General coaching hire discussion (your random tossed out name is probably merged here)

TitanTiger

Who will be the next coach  

326 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be our next head coach?

• Gus Malzhan
    • Charlie Strong
    • Jimbo Fisher
    • Jeff Fisher
    • David Shaw
    • Bobby Petrino
    • Bob Stoops
    • Other

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't remember the name of the man who's head of Nike but he's a big Oregon State booster (may even be an alum) and he probably would make Chip Kelly's stay in Oregon very worthwhile. As for the national championship possibilities, I think ESPN would perform self-love over the prospect of Chip Kelly v. Nick Saban. Alabama v. Notre Dame would be a good ratings, but Alabama-Kansas State might be a ratings stinker (of course, Alabama-LSU ratings were not good). If all 4 of those teams end up undefeated, look for Alabama-Oregon for the BCSNC.

Hire GUS now BEFORE arky beats us to the punch.

What about Falcons DC Mike Nolan? He could bring the 3-4 to us and he has head coaching experience in the NFL.

Hell no on Nolan. I'm a Niners fan and just started being able to watch Sunday football again because of the mess he and Singletary left in SF. He changed coordinators at a rate that would make xCTT blush.

I don't understand how anyone could say Jimbo hasn't done anything with FSU...have yall been watching football for the last 10 years?

I think many people have an inflated view of how rich and powerful Florida State really is. Jimbo had a rebuilding job to do at FSU and while he has lost to some teams he shouldn't have (what coach hasn't?), hes brought in great recruiting, energized a small, lethargic fanbase, and has consistently won at a level that Bowden was unable to do in his last 5 years at FSU. b

No crap...everyone wants a coach with a perfect record I guess. That's just ignorant. Jimbo has done a lot with FSU...Bobby Bowden wore them out and it wasn't until Jimbo came along that it started to come alive again, some of you ppl don't know ur butt from a whole in the ground...geez.

Not to mention the guy has integrity, instills discipline, and has fire in him.

FSU has far better talent is the marquee school in their league, and FSU has not won a league title since Fisher has been there ...losing to NC State this year was unacceptable with that team he had....these are just facts, I just don't see him as a championship level coach....

He's been there about three years now, right? Bowden really had that place in a mess before he left. That team just looked inferior the last few years. He's done well to raise their standards to where they are.

Not even three years. He's in his third season now.

People are basically condemning they guy for not winning championships in his first 2 years a new school. For all its superior talent, FSU had only won 1 league title in the six seasons prior to Jimbo getting there.

That's my point. I'd personally like to get Garry Patterson, but my second choice is Jimbo. He's a man worthy of the Creed, has made FSU football relevant again, and I do believe he is a championship caliber coach. Geez ppl he's been a HC for what ..two and a half years now? And he's already making waves over at a school riddled with issues both on and off the field in recent years. And besides Petrino, I believe he's the next realistic available option. I feel if AU made him an offer he would jump ship and come back HOME and build a force to be reckoned with.

I just don't get wanting to hire Malzahn. Saban will eat him for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Oh, and dessert.

We shouldn't hire or not hire a person based on what Saban does. I think Gus was part of a team that had a win over Saban, eh? I really liked what Gus brought to the table offensively, I just personally lean toward a defensive minded Head Coach.

You want to really frost some people's behind in the State of Alabama ? Make Phillip Fulmer the next Auburn coach.

;D

...I like it.

He'll end up at Kentucky, though.

Charlie strong...has a ton of connections down here in recruiting...he wouldn't take all the bs that the administration throws at him..hes had sucess at Louisville and would be a great fit

While at Ohio State, Jim Tressell could never beat an SEC team.

This.

I just don't get wanting to hire Malzahn. Saban will eat him for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Oh, and dessert.

We shouldn't hire or not hire a person based on what Saban does. I think Gus was part of a team that had a win over Saban, eh? I really liked what Gus brought to the table offensively, I just personally lean toward a defensive minded Head Coach.

Are you kidding? How well a coach does depends on their success against the instate rivals. Just ask Doug Barfield, Mike Shula, and Gene Chizik in a few months. And if it weren't for Cam, who is probably the best player in CFB history, 2010 would have been mediocre offensively. By 2011, the SEC had completely figured his offense out.

You want to really frost some people's behind in the State of Alabama ? Make Phillip Fulmer the next Auburn coach.

;D

...I like it.

He'll end up at Kentucky, though.

It looks that way but wouldn't that be fun ? LOL

Charlie Strong

Jimbo Fisher

I don't see anyway Jimbo Fisher leaves FSU.

I just see Fisher and Strong as not that great. Solid, but not quite at that upper level.

I agree on Fischer-he's done nothing with FSU and they have all the resources AU has. Strong on the other hand has turned around a program that was slumping bad, much like AU. He has experience in the SEC and is a very good recruiter. He would also make it hard for Afro-Am. athletes in Alabama to go play for saban, (much like adorable Stacy Dash caught flack for backing Romney)

U were doing good until that last sentence...

You don't find Stacy Dash adorable? :dunno: Or you want to put your head in the sand and pretend that stuff like that doesn't happen in real life.

Stacy Dash is more than adorable, she's damn hot.

However, thinking a black head coach is going to de facto make Auburn the preferred school over Alabama for black players is ridiculous.

Precisely my friend

Strong is a strong recruiter and will win the families over. He is no Croom, who had zero personality. Personally if we don't hire Petrino I would be happy with Taggert, Strong, Malzahn, Peterson a number of NFL guys like Rocker or Whitt, Jr. (the Douglas kid that played for Louisville & the Falcons, who was Tony's brother told me good things about Whitt, jr.)

I tend to think many top college coaches would leave for Auburn from established, non-SEC head coaching jobs where they've either achieved all they probably will w/ their current program or their welcome is arguably stale with a fanbase. IMHO it's very VERY important they know southern football though. Timing would be bad for a project hire this time (i.e. small college head coach not used to big time pressures or college/NFL coordinators appearing ready for the top job):

Bob Stoops or Mike Gundy

(Charlie Strong, Dabo Swinney, Jimbo Fisher, and Al Golden are intriguing to consider).

I'm not in the camp of "fire Chizik" yet, just posting these for discussion.

There is one coach that I have seen over the last couple years that seems to have the best mind offensively in college football. If he got a good defensive coordinator, he would be just as good offensively as Petrino or for that matter, Gus Malzahn. No, before you even come up with it, he does not have any HC experience. That said, he produces everywhere he goes. Not only that, but he produces huge numbers. He's been around a winner in the NFL. That would be Kliff Kingsbury. Well, you said people who haven't been mentioned much LoL.

Kingsbury has the best offensive scheme in football, IMO. I would rather have him than most of the other candidates that have been mentioned.

It is about damn time somebody noticed how good he is offensively. That guy is amazing. We made a mistake never considering him for OC. I never understood why Kingsbury was not a choice. If you can stomach any of the TAMU game, you can see an offense geared specifically against Auburn's weaknesses. In fact, that's what TAMU has done all season. Not many could score like that on LSU in Death Valley. The man is a prodigy and he will be big time somewhere soon. In actuality, he'd be a great choice if he can get a very good defensive coordinator as well.

And how do you know this?

Have you watched the Iron Bowl the past 3 years? His offense was exposed and absolutely shut down, even with Cam.

Like he did at home in 2010 with a 24 point lead?

Can I ask a simple question to all posting? Why in the hell cant we hire somebody who has RINGS??

Pete Carroll-check

Gruden-check

Cowher-Check

Billick-Check

Clowns on here wanting Mark Hudspeth. Im sure Saban would be crapping in his pants at that hire.

No wonder we dont win are fans dont expect the best. And dont give me we cant them nonsense. Maybe AU cant but you damn sure should try exhausting all resources to do so. Thats why Jacobs needs to go he will have us hire the OL line coach at Buffalo or some nonsense.

While at Ohio State, Jim Tressell could never beat an SEC team.

This.

The 2011 sugar bowl, Jim Tressell beat Bobby Pertrino in his last game as the head coach of tOSU. This was Jim's only victory over an SEC team.

And how do you know this?

Have you watched the Iron Bowl the past 3 years? His offense was exposed and absolutely shut down, even with Cam.

I can't recall a team bama didn't shut down the past 3 years other than the 2010 AU team.

Archived