next, Kingsbury is a genius. Anybody who's been paying attention to anything I've said about the man knows I've been spouting him as a genius for a while now. I wanted him as offensive coordinator last year. He never even got a whiff from Auburn. Drop your love affair with the pro-set. Kingsbury has been producing wherever he's been. The man has gotten record setting production everywhere he has gone. Look, there is one thing in football I think we can agree on after all we've seen.

Winners win and Losers lose and that's how it is. Kingsbury wins wherever he goes. I said for a while A&M would upset Bama and people called me an idiot. I told them that Kingsbury is smarter than Smart and again I was called an idiot. Listen, Kingsbury is a genius. It's plain and simple. We'd be incredibly lucky to get that guy on as our HC. Is he a roll of the dice? Nope he's not. He's gotten every bit as much production from his offense as Bobby Petrino ever has. Furthermore, he doesn't come with the baggage that Petrino has. So, why is BP that much of a better choice than KK? That's simple: HE'S NOT A BETTER HIRE!

I mentioned his name as a joke a few weeks ago on this very thread. I'm sure nobody will admit to that now. They'll say I never said it. I promise you did but I said it as a joke because I thought nobody would take me serious. When someone did, I was quite willing to express why in fact he'd be a great hire. The man will be a GREAT coach somewhere why not here?

I would like to clarify a few things here.

First off, great post. Kingsbury is definitely a great coach and is stock is rising fast. There is nothing I have seen to make me think he is not an offensive genius.

I never believed that Gus got a fair shot at Auburn. I have been a Gus fan since day one and believe he never got to run his offense the way he could have. I still watch the Arky St. games when I can and wish Gus was still our OC. And if we pass on a big name hire, don't get fisher or jimbo, I would not mind Gus at least being in the conversation for HC.

I know what a great job Kingsbury did at Houston and the waves he is making at aTm. By my comments I was trying to express the same concerns as others that a great OC does not always equate to a great HC. I think Kingsbury however will prove his doubters wrong and make a great head coach somewhere. I would just like to see a couple of more years as an OC in the SEC, going up against Uat, LSU, etc year in and year out before I wanted him to be our head coach.

I really feel like we could get Pete Carroll. I don't think he's happy in the NFL, and it's not like we're poor.

Quaint little town of Auburn does not have enough bright lights (and starlets) to attract a center-stage guy like Pete.

I agree that Kingsbury is a winner, that much is proven. Hiring him as the Head Coach is still a risk because being the HC is much much different than being a Coordinator. I am in no way saying he wouldn't be successful but it's most definitely not an apples to apples comparison. Some Coordinators really blossom in certain situations where they become HC but others fail miserably. There are people here who will disagree because of their biased hatred toward CGC for this season in particular but he was and could be again a great DC. His body of work as a DC was just as impressive as some other greats. He is apparently in over his head as a HC and I am not sure why. I know from experience that the next step up the ladder is not always something people can handle.

Now this is a fair argument. I can understand why someone would have this reservation. Personally, I completely disagree but it is a fair assessment. I think KK will be a great HC but I can understand why people are afraid of the risk. Yet, the man just has that "It" factor. On the risk factor though, in the end, every coach we can possibly hire is a risk. There's no way around it unfortunately. You never truly know how somebody will work out at any program until they've been there a while.

I agree. There is an adjustment even with an experienced HC moving to a different program but having been a successful HC at some point, I think they are more prepared for just how much BS is involved with the position that has nothing to do with coaching. There will be risks with anyone, you are correct but I think that there is less risk hiring someone who has been a HC before rather than an assistant and letting AU be his first shot at the top job. With that being said, I am not one of those people...I like the idea of a highly touted OC or DC getting a shot at it. Given the fact that you can win a NC one year and fall off two years later and lose your job anyway...what do you have to lose? The times have changed.

Kingsbury is going to be a star, but he is only 33 at this point, and has no head coaching experience. It might be very difficult for him to put together a high quality staff. Not a lot of more established coaches would want to take their marching orders from a guy 20 years younger than them. With that said, if we did go that route, I could definitely see him keeping most of our current staff in place. Would be good for the recruiting class, and I think our coaches would excel without Chizik meddling.

Malzahn won us a NC. I don't see how more people aren't on the Gus bus.

By that same logic, Chizik brought us an undefeated season in 2004 (and what should have been a BCS matchup with USC).

And we are now on the "Chizik Bus"...headed off the cliff.

I really feel like we could get Pete Carroll. I don't think he's happy in the NFL, and it's not like we're poor.

Quaint little town of Auburn does not have enough bright lights (and starlets) to attract a center-stage guy like Pete.

Correct you are Sir.

I'd take Gus. There aren't very many names out there right now that I would turn away. There are coaches that I would prefer, but the guy we get is gonna be better than the one we got.

You'd be surprised at how down to earth Carroll is. He would come down to Uncle Bill's Pancakes in Manhattan Beach (a small beach community near LA) and was very friendly. My (completely uneducated) take is that Carroll loves challenges and the chance to recruit and compete in the best conference in the country and against Saban would be selling point to him. I don't think it's that he would have a problem coaching in a small community, but the problem would probably be coaching across the country in the south, where he would seem to be a fish out of water. He's definitely a west coast guy.

If I was a decision maker at Auburn, I would definitely make a quick phone call. You can't receive if you don't ask. (Or something like that...)

Memory lane question. Who were the supposed front runners for the position when the announcement of Chizik came out of no where? I honestlycannot remember and I wonder if any of them have faired better.

Memory lane question. Who were the supposed front runners for the position when the announcement of Chizik came out of no where? I honestlycannot remember and I wonder if any of them have faired better.

Turner Gill was one. Supposedly Derek Dooley and Rodney Garner were interviewed as was Gary Patterson. Also, it was rumored the Patterson interview did not go well.

wde

take this for what it is

i have a buddy who sat in the box seats this past weekend and saw jacobs and some trustees and heard them going over the list. they were talking about 4 people: jimbo fisher, jeff fisher, charlie strong and somebody else. i forget the other name but i don't think it was malzahn. i will ask him again in a few. once again, take that for what it is.

Dont get the fascination with Jeff Fisher. First, its not even close to realistic, and secondly, out of his 17 years with the Oilers/Titans, he only finished above .500 6 times and won their division 3 times. He never had more than 2 consecutive winning seasons.

Dont get the fascination with Jeff Fisher. First, its not even close to realistic, and secondly, out of his 17 years with the Oilers/Titans, he only finished above .500 6 times and won their division 3 times. He never had more than 2 consecutive winning seasons.

which is better than saban or petrino.

not sure if i would want him either but must admit, am intrigued.

Archived